• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (3 Viewers)

I'll redo that walk along the navvy bank on sunday - though would suggest moving time to 2pm as high tide is about noon (adjusting for summertime)...weather looks great...anyway I'll show up either way.

breffni said:
interesting - did it mention where the snipe were supposed to be breeding? also red grouse bred in cooley in the 60s and there is a remote chance that there is still a pair up there (there was an unconfirmed sighting a few years back). also i reckon gropper has to be breeding at mulahattin and maybe elsewhere...

Snipe seemed to be breeding in just about every 10km square in 1972. In fact they common country wide!There must be a few pair still knocking about? I must look out for them this spring. I think your right about groppers. Do the Oyster catcher pair still nest along the coast some where up near Ballagan?. I know I read a paper recently about breeding Oystercatcher on the east coast I will try to dig it out. Now that you mention it there have been recent national surveys for Red Grouse and Ring Ouzel so that should be easy to find. Did Red breasted Merganser/shag ever nest in or around Carlingford lough? Also Teal seemed to have been breeding in or around Dundalk. Best guess so far we had about 100 species breeding in 1972 and about 80 now, a decline of 20% in less than 40 years. Scary stuff.

I have offered to Dick Coombes that I will right a short paper on it for the Irish East Coast Bird Report. I have contacted Paul Hillis of the Rare breeding panel to see if he can shed some light on the possible breeding species.

If anybody has any other thoughts/ records they can put them up on the forum

Thanks

Peter

breffni said:
I'll redo that walk along the navvy bank on sunday - though would suggest moving time to 2pm as high tide is about noon (adjusting for summertime)...weather looks great...anyway I'll show up either way.

Sorry, I cant make the walk, I have to work

Peter

breffni said:
interesting - did it mention where the snipe were supposed to be breeding? also red grouse bred in cooley in the 60s and there is a remote chance that there is still a pair up there (there was an unconfirmed sighting a few years back). also i reckon gropper has to be breeding at mulahattin and maybe elsewhere...

Peter, Breffni

Interesting stuff lads, nice (if somewhat depressing) to see time-series analysis. By way of further info Reed Warbler bred in Bellurgan in 1981 and were also present in Balmer's Bog the same year. They bred in Down and Antrim same year and have bred since in both (infrequently in Down; seem to have colonised Portmore Lough though). They must be passing along Louth coast at least on way back up!!

Also Lapwing would have been categorised as probable breeders (using Atlas conventions) when I lived up that way in the mid 80s - early 90s. Pairs mobbing corvids out Carrick Road, Castle Roche & Kilkerley directions noted in some years during breeding season. I haven't been up in these areas lately but there's always the possibility.

Grey Partridge also out towards Mullyash - Lochantarbh area.The general area also seemed a likely spot for Quail in good years but I never noted them.

I'd be surprised if Grasshopper Warbler was confined to Mullaghattin and as Snipe are still breeding down Fingal way I'd expect them to be reasonably widespread in suitable habitat in Louth.

Also mountain-walking neighbour had Red Grouse in Cooleys in Feb(?) 2006; he's not an out and out birder but knows RG from Wicklow - I've no reason not to believe him. Any releases going on by gun clubs up there?

Regards,

Dave

dfd said:
Peter, Breffni

Interesting stuff lads, nice (if somewhat depressing) to see time-series analysis. By way of further info Reed Warbler bred in Bellurgan in 1981 and were also present in Balmer's Bog the same year. They bred in Down and Antrim same year and have bred since in both (infrequently in Down; seem to have colonised Portmore Lough though). They must be passing along Louth coast at least on way back up!!

Also Lapwing would have been categorised as probable breeders (using Atlas conventions) when I lived up that way in the mid 80s - early 90s. Pairs mobbing corvids out Carrick Road, Castle Roche & Kilkerley directions noted in some years during breeding season. I haven't been up in these areas lately but there's always the possibility.

Grey Partridge also out towards Mullyash - Lochantarbh area.The general area also seemed a likely spot for Quail in good years but I never noted them.

I'd be surprised if Grasshopper Warbler was confined to Mullaghattin and as Snipe are still breeding down Fingal way I'd expect them to be reasonably widespread in suitable habitat in Louth.

Also mountain-walking neighbour had Red Grouse in Cooleys in Feb(?) 2006; he's not an out and out birder but knows RG from Wicklow - I've no reason not to believe him. Any releases going on by gun clubs up there?

Regards,

Dave
Hi Dave

I checked the reed beds between bellurgan and tippins estate and balmers (and a few other places) for reed warbler last year but nothing could i find - part of the belurgan area is inaccessable.

A survey for red grouse scheduled today was called off - apparently there is a "dispute" between various parties regarding the RG (validity of hibernicus sub-species, habitat destruction, regulatory compliance etc) see http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2007/0327/1174528657278.html and http://buckplanning.blogspot.com/2007/03/hunting-group-takes-legal-action.html - the record is interesting - three pairs were found in the mournes a two years ago and the whole of NI is estimated to hold no more than 212 pairs - no official releases in Cooley anyway...habitat in cooleys is perfect for RG...where exactly in the Cooleys was the bird seen?

Last edited:
dfd said:
Peter, Breffni

Regards,

Dave

Thanks for that Dave very interesting. Another small piece of the puzzle.

Peter

I have heard reports of Reed Warbler breeding around Cortial Lake in Kilcurly a few years ago. I've seen Reed Warblers when fishing about 18 months ago on Brothers lake in Carrick( The one on the right as you enter Carrick)

At Clogherhead yesterday they have 4 more nest holes put into the old pier. There were 2 pairs of black guillemots hanging around, one pair seemed to be checking out the first set of nest holes in the outer pier.

Still haven't seen any swallows, the weather seems to have brought out a nice few butterflies though.

Saturday afternoon there was a good show of geese at Lurgangreen again, I counted a 590 greylags, 38 white fronted and 28 pinkfeet. Lots of brent but they were very flighty.

gareth2005 said:
I have heard reports of Reed Warbler breeding around Cortial Lake in Kilcurly a few years ago. I've seen Reed Warblers when fishing about 18 months ago on Brothers lake in Carrick( The one on the right as you enter Carrick)

Brothers Lake; Is this the small lake ( a couple of acres in size) with parking access at the northern end? It is visable as you exit from the main Derry road heading towards Carrick on the right just before the roundabout. To access it you take the right off the roundabount and the car park is a couple of hundred metres on your right.

Do you have directions for Cortial lake?

Thanks

Peter

Enjoyed the good weather over the week-end, though out and about it was fairly quiet. Grey wagtails here and there, buzzards around Mulahattin, otherwise very quiet there. Greenshanks and Ruff at Seabank.
Must remember to be careful when parking at the Quay in Dundalk!!

Attachments

• tn_House Sparrow eating Wheat 2007 1.JPG
    tn_House Sparrow eating Wheat 2007 1.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 130
  • tn_Ruff & Greenshank at Seabank 2007 1.JPG
    tn_Ruff & Greenshank at Seabank 2007 1.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 105
  • tn_Grey Wagtail Cooley 2.JPG
    tn_Grey Wagtail Cooley 2.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 103
  • tn_Little Red Number, Quays, Dundalk.JPG
    tn_Little Red Number, Quays, Dundalk.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 108
Brothers Lake as its known locally also known as Lisanisk Lake as far as I know is the first lake on your left as your leaving Carrick on the Dundalk road.
http://www.fishingireland.net/fishing/pike/monaghan.htm

Cortial Loch is as far as i'm aware this one http://www.iolfree.ie/~srameen/html/Cortialintro.html

This one is interesting http://www.iolfree.ie/~srameen/html/BirdWatch.html
There was a Mr Mullen that was an avid birdwatcher that lived there these might be his sites. Note the record of as Hen Harrier there in 1999!

gareth2005 said:
Brothers Lake as its known locally also known as Lisanisk Lake as far as I know is the first lake on your left as your leaving Carrick on the Dundalk road.
http://www.fishingireland.net/fishing/pike/monaghan.htm

Cortial Loch is as far as i'm aware this one http://www.iolfree.ie/~srameen/html/Cortialintro.html

This one is interesting http://www.iolfree.ie/~srameen/html/BirdWatch.html
There was a Mr Mullen that was an avid birdwatcher that lived there these might be his sites. Note the record of as Hen Harrier there in 1999!

Thanks Gareth,

I learn more about this small county by the week!

Peter

Peter Phillips said:
gareth2005 said:
Cortial Loch is as far as i'm aware this one http://www.iolfree.ie/~srameen/html/Cortialintro.htmlQUOTE]

Hi Gareth,

Do you know which road from Dundalk you take for Cortial Lake and is there access/ parking?

Peter

Its hard to explain, what I call call Cortial lake is located just south of McElroys eggs yard if your familiar with them.
If you drive to Hackballscross on the Blayney road out of Dundalk and take the turn to the left for Knockbridge. Drive on this road and go through the first crossroads you will come to a fairly blind hill on a corner which has a red brick house on the right hand side with a large yard at the rear( this is McElroys ) the lake is on the right hand side after this house. There are a few trees around it and the lake is not visible from the road but the reeds are. Access is limited, there is a Deer farm on one side of it also.
I was trying to find you a map but the NASA worldwind version it was on no longer contains detailed maps of this area.

Peter, I've scanned the os map showing Cortial lake and emailed it to you in case it helps. Haven't been there myself either but looks interesting.

ardnasx1 said:
Peter, I've scanned the os map showing Cortial lake and emailed it to you in case it helps. Haven't been there myself either but looks interesting.

Thanks for that Sandra. Will pay it a visit early in the summer.

Peter

At Beaulieu yesterday (wt Steve and Chris, which was educational) counted 11 grey heron nests, at least two with chicks. Also at least six little egrets, several in full breeding plumage, one pair copulating. Also five or six sand martins, and later a swallow near Clogher. No sign of black guillemots at clogher but now at least 13 pairs at Giles quay. Dowitcher showing nicely yesterday - starting to come into pummer plumage...

Attachments

• little egret beaulieu 4 apr 07.jpg
    little egret beaulieu 4 apr 07.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 97
breffni said:
At Beaulieu yesterday (wt Steve and Chris, which was educational) counted 11 grey heron nests, at least two with chicks. Also at least six little egrets, several in full breeding plumage, one pair copulating. Also five or six sand martins, and later a swallow near Clogher. No sign of black guillemots at clogher but now at least 13 pairs at Giles quay. Dowitcher showing nicely yesterday - starting to come into pummer plumage...
Were the little egrets calling? It's a strange gurgling squawk, quite different from the heron call, and certainly not in keeping with their elegant appearance!

Visited Beaulieu briefly for my first time on Wednesday, very nice place. Went fishing for a few hours last night on the Monaghan/Cullyhanna side of Muckno. There are 2 small Islands nearby which seem to have nesting Herons on them. Also saw 2 pairs of Great Crested Grebes displaying to each other. Couldn't have picked a nicer evening for it !

On cortial lake, apparently it was going to be turned into a Trout fishery a few years ago but planning was turned down. Not before the fisheries board surveyed the lake and removed all the Pike from it and moved them to Drumcah lake. Apparently there was a Pike of over 30Lb's found.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back