Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Aussie wedge tail eagle antics

Old Tuesday 2nd January 2018, 11:22   #1
aussiesteve

Aussie wedge tail eagle antics

G'day,
I have watched with astonishment as wedge-tailed eagles circle to climb high up to the jetstream.
Finally becoming a small dot in the sky, to then rocket across the sky like an F18 and vanish.
But, I was even more startled by the antics of one eagle while motoring around the Gulf country.
As I approached just before dusk, I could see the bird flap skywards holding what looked like a length of rope.
Then drop the rope and dive back down to grab hold of it again and repeat this caper.
As I slowly motored towards this scene, I naturally realized that the rope was a rather sizeable snake.
I stopped and watched this performance.
The bird finally achieved it's objective, to drop the snake draped across the barbed wire boundary fence.
No way was I getting out of the car to grab the camera, aussie snakes are definitely not friendly.
Especially something as big as this one was.
Once secured across the fence, the bird began pecking at the snake's head.
Dispatching the snake, it then flapped away with it's prize.
I do wish that I had grabbed the video camera.
Steve.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: