• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 82ed - Advice Urgently Needed!! (1 Viewer)

Bernard the cat

Nikon 82ed: Advice Urgently Needed re: zoom lens + stay on case!!

I'm seriously thinking of getting a Nikon 82ED with the 25-75x zoom but need some advice first please!!:

1. There seem to be some negative comments about narrow field of view on the zoom - looks like I won't be able to test out the zoom myself, so can anyone who has this eyepiece enlighten me please on what the field of view is like in practice?? (I definitely want a zoom lens rather than fixed mag.). I recently tested the scope though was only able to use the 25-56x zoom, which seemed fine to me (according to the RSPB optics page these 2 eyepieces have the same field of view - 1.6 at 25x).

2. Does the stay-on case interfere with use of the focus wheel?? - I recently used a Swarovski scope & one thing I didn't like was that the focus wheel rubbed against the stay-on case & made a really annoying noise.

Many thanks!!

Last edited:
Hi Ocelot,

I have an ED82 but don't have a zoom, so can't really comment on that. The stay on case is very good, in my opinion. There are flaps on either side that allow easy access to the very big focus wheel. I've never noticed it making any noises and focussing is no problem with the s-o-c on.

Here are some measurements I just made comparing the apparent field widths of the Nikon 25-75 zoom to the Swarovski and Zeiss zooms at 25x, 40x and 60x. If you are more interested in real field just divide these figures by the magnification.

Nikon 25x-40 degrees, 40x-46 degrees, 60x-54 degrees
Swaro 25x-46 degrees, 40x-55 degrees, 60x-66 degrees
Zeiss 25x-54 degrees, 40x-60 degrees, 60x-72 degrees

Notice that the biggest differences are actually at higher magnifications where the increase in apparent field in the Swaro and Zeiss turns them into true wide field eyepieces. Another catch with the Nikon is shorter eye relief so that eyeglass wearers will probably not even be able to see the field widths shown here.

I have just bought one of these scopes, and so far I love it (perhaps post-purchase euphoria, but anyway).

I have the MCII zoom, and a 30x wide fixed eyepiece. I definitely get a higher resolution with the zoom eyepiece - so there is a point to owning one, but the zoom is narrow enough that I think I will have to practice a lot to make it really useful.

I'm very happy with the stay-on-case; I don't think that it is noisy at all. The cap that goes over the eyepiece is a little tight if you want to velcro it above and below. The rest of the case around the eyepiece is very easy to loosen and move away from the eyepiece if you want to change eyepieces. The screw that allows the scope to rotate is rather hidden with the case on: you have to fumble a bit under the cover to tighten/loosen it (but it's not really a problem). And the colour is certainly less obtrusive than the scope by itself!!!

I also got a good deal on this via dnet24.de in Germany (about the same price as Warehouse Express' special deal, but without the limitation of eyepieces and straght body): they ship cheaply within the EU so if you speak German, I would check it out.

Last edited:
i have ed 82 with the 25x75 zoom,and im very pleased with it.ive had good results with it even at 75x.if you wanted to get picky it does darken slightly at 75x.but this is a good scope and i would not change it for any other.
ive had no problem with stay on case, hand fits round it well with no noise and i have big hands.

Yes the FOV does worsen at higher mags but still found it usable particularly if you find your bird at a lower mag then zoom on in.

I wear specs and still found it to be the best scope/zoom out of all i tried including the big boys.

Case is fine and to me at least doesn't interfere with any of the workings.

The zoom eyepiece are very good, but it don't give you the larger view of the Swaro and the Zeiss. If you don't compare it, it's just a very good zoom eyepiece with other kind of view. Regarding the stay on case, I have some problem in winter with big glove, so now I wear very small stretch polyester glove under my big one. And yes mine are noisy also.

henry link said:
Here are some measurements I just made comparing the apparent field widths of the Nikon 25-75 zoom to the Swarovski and Zeiss zooms at 25x, 40x and 60x.

And here are the true fields-of-view (at 20/25x) shown graphically in relation to each other.

Ilkka

Attachments

• FOV.jpg
    FOV.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 240
iporali said:
And here are the true fields-of-view (at 20/25x) shown graphically in relation to each other.

Ilkka

Thanks, Ilkka, that illustrates it better for me than any numbers!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back