• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (1 Viewer)

Fingers crossed ! Would be great to get the video online so we could see it,

I viewed a video of the bird today and can confirm an adult female great spotted woodpecker in a private garden following item in local papers a few weeks ago. I got a few good replys but this is the only on with photographic evidence. The previous record suggests a juv bird with a red tuft on top of head and was *dude-identified* as a lesser in the area of Dunleer on Mooney. I'm not sure when juv gsp loose red tuft but this bird had no red tuft and is definately a female (red fringing is an artifact in image). If anybody wants to check out this bird text me on 0879145363 and we will see what we can organise. (shot is of video footage not actual bird which i have not (yet) seen).

Attachments

• gsw drumin.jpg
    gsw drumin.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 41
I viewed a video of the bird today and can confirm an adult female great spotted woodpecker in a private garden following item in local papers a few weeks ago. I got a few good replys but this is the only on with photographic evidence. The previous record suggests a juv bird with a red tuft on top of head and was *dude-identified* as a lesser in the area of Dunleer on Mooney. I'm not sure when juv gsp loose red tuft but this bird had no red tuft and is definately a female (red fringing is an artifact in image). If anybody wants to check out this bird text me on 0879145363 and we will see what we can organise. (shot is of video footage not actual bird which i have not (yet) seen).

I went for a walk with Lucky through Dromin this morning and flushed the Great spotted Woodpecker from the dead apple tree. It flew to some eucalypus trees at the back of the garden.The dead apple tree is at the front of the garden and is viewable from the road.

Well done Breffni!

Last edited:
I went for a walk with Lucky through Dromin this morning and flushed the Great spotted Woodpecker from the dead apple tree.
Hopefully you didn't flush it for good! No sign of it up to 2.30pm. :C
I spoke to the house owner - a very pleasant man. He says it has been there for 2 months. Rathascar is only a few fields away so that could be a likely roosting area, plus the bird has regularly flown in from and off to that direction. Hopefully it will show tomorrow.
Nice views of buzzard hovering above the road near the Ardee Cattle Mart on the way home - attached shot taken through rain covered windscreen so apologies if focus isn't 100%

Attachments

• DSCF7140.jpg
    DSCF7140.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
woodpec

this is my first GS WOODPECKER taken in DROMIN at 7.30am

Got the G. S . Woodpecker and Treecrepper today now 170 for my Louth list.

Attachments

• IMG_7803_edited.jpg
    IMG_7803_edited.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7815_edited.jpg
    IMG_7815_edited.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7850_edited.jpg
    IMG_7850_edited.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7796_edited.jpg
    IMG_7796_edited.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7848_edited.jpg
    IMG_7848_edited.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 47
I thought I had it in ballymac bay about two weeks ago. Still not got the GSW myself, though there is also a fine pair of britannicus type coal tits on the same feeder. Good numbers of tree sparrows, reed buntings and meadow pipits in at the minute.

Todays News

Don had 2 little auk off Clogherhead this morning. Enda also had 2 at Cruisetown several hours later (presumably the same birds). I spent several hours searching for them this afternoon between Hermitage and Cruisetown but to no avail. Enda had a velvet scooter off Cruisetown, which I did manage to get. Otherwise best was a flock of 41 Whooper (18 immatures) between Annagassan and Salterstown. One had a large yellow ring on right leg. Also a metal ringed oystercatcher at Salterstownbut I could not get close enough in the fading light to read it.

Also a dozen twite and a slav grebe at soldiers point + pink footed geese at lurgangreen per bins. Siskins at ravensdale and huge flocks of finches in the hedgerows along cooley...

Birds of Africa

Oscar Merne will give an illustrated talk on the "Birds of Africa" at the Spirit Store (upstairs) tonight, Monday 3rd Nov. at 8pm. The talk will recount Oscar's many adventures in search of birds and other wildlife in Africa. The talk will also cover Irish migrants that over-winter in Africa. Oscar Merne is one of Ireland's leading ecologists and spent most of his career as a senior scientist at the NPWS.

All are welcome!

Seems to be a invasion of waxwings into Britain yesterday and today - 517 recorded yesterday over 18 counties. Seems to be similar reports coming in today, including several from Irish Sea coastal areas Of Scotland, England and Wales. Also 2 in Sligo and one in Kerry over past few days.
With winds forecast to continue to be Easterly for Tuesday and Wednesday it's one to be keepin an eye out for!

Last edited:
Seems to be a invasion of waxwings into Britain yesterday and today - 517 recorded yesterday over 18 counties. Seems to be similar reports coming in today, including several from Irish Sea coastal areas Of Scotland, England and Wales. Also 2 in Sligo and one in Kerry over past few days.
With winds forecast to continue to be Easterly for Tuesday and Wednesday it's one to be keepin an eye out for!

I just found out tonight that my prediction was a bit on the late side - a small flock of waxwing were seen at Dundalk docks over the weekend!

I think its...

173 Barnacle Goose
Unless I have forgotten one?

Hi Peter et al

I have also been keeping a list of the Louth Birds recorded in 2008. I attach same and ask everyone to check and see if there are any corrections required. I also think someone had yellow legged gull?? - thus leaving the County Year list at 179

Thanks
Derek

Attachments

• Louth Bird List 2008.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I vaguely remember a ylg at seabannk? Was there a whinchat in the spring?

Yes there was a Yellow-legged Gull at Cruisetown in January and I think one at Seabank/Lurgangreen during the summer. I dont recall hearing of a Whinchat.

I am missing 20 from the list for the year putting me at 159

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back