• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (6 Viewers)

Twite at solderis point on sunday...

Attachments

• twite soldiers point evening.jpg
    twite soldiers point evening.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 80
  • twite soldiers point.jpg
    twite soldiers point.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 67
Hi Peter et al

I have also been keeping a list of the Louth Birds recorded in 2008. I attach same and ask everyone to check and see if there are any corrections required. I also think someone had yellow legged gull?? - thus leaving the County Year list at 179

Thanks
Derek

179, i think is correct,ylg recorded at seabank & cruisetown by a number off observers

List For Louth

Hi Peter et al

I have also been keeping a list of the Louth Birds recorded in 2008. I attach same and ask everyone to check and see if there are any corrections required. I also think someone had yellow legged gull?? - thus leaving the County Year list at 179

Thanks
Derek

Birds on list that i have not seen are,BEWICK SWAN, BARNACLE GOOSE,LITTLE STINT,WOODCOCK,SABINES GULL,BLACK TERN,LITTLE AUK,SHORT EARED OWL,WAXWING.

Birds on list that i have not seen are,BEWICK SWAN, BARNACLE GOOSE,LITTLE STINT,WOODCOCK,SABINES GULL,BLACK TERN,LITTLE AUK,SHORT EARED OWL,WAXWING.

Maurice Conaghy saw a Short Eared Owl at Baltray Beach again recently. There were 2 there last winter so it's likely to be around for some time.

Articles

A few articles from the summer - published in the local papers but need a home...it was the woodpecker piece that resulted in finding the bird at Dromin.

Attachments

• shelducklings2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 755
  • song thrush anvil2.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 559
  • Have you seen this bird2.pdf
    92.9 KB · Views: 81
Redwing flying overhead, calling, last night and the night before...
I have noted large movements over the past three nights. Quiet tonight. During the daytime yesterday many birds were calling over the Dundalk area. Difficult to pin point direction of travel but I think it was mostly due SW.

Last edited:
I heard reports of a Short-eared Owl at Baltray last week. Anybody know when or where it was seen?

Margaret's probably your best bet - did you see her posting above on 6 November 22.09?

Unfortunately I'm not getting out as much recently, as it is my busy time of the year at work. Best this morning in and around Dundalk were 12 Twite at Soldiers Point. No sign of waxwing at usual haunts - anyone else notice a very poor crop of berries this year?

Here's a few photos I took recently - mostly in very poor light so they give a good indication of camera's performance at high ISO in poor light.

Attachments

• GHeron.jpg
    GHeron.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Curlew.jpg
    Curlew.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Greenshank1.jpg
    Greenshank1.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 55
  • CGullWinter.jpg
    CGullWinter.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 65
  • GCG.jpg
    GCG.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 65
A merlin was hunting along the shore in high wind this morning, also a flock of 25 or so greylags heading north...

Attached another of those articles...I got quite a lot of feedback for this one.

Attachments

• April Swallows edited2.pdf
    597.6 KB · Views: 486
I had a sandpiper that I couldn't pin down at Marsh road yesterday - probably a common sandpiper...

Here's another piece - this one attracted a complaint from a local pigeoner on the grounds that it tarred all with the same brush - I think its fair enough!

Attachments

• Farewell to the Falcons of Slievenaglog2.pdf
    108.5 KB · Views: 612
I have a report of a female yellow wagtail in a garden beside lurgangreen (in rock view estate in Blackrock). No photo but sounds good!

I have a report of a female yellow wagtail in a garden beside lurgangreen (in rock view estate in Blackrock). No photo but sounds good!

Sounds nice..but probably a Grey Wag...keep us informed

I had a male and female type Hen Harrier and 19 Twite at Soldiers Point this afternoon.

The hen harriers kept every thing moving around.

Attachments

• maleHH.jpg
    maleHH.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 74
  • ringtail.jpg
    ringtail.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 78
Sounds nice..but probably a Grey Wag...keep us informed

I had a male and female type Hen Harrier and 19 Twite at Soldiers Point this afternoon.

Well done on both HH's Peter. I was down there for a while this morning and neither were observed. There must be at least 6 HH's wintering along the Louth coastline.

On the possible yell wag, I had a quick look around for 15 mins before darkness fell this evening but nothing to report.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back