Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Communal dining affair

Old Sunday 7th January 2018, 03:54   #1
aussiesteve

Communal dining affair

While camped on the Wollondilly River last year, as dusk approached, I witnessed an amusing communal dining affair.
A mob of roos were slowly grazing along the river bank.
Off to the side were a line up of monitor lizards waiting to sprint in and grab any bugs unearthed by the roos.
A small flock of willy wagtails were darting to and fro pecking at the roo tail tufts for any nits and lice.
Each roo enduring this manicure only for so long, and then giving a swipe at the offending willy wagtail.
The deposed willy wagtail then fluttering to the next vacant roo to start pecking.
I sat watching this caper until my belly demanded attention, and I grabbed my tucker to wander up to the bar-b-ques.
Sadly, I didn't think to aim the camera at this caper.
Steve.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: