• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

Mike Feely said:
I'm hoping it will still be there Next Saturday (27th), my fist visit to Norfolk this year. Thankfully, these things seem to stick around for a bit, so fingers crossed.

Does anyone know the latest on the water level situation at Welney? I heard last week (i think) that most of the washes are under nearly 3m of floodwater - is this still the case & are the approach roads passable? (Ususally pop in on the way back in Jan).

Cheers in advance

Mike
Hi Mike
Go via the A10 and Ten Mile Bank and you should be OK.
Sue

SueBryan said:
Hi Mike
Go via the A10 and Ten Mile Bank and you should be OK.
Sue

Thanks for the advice Sue, hopefully there won't be much more rain this week or we'll have to go the long way round after Welney!

Cheers

Mike

A walk round my patch

It was a nice day bright but still windy.Just as I was about to leave the garden,everything on the feild behind where I live took to the air. So I'me immediatly searching the sky to see what could have put them up.Then I saw this speck gliding towards me,riding the strong wind. I thought Sparrow Hawk, no to big and powerful.The sun caught it and it was very brownish.Still coming on, am I going to identify it before I can read its label.I discounted Marsh Harrier ,the V shaped glide wasn't there. A Buzzard. No wings were pointed but powerful not broad and fanned at the tips.Still coming on I could start to make out the face but the colour was throwing me.A broad but distinct moustoche, Brown streaks not bars on its front. As it banked and alighted onthe feild, Isaw a lighter flash of rump and a clear light band on the end of the tail feathers.It was still about 200 metres away in the feild.I was enjoying watching it for about 10 minutes, when a Fox in superb condition sauntered out from the hedge to take a look roundand off went my bird. I thought to myself,I will look forward to seeing you when you are an adult as I said farewell to my juvenile Peregrine Falcon. A young female by its size. I had only taken about three steps of my walk and hadn't left the garden yet. I was wondering should I go on?

ARTHUR BISHOP said:
I thought to myself,I will look forward to seeing you when you are an adult as I said farewell to my juvenile Peregrine Falcon. A young female by its size. I had only taken about three steps of my walk and hadn't left the garden yet. I was wondering should I go on?

Very nice sighting

..is it me or does there seem to be bucket-loads of peregrines in norfolk at the moment?

Matt

Very rough over the last few days, howling wind, quite a bit of rain. Woke me up twice last night.

Extremely blustery today. Was difficult going through the geese around the Horsey area but eventually came across a couple of Tundras. A friend of mine had double figures in the large flock that was knocking around Winterton area y'day. There's also been a Barnacle in with pinks and a Rough-legged Buzzard was reported y'day from Martham area but no sign this morning.

Had a leisurely stroll around Barton this afternoon and took in the Great Northern Diver.

And an eventful evening introducing the new cat to our greyhound!

Tim

Went to Titchwell this morning.

Saw a sparrowhawk on route from King's Lynn.

Walked straight out to the sea and stood on the platform and started to scan the sea. I decided to move on the rocks in the middle of the beach as a couple sitting on the seat were having a 'domestic'!!!!! So I crossed the desert sandstorm to seawatch, not for very long though as a there were a couple of freak gusts that pushed the sand even harder swirling the sand at ferocious speed all around me, binoculars started to fill with sand!!!! Saved the scope just in time, would have been even quicker if I had had a stay-on-case (STILL WAITING NIKON!!!!!!!) `Had to rumage around in rucksack to find cover + caps. Saw several scooter very close in, 2 red throated divers, slavonian grebe, golden eye x 4, guillimots, eider, 1 long tailed duck. Walked back with eyes full of sand (yuck) and saw usual birds on scrapes including several nice pintail, a little gull amongst the black headed gulls, redshanks, 2 snipe, golden plover, bar tailed godwit, curlew, reed bunting, shelduck, wigeon, pochard, more golden eye, lapwings, starlings and avocets. Didn't see any marsh harriers or bearded tits, didn't expect to really, they were probably tucked up somewhere, too windy - AND I still havn't seen a heron this year yet!!!!. Went back round by the Fen Hide, nothing much round there, lots of usual finches on the feeders: greenfinch, goldfinch, chaffinches, house sparrows, blue tits. Had a vege pastie at the 'Feeding Station' and then drove to Thornham to have another look at the Lesser Yellowlegs. My mother had just arrived on her pushbike to view the bird for the first time. We both saw the bird, lovely views in the sunshine and chatted to several people we knew. I got to take several pictures this time, hopefully they will turn out ok (not digital yet), will send the slide film off next week. Saw about 30 twite here as well, 1 rock pipit and about 20 pied wagtails flew over. Apparently a Titchwell warden said that someone had seen a Dartford Warbler in this area at 9am, don't know if anyone has seen it since though, hopefully its seen again!!! BF Norfolkbirder was also there snapping away with a BIG camera.

Drove up to fields around Thornham and back down via Choosley Barnes to look for owls (4.30ishpm) but nothing about from pinkfeet in the fields. It was an excellent day until I got home.

I had just dished up a "Penny Special" which consists of loads of stuff thrown in a pan, when I heard a loud thud, my cat's ears went back, 2 'little people' ran pass my kitchen door, I ran to front of house (nothing through letter box) so looked out of front door to see two eggs running down my front window!!!!!! Little ba***ds - my temper went through the roof - I shot back in, grabbed my torch, shot back, locked front door and sprinted down the alleyway (runs down the side of my house) to catch the little s*ds, I was only seconds behind whoever it was and saw the tail end of 2 little boys (who had been running and excited conversation) going into a house with their mother and then closed door - there was noone else around and intuition told me it was them, so I knocked on the door (mother answered) and said 'excuse me, I saw you were just in front of me, you havn't seen two little boys have you running past here have you? (one of the boys comes to the door 'what little boy' he says (I immediately know its him by his tone and at this point want to strangle him!) I then said how someone had thrown 2 eggs at my window which is quite frightening when you live on your own etc etc and the little boy said 'I would have tripped him up if I had seen him' (isn't he FUNNY). I then said 'sorry to disturb you - I shall carry on looking for them, if I find them I'll kill them (well in a jokey sort of way - ok I was being serious!!!) I just don't understand some children/parents - we wouldn't have even considered doing that as children, its made me cross all evening. My shoes and torch are by the door ready!!! But I expect they are all tucked up in bed now! (sorry going completely off thread here!!!!)

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Last edited:
Penny Clarke said:
Ha Ha Ha :D ;) :D ;)

Hope you had a better one Sue!!!

Retiring now - work in morning.

Best Wishes Penny

I went overto Cantley to see the Bean Geese! I also spent time sorting through thousands of Pinkfeet to locate 2 Tundra Bean Geese near Horsey Mill.

Today I went to Lynford Arboretum where there were at least 5 Hawfinches.
However the most interesting thing of note was a Red Admiral Butterfly sunning itself on a tree trunk!

Good Birding
Sue

Geoff Pain said:
Anybody know if the Snow Geese are still about...

Hi Geoff,
The most recent report I can find for Snow Goose in the county is 1 mile ENE of Docking, the intermediate morph, on 10th January. Back to 6th January for the white morph, Snettisham RSPB. Don't let that put you off coming though, we've got a whole lot more to offer!

James

Last edited:
there are a few Tundras (double figs) around the general area at the moment. Keep grilling the flocks until you find them.

cracking weekend - lovely and clear. Loads of decent flocks of Lapwing, Goldies etc in the area. Pinks have increased 25% at least i reckon over the last five-seven days. Also had what i'm sure was a Woodlark (tailess and bouncy flight) moving up the coast but couldn't clinch it.

Large flock of pinks right by the west side of B1159 on my way to work this morning. Exceptionally close to the road for this area.

I think the white morph Snow Goose has now departed Norfolk - one was seen heading NW over a site in Notts a few days ago, and I think may have ended up in Scotland somewhere.

As Frootshoot rightly says, though: there's plenty more to see leaving this aside!

lovely bike ride into Norwich this morning down the back lanes ... blue sky & a (NE) tailwind . no-one else about

c.50 Pinkfeet over at the crack of dawn, lots of lapwing / plovers around in the general Mautby / Thrigby / Stokesby area. Hundreds of Corvids in a stream over & out onto the marshes. Barn Owls seen at Filby Heath(1) , 2 at stokesby, & 1 atPanxworth with a catch

and a Hare

Geoff Pain said:
Anybody know if the Snow Geese are still about,hoping to come down on Wednesday for a few days.

I saw the white morph with Pink Footed Geese in a field north of the A149 between Morston and Stiffkey on Wednesday 10th. Meant to report it to BG, but forgot!

Japanese Green Pheasant

Do any of you guys have any knowledge of or information or opinions on the ‘dark green’ Pheasants that are becoming increasingly abundant in east Norfolk? These birds first appeared perhaps 15+ years ago around an area known as Bengate in Worstead CP; basically fields around the southern end of the A149 ‘North Walsham bypass’. They have since spread out and I’ve seen them very close to the coast recently.

Googling Japanese Green Pheasant returns photos of birds remarkably similar to the Pheasants in question. As well as males there are female birds around which appear considerably darker than our ‘normal’ female Pheasant. Shooting takes place in this area and perhaps some Japanese Greens were reared/released by this syndicate? I’ve seen very dark/melanistic type ‘regular’ Pheasant in the past but they look like melanistic Pheasants whereas the birds I’m querying don’t.

I’m not hugely into listing but perhaps there’s a potential cat C tick here for those who are. Any ideas anyone…?

James

no idea or opinions as such ... but there are often a fair few 'dark green' Pheasants in fields along the old road from Acle to Salhouse, cant recall seeing ANy the Norwich side of Salhouse though

5 Little Egrets out across the marshes between Stokesby & Runham this afternoon, 100's Lapwing in various fields. 1 Barn Owl /Stokesby levels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back