• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More useful IS, 10x30 or 12x36 (1 Viewer)

Robert Ellis

Larus marinus
Which is more useful? The 10x is a handier size with a wider field, the 12x is more powerful and has the second generation stabilization, IS Mk II or such. The specifications show the 10x can correct for 1 degree of shake and the 12x for 0.8 of a degree. This will replace a grab and go scope and also be used for birding where forest and shore are on the same hike.

We bought my father-in-law a pair of the 10x30s, which I have used from time to time. Santa wife got me a pair of the 12x36 IIs for Christmas, and I must say I am quite willing to sacrifice some field for the 12x magnification. A stable view at 12x is a different world than my old 7x views, and I sure enjoyed some fine views of Scarlet Tanagers and Northern Orioles in the Serviceberry in my backyard. This past Tuesday I had some nice views of male and female Black-backed Woodpeckers on the snags in a beaver pond up in the northern Adirondacks (upstate NY, USA).

My recommendation - 12x is a good choice and will provide more detail than 10x will.

Clear skies, Alan

I have a pair of 12X36s and Alan says it all, I love them, the only minor niggle I have is the close focus isn't that good so sometimes you find yourself in the odd possition of backing away from something to have a better view.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
I have a pair of 12X36s and Alan says it all, I love them, the only minor niggle I have is the close focus isn't that good so sometimes you find yourself in the odd possition of backing away from something to have a better view.

Mick

Mick,

Yes, aside from the new 10x42 LS IS, the close focus on the IS models is not very good. A minor price to pay, IMHO.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back