• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on a race of Pheasant that seem to becoming more common.

I filmed a dark bird outside Docking last week. Link below.

I was told they were brought in because they were better flyers and offered more sport in the game shooting circles.

In good light this bird looked like a oil spill, a host of greens and purples could be seen as the sun hit its back. It really was a cracking bird.

Cheers folks

http://apprenticebirdersdiary.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/13338548-japanese-green-pheasant-type

I'm seeing a lot again now too. They became common in some areas a few years ago but had seemed to declined a bit, but they seem to be appearing more again now - I've seen loads between Crabbe Castle Farm (south of Wells) and Wighton this week in my lunch breaks.

These birds are a mutant variation of Common Pheasant that I believe is achieved through selective breeding rather than hybridisation - despite their superficial similarity to Japanese Green Pheasants they are NOT Japanese Green Pheasants. Unfortunately various bird reports, including our own, persist in reporting them as Japanese Green Pheasant, but, not for lack of trying, I am yet to find any evidence at all that there has ever been a Japanese Green Pheasant in the wild in Norfolk. Green Pheasants have pale blue rump and wing-coverts, which these birds don't. The variant does have a name - 'tenebrosus'. Properly they should be referred to as var. tenebrosus.

People often refer to them as melanistic, but I understand that that's not technically correct as the plumage is irridescent green/blue/purple and only appears black in certain lights or from a distance. Interestingly some of the females have quite pale fringes to their feathers, which would be odd if they really were melanistic.

I can't answer why they are released - another theory I heard (I think I read it on the website of someone selling them) is that they survive and breed well in the wild.

Some photos on my website - www.gobirding.eu/Photos/Pheasant.php

Another variant of Pheasant I've started to see recently, especially in the Brecks but also in NW Norfolk, is one with snow-white upperparts. I can't find any reference to these anywhere online - does anyone know if this mutation has a name? Some photos of these on the same link.

Edit - ah, sorry, I didn't see James' post (and thanks for the link James)

Last edited:
Hi all, a mate and fellow Birdforum enthusiast is in Norfolk now, but BGuides are down and this is who he would use for news - so, any updates today that can be posted on here would be very much apprecaited, and I will text him.

Hes on the coast around Holme and Titchwell if this helps.

Thanks to all.

Without Birdguides it is a bit like the old days of relying on contacts and phone calls from friends!! Scary stuff haha

Whitethroat, Common Sandpiper and 3+ Little Ringed Plovers at Thorpe Station Marshes today, and a couple of House Martins were seen by another birder earlier in the day.

Titchwell April 15th

Today’s highlights

Garganey – 2 pairs on fresh marsh
Yellow wagtail – 10+ on lagoons
Blue-headed wagtail – male on fresh marsh + male ‘Channel’ wagtail present
White wagtail – 20+ on lagoons
Bittern – 1 booming in reedbed
Turtle dove – 1 singing in carpark, 1 west
Little ringed plover – pair on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 1 on brackish marsh
Red crested pochard – pair in reedbed

No sign of the Iberian chiffchaff today

Paul

Jackdaw

Thanks for sharing these Dave:t: I hope you don't mind I have added your link to my blog;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:
Glad you like them. :t:

I normally get one or two Jackdaws feeding on the fat balls. Today this partial albino turned up for one visit.

Attachments

• Jackdaw 110415 IMG_5110 BF.jpg
    Jackdaw 110415 IMG_5110 BF.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 55
Still Waxwings around Norfolk & Norwich Hospital/Norwich Science Park today. A flock of c.20 flew N over the B1108 just west of Colney at 4.20 and c.45 were in trees between the John Innes centre and the roundabout outside the hospital at 4.30.

Last edited:
Was nice to see both Taiga and Tundra Bean Goose (well that's what I'm going with at the moment) in with the c.1000 Pink-feet at Holme and to also catch up with my first Short-eared Owl and Cuckoo of the year today too.

Last edited:
Spent the day at Welney and Sculthorpe Moore. Only had flight views of White Spotted Bluethroat and sadly no pictures. Common Crane also from Lyle Hide. Looked/listened for Wood Warbler at Sculthorpe but no luck. Possibly had a glimpse of an Osprey.

See blog for full update. Plus LOADS of new pictures added to recent posts including Crane pics, Wheatear and interesting bird at Stiffkey on 9th April?

Raptor ID

Spent the day at Welney and Sculthorpe Moore. Only had flight views of White Spotted Bluethroat and sadly no pictures. Common Crane also from Lyle Hide. Looked/listened for Wood Warbler at Sculthorpe but no luck. Possibly had a glimpse of an Osprey.

See blog for full update. Plus LOADS of new pictures added to recent posts including Crane pics, Wheatear and interesting bird at Stiffkey on 9th April?

In my view your interesting raptor is a male (common) kestrel. Some black spots on the upperparts of the bird, I think.

After we met at Welney I set off for the Ouse Washes. Blue-winged teal seen well. Thee yellow wagtails.

Had my own raptor to ID. A gull was making a heck of a noise overhead. Gull was mobbing a large raptor.

Later pager message said ring-tail hen harrier at the Ouse Washes late afternoon. That would fit the ID for my sighting around the same time.

Stuff was on the move today with an obvious passage of Mipits and Linnets, many of the former pausing to feed on the lighthouse field in the company of 12 Shorelarks. Swallows and Yellow Wagtails trickled west too and Wheatears were abundant; corroborated sightings totalled at least 59 birds and that was just between the village and Cart Gap. How many more were west of Happisburgh? Blackcap numbers in the village were up and freshly arrived migrants fed in trees along Beach Road whilst established males sang nearby. Two Whimbrel west were my first this Spring and five likely looking Plovers on a sugar beet field were all Golden. The real surprise came when a Stone Curlew was spooked from a field edge. It was a colour ringed bird, details of which are awaited. It was still present this evening and as the light faded it put on a bit of a show by preening, posturing and calling before wandering off into the gloom. A magical moment from a magical bird...

James

Attachments

• Wailing Heath Chicken, Happisburgh - 16.04.2011 (PSE).jpg
    Wailing Heath Chicken, Happisburgh - 16.04.2011 (PSE).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
My first Reed Warblers of the year at Whitlingham this morning, along with a dawn chorus made up of good numbers of Sedge, Cetti's, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps. Also a Shelduck (until 08:15 when it flew east) and a female Goldeneye in the conservation area bay.

Anyone birding over UEA /Cringleford way might want to keep an eye out for what is thought to be a bittern -reported flying over Eaton Park towards UEA by a non birder who says the bird was definitely brown and heron like.

Rough-legged Buzzard ('found'), 3 Red Kite (1 'found' away from known site), Hobby (early bird), poss Goshawk ( :) ), 7 Sparrowhawk, 2 Kestrel (!), 7 Common Buzzard, 3 Marsh Harrier (2 male) ring-tail Hen Harrier (my first for the area) and a Harris Hawk!! - all within 10 miles of home :) + 5 FoS ... if only all local birding was like this!!

Found two Ring Ouzels at Friary Hills at 5.50pm and Cley Coastguards held at least 11 Wheatears this evening along with 16 Linnets balancing on the fence wires, 3 Golden Plover in the Eye field and loads of Sandwich Terns going up 'the Point'.

See blog for full update.

Roll on Friday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back