• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three weeks left - any tips? (1 Viewer)

cranefan

Hello all,

I've been studying here in Taipei since February, and have managed to see a good proportion of Taiwan's birds, especially considering my reliance on public transport or generous friends! There are a few species I've yet to see, and I wondered if anyone had any tips regarding reliable spots for these species that are reachable by public transport? Message me if you have any tips!

My targets remaining that should still be possible are: Taiwan Partridge, Chinese Bamboo-Partridge, Yellow Bittern, Slaty-legged Crake, Slaty-breasted Rail, Large Hawk-Cuckoo, Oriental/Himalayan Cuckoo, owls minus Collared Scops, Golden-headed Cisticola, Black-necklaced Scimitar Babbler, Dusky Fulvetta, Vinous-throated Parrotbill, Snowy-browed Flycatcher, Plain Flowerpecker, Brown Bullfinch.

Any tips would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks a lot!
Aron

Taiwan Partridge, Chinese Bamboo-Partridge, Black-necklaced Scimitar Babbler, Dusky Fulvetta, Vinous-throated Parrotbill, Snowy-browed Flycatcher, Plain Flowerpecker, & Brown Bullfinch are all available on the road to Dasyueshan or on some of the side roads. I put a trip report in Birdforum which gives more details of specific locations.

Thanks a lot, the problem is that Daxueshan is pretty much unreachable without your own transport, and I can't drive. If you know of anywhere with buses that would be amazing! I can get to Alishan which might be worthwhile, though I'm not sure what the birding is like there.

Thanks a lot, the problem is that Daxueshan is pretty much unreachable without your own transport, and I can't drive. If you know of anywhere with buses that would be amazing! I can get to Alishan which might be worthwhile, though I'm not sure what the birding is like there.

Alishan's not horrible if you get out early enough and stay away from the crowds. But finding some of those specific targets could be a challenge.

Getting up to Tatajia for some of the higher altitude species is problematic without your own transport though. I did a sunrise "tour" which got me some of the more common stuff, but I didn't have any chance to walk the trails.

Hello all,

My targets remaining that should still be possible are: Taiwan Partridge, Chinese Bamboo-Partridge, Yellow Bittern, Slaty-legged Crake, Slaty-breasted Rail, Large Hawk-Cuckoo, Oriental/Himalayan Cuckoo, owls minus Collared Scops, Golden-headed Cisticola, Black-necklaced Scimitar Babbler, Dusky Fulvetta, Vinous-throated Parrotbill, Snowy-browed Flycatcher, Plain Flowerpecker, Brown Bullfinch.

Sorry Aron I missed this post till now....if you still have any time left, these ones can be found near Taipei:

1. Chinese Bamboo Partridge....Wulai....walk teh road past the cemetery as high as you can go. I used to see them regularly at the top of the road.
2. Yellow Bittern....Huajiang....walk into the reeds near a viewing platform. Often see them in there but usually flying away!
3. Golden-headed Cisticola - Jinshan...need to get into the grasslands/wetlands near the main bridge;
4. Black-necklaced Scimitar-Babbler - Wulai, same road as (1)...never easy!;
5. Vinous-throated Parrotbill - Guandu - take the bike path and on your right at the start is a patch of reeds....look for noise and movement, they are usually there even with so many people going past;
6. Plain Flowerpecker - Wulai - easiest in Spring, walk the same road as (1) and listen for the distinctive call.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks so much for the tips! In Wulai, do you mean walk the round route past the school and cemetery, or to take the road going uphill that branches off that road? And in Guandu, do you mean the plank bike path that goes into the mangroves, behind the wharf?

No problem.....in Wulai take the road that branches off going uphill....right at the top it dead ends. When you get to the aggressive chained up dog keep going a little bit further to the end and around the last couple of houses I have often seen Bamboo Partridge in the early morning and even had a Chestnut-flanked White-eye there about 18 months ago. Black-necklaced Scimitar Babblers can be anywhere along that road but have had most luck just after the first bend and just before the second bend after passing the cemetery...also a good spot for Maroon Oriole and Black-throated Laughingthrush.

Guandu - yes that bike path.....from the temple go over the small bridge and on the right before the start of the mangroves is a large patch of reeds which always seems to produce Parrotbills. Summer time may of course be more difficult but early morning should still produce.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks so much for the tips! I know the road you mean in Wulai - I've attempted to head up it but have always turned back when faced with scary dogs. Taiwanese dogs are one thing I will definitely not miss when I head home next week. I'll head to Wulai tomorrow and see what I can find!

I went to the NTU Ankang Farm in Xindian today to look for parrotbills and cisticolas which I'd heard can be found there. No sign of either of them but a nice selection of common lowland birds, including loads of Taiwan Scimitar Babblers, prinias, munias, Black-naped Monarchs and a few Rufous-capped Babblers mixed in with a flock of white-eyes, the first time I've ever seen them in Taipei.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back