• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central Chile - Mountains and Sea (1 Viewer)

Hi Peter,
your seabird sounds spot on for imm. giant petrel sp., i saw them regularly when i was seawatching in Chile. Good luck identifying which species though!
Am a bit jealous of your common miner - they don't often appear on trip reports for some reason, nice pix as well.
cheers,
James

Hi Peter,
your seabird sounds spot on for imm. giant petrel sp., i saw them regularly when i was seawatching in Chile. Good luck identifying which species though!
Am a bit jealous of your common miner - they don't often appear on trip reports for some reason, nice pix as well.
cheers,
James
Funny about el minero - for a bird that supposed to be common, forages in the open, and has a very big range, they seem damned hard to find!

Although, as you can see, they don't exactly stand out against the background - until they fly, that is. Wish I'd been able to get a shot of that, fat chance!

Hi Peter,
Enjoying your report immensely. Thanks for taking the time with the detail.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike; good to know that someone is paying attention. ;)
I was thinking I should maybe stick a "Red-backed Emu-wren" onto my list, just to check, but looks like it won't be necessary...

Peter C.

Day 5: Thursday, Dec. 30 - Part 3 - just a few more...

It was getting on to early evening by the time we got back to Hacienda Laguna Torca. Remarkably, the weather continued fine and clear, so I thought it would be a good idea to seize the moment, and get down the the Laguna to get some bird photos (maybe even one of siete colores?) So far, neither of us had anything yet (photos, I mean) from here at all.

As it was yesterday, the Rush-tyrant was not at all difficult to find, once we got onto the boardwalk - getting a photo, now that was another thing entirely. They hop around hyperkinetically in the tangle of reeds, never stopping anywhere for long, and never doing anything that might remotely be considered predictable behaviour. I just got a few, semi-blurred, semi-obscured photos before having to give up for lack of light. We did, however, find one pair of individuals that stayed quite still - there was a nest with two chicks in it, just a few feet off the boardwalk.

[Can I try to describe to you what it is like trying to take a picture of a Many-coloured Rush-tyrant? Ever go the cinema, and see those big popcorn poppers with the glass sides? Hundreds of popping kernals shooting around inside? Imagine one of them is brightly-painted, and you have to snap it as it flies around. That's what it's like.]

So the photography didn't go that well, but there were some compensations, such as: the flight of about a dozen White-faced Ibis coming in to land; a Snowy-crowned Tern over the laguna; getting a glimpse - one of those "just-good-enough" ones, but still - of Wren-like Rushbird in (where else?) the rushes. (This is another very aptly named bird; remarkably similar to our own Marsh Wrens in North America - even though it's a furnariid, not a wren at all.)

Heading back towards HLT, we were treated to one more very good sighting, when a Stripe-backed Bittern (a very small heron) spooked up from the sedges along the causeway. That was, possibly, the luckiest find of the whole day, if "seeing something one is unlikely to see" is one's yardstick; while I don't really know about this species, its counterpart back home (Least Bittern) is one of the shyest birds in our area. I live a couple of kilometers from some reasonably good Least Bittern habitat in Ontario, and I only see them once every two years or so, if I really try (and sometimes not even then -didn't see one at all is 2010, for example, and I was looking...)

75. Wren-like Rushbird
76. Snowy-crowned Tern

77. White-faced Ibis
78. Stripe-backed Bittern

Photos: The elusive Siete Colores, hiding in the reeds (heavily cropped); nest of same.

Attachments

• MCRT1.jpg
    MCRT1.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 75
  • MCRT2.jpg
    MCRT2.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Hey Peter,
of course we pay attention! You are bringing back some nice memories, even if the time of year was different!

Niels

PS: I agree with Giant Petrel sp, but also that your observation will not be good enough to say northern or southern.

Peter,
not enough to see 1 species i missed in the day, you had to add another 3 in the evening!! (ibis, tern and bittern).
The bittern in particular is a really good tick, apparently it has either disappeared or become very elusive at it's previously best known site near Santiago (El Peral).
cheers,
James

James:

Bwa-ha-ha-ha... you're really going to hate me - maybe you'd best not read the Dec. 31 installment when it comes along ... two bitterns. One of them, in the scope. (I'm evil...|})|).

... of course, I dipped on a whack of other stuff I probably should have seen at the R.N.L.T.; had I devoted more time to it. (As you will read later, I made some really bone-headed decisions regarding how we spent our remaining time at HLT... which I greatly regret now. Can't be helped.)

But thanks for making this comment; because it goes a long way towards confirming something for me - just an intuition I had (and I hate relying on those), that this place was not just a good find, but a very good find.

You should all make plans..

Peter C.

Day 6: Friday, December 31 – Llico and area

Counting down the days, now...

For today, we took a much-needed break from long-distance travel. We drove no farther than the nearest town; this was Llico, a fishing village about 6 km due west of our lodging at HLT. We had been told of a good trail there, which went south along the shoreline from the harbour - just get to the Pacific, turn left, and you can't miss it.

En route, however...

You may recall that, on our first visit the Laguna Torca (all of 36 hours previously!) we noted an abundance of birds (swans and coots) but a complete absence of ducks. Well, it turned out that this was only because we hadn't been looking in the right place. The road, which cuts right across the the bottom end of the laguna, continues west past the reserve, ultimately ending at Llico. And just on the other side of the lake (right near that accursed airport) the wetland continues for a while; but here it is much shallower, with a concomitant increase in the amount of emergent vegetation. That's where all the ducks were, staying close to the cover afforded by the many small 'islands' of sedge and grass. In very short order, we found Cinnamon Teal (many of these), and White-cheeked and Yellow-billed Pintail. It looks likely to be a very rich area, who knows what else may have been in there - but it was also an excellent hiding place for them, there could have been flocks in there.

After that, it was just a few more minutes' drive to the end of the road at Llico, where we found a very convenient parking space right up against the seawall. "Mr. HLT" had told us that this town (and the whole region) had sustained significant damage in last February's tsunami, and some traces of this were still evident - for example, in the concrete steps down from the wall, ending a full metre above the current beach level, and the 'orphaned' old jetty that now stood several metres out to sea.

Anyway, we got down onto beach level - a different way - and "struck gold" almost immediately. A dark, chunky-looking passerine flew right across our line of sight, landed on an outcrop of rock, and began to walk around on it like a shorebird - our big-deal target bird, the Chilean Seaside Cinclodes! Right in front of the town too - that seemed suspiciously easy...

After watching him forage and fly around for a bit (seemed to favour the wrecked jetty quite a bit - possible nest? I admit I have no idea what their nesting behaviour is...), we started to climb up off the beach to look for the trail. DMM, who was in the lead, called back to me that she had just seen "something running" along the top of the embankment above, "with a cocked up tail". That certainly sounded intriguing! We rushed up to the top, but as much as we searched, found no trace of anything terrestrial - just lots of Chilean Swallows (I think their broods must of fledged already, there were scores of them). Oh, and incidentally, the trail we were looking for.

The land here, to the south of Llico, was very "bony". Big spiny ridges of rock protruded into the sea, alternating with small bays. This meant a lot of clambering up and down slopes, and it was slow going. Down here on the coast, the weather was once again grey overcast, and a bit chilly -so birds were not being particularly active, or vocal. We encountered a fair number of the ubiquitous Diuca-finches, and some Long-tailed Meadowlarks, but not much else. The seaside itself seemed particularly barren - not just of birdlife, but any kind of life. Poking around in the tidal pools, along here, we found just kelp and a few very small crustaceans - which I thought was a little odd.

After 40-50 minutes of hiking, we finally felt we were getting somewhere into "the wild" - because at that point, we heard something completely novel. A yelping call was emanating from a waxy-leaved bush just uphill from us, and it was so odd that we weren't even sure that it was coming from a bird at all - I could imagine, for example, some sort of fox making it. We couldn't see much from where we stood, so we worked our way around to the side of it to get a better view; when our angle of view allowed us to see the very top, there was our "singer" - a Moustached Turca, what a find! Not just a tapuculo (at last) but a Chilean endemic tapaculo. (Probably it was just my enthusiasm running away with me, but the thing looked enormous - about the size of a hen!) What's more, it gave us great views, seeming to be quite content to just stand there and serenade us, as long as it could keep us in sight. (Unfortunately, the sky was just far too dim to even bother trying for a photo.)

Saw one other interesting bird at this spot. At first, I took it for 'just' another Seaside Cinclodes, as it somewhat resembled one, and also because it was standing on a rock near the water. Looking at this individual more closely, however, we decided that something was not quite right - the underparts colour was different, the bill noticeably thinner, the white supercilium definitely wider than the other bird we'd just seen in Llico. It turned out to be the distinct, but closely related, Dark-bellied Cinclodes.
Soon after that, we decided that we'd probably wrung all the best birds out of this walk, so we turned around and headed back towards town. There was a bit of a surprise waiting for us when we got there - El Pequeño was not quite where we'd left him! Apparently my perfect parking spot was required for a temporary bandstand (for this evening's A§o Nuevo festivities), and the good citizens of Llico had just rolled our vehicle away about 20 m. or so, so that they could begin to set up. Good thing I had inadvertently left the parking break disengaged!

While we were out and about, we thought we'd take a drive just a few km. south to the cottage community around Lago Vichuquen, just to look at it, to see how the 'other half lives,' you know (also, we needed bread - maybe we'd find a panadería on our travels...) Actually, having seen it now, I don't recommend the excursion; unless you own, or happen to be a guest at, one of these big properties, there's very little in the way of lake access here. We did, however, spot one new species - a large, stately-looking Cocoi Heron - on the way over there, so the trip wasn't a total loss! (No panadería though - but there was a tiny, artisanal pastelería, where we picked up a very good strawberry tart.)

After returning to "La Cascada" and having lunch, we decided to try some upland birding for a change. The Hacienda backs onto a very substantial hill, which was covered in trees - mostly, a pine plantation. We had been told that there was an old logging track, which led all the way up to the top of this hill. So even if we didn't get any birds, at least we'd get a good view of the Laguna Torca from above.

It turned out to be a long, mostly unproductive, walk; one of those climbs where it looks like you are coming to the summit - about a dozen times - only to find that there is always one more rise around the corner ... and it seems like there's not much point in going on, but you don't want to give up, because you've already invested so much time... etc. In any case, there was very little bird diversity up here, which probably should not have come as much of a surprise, given that the forest was mostly a monoculture of (exotic?) pines, with very little understory. All we saw were lots of Austral Thrushes, a couple of tit-spinetails (they are so three days ago...), and several flocks of Austral Blackbirds. The only really interesting animal sighting of any kind was a new kind of lizard - not positively identified.

We did, however, get really good views of the countryside, as promised (see post #22, photo #1).
[aside] The Chilean field guide describes the Austral Blackbird as the bird that "fills the same ecological niche as jays do elsewhere" (there being no jays at all - or, for that matter, corvids of any kind - in Chile). And after we spent a long time this afternoon tracking some unidentifiable bird sounds, which proved to be coming from a flock of these birds, DMM added that they also fill the niche of the "really annoying bird species that is loud and distracting" [/aside].
By this time, it was late afternoon, and the weather had changed quite dramatically. The sun was hot, the air was a bit hazy, and we had a stifling trek back to "La Cascada". However, I didn't want to let this rare sunshine go to waste, so after a refreshing break for tea and dulche-de-leche something or other, we headed out to the marsh to do some photography.

In contrast to yesterday, today it went quite well; we managed some fairly good shots of both male and female Rufous-tailed Plantcutters, a male Spectacled Tyrant, Black-necked Swan, and a couple of coot species. (Pretty well all the 'good' bird photos that I've shown so far on here were actually produced in this session). The quality of the light this evening was very much better than what we'd had up to now at Laguna Torca - although from a photographic standpoint it was perhaps just a bit too strong, tending to 'blow out' anything white, like the bills of the coots (at least, that's the excuse I'm going with for now...).

We were fortunate enough to have another encounter with a Stripe-backed Bittern on the causeway. Again, it spooked before I was aware of it; but this time, flew across the water and landed where I could see it, on the edge of reeds on the far side. I had the scope handy, so we both got a passable look; better still, we soon realized there were two of them over there, foraging close together. Maybe a pair of harried parents? I wonder if the extra pressure of having little beaks to feed makes them less retiring than usual...
[Another aside]I've just had a thought: Wonder what kind of predator a small bittern in Chile has to be concerned about? Then I had another thought ... we never saw a harrier over this marsh (and Chile does have harriers); it looks like a great place for a harrier, lots of food around, wonder why there weren't any? Then I had one more thought (better wind it up here, three in a row, I'm probably going to sprain something in my head...): Probably because their nesting habitat got paved over for that bloody runway.
Naw... [/another aside]
That evening, we had been invited over for dinner by "Mr & Mrs HLT" - very kind of them, of course. But being invited out for a social event of this kind has a downside, for me; that being, that I am forced to stay up well past my normal bedtime (during a birding trip, usually about sunset). However, I sacrificed for the common good (DMM is much more socially adept than I) and we all had a good time.

And, after thanking our gracious hosts, and saying our good-nights (at the positively obscene hour of 10 o'clock!), we received an unexpected bonus gift - a sighting, but of quite a different kind. The overcast of this morning, which had turned into a kind of heat haze in the afternoon, had tonight given way to a sky of crystal clarity. We were looking at a night worthy of Shakespeare; I wish I'd had the presence of mind to recite it at the time:
"...look now, how the floor of heaven/
Is thick inlaid with patines of bright gold"
The Merchant of Venice (V, i)
The first thing - or, I should say, things - that the struck us, were the Magellanic clouds, thanks to their sheer strangeness. They look like something much closer, something faintly glowing in Earth's own upper atmosphere - but to think, when you are looking at them, you are actually looking right out of the galaxy! To the south, the blanket of stars was so thick that, even if I did know the constellations "down here", I don't think I could have picked them out - they would've been swamped, lost in the multitudes. (I do know the Southern Cross though - couldn't find it...).

To the north, of course, there were some familiar ones; Orion being the most obvious, although I must say he looked a bit funny walking around on this hands like that! Which gave me an idea - I ran to get the scope (hardly an astronomical instrument, but it would do...) I had never seen the famous nebula in Orion's sword, with my own eyes. (Obviously, I could do this just as well at home - in theory; in practice, the murk of our suburban air in Southern Ontario usually prevents us from seeing such subtle things as glowing clouds of hydrogen). Anyway, that was the one nebula that I knew how to find, without a reference. I trained the scope on that middle star and - lo and behold, there is was; awesome - in the original sense of the word.

79. Cinnamon Teal
80. White-cheeked Pintail
81. Chilean Seaside Cinclodes
82. Moustached Turca
83. Dark-bellied Cinclodes
84. Cocoi Heron
85. White-winged Coot

Photos: Shoreline trail south of Llico; lizard on the HLT property (Wreath Lizard?); the pine plantation; White-winged Coot; Red-gartered Coot.

Attachments

• Llico-coast2.jpg
    Llico-coast2.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 47
  • wreath-lizard.jpg
    wreath-lizard.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Dawn-on-the-hill.jpg
    Dawn-on-the-hill.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 71
  • WWCoot1.jpg
    WWCoot1.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 48
  • RG-Coot.jpg
    RG-Coot.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 60
Day 07: Saturday, January 01 Laguna Torca - Rio Teno - Laguna Torca

Day one of 2011 dawned, in a marked contrast to the previous night, very misty and grey. It was the kind of morning that fools one into sleeping in - it appears much earlier than it really it is.

Today was our last full day in Chile - and not having anything really urgent that we had to do (financial concerns now all taken care of) I thought we'd wager our time on a last-ditch assault on the Andes (even on the coast, you're never very far from them here). I figured there was still a chance for a new caracara or seed-snipe or something. Thanks (once again) to my good buddy maps.google.com, I knew that there was a small alpine lake up at the headwaters of the Rio Teno; this was just slightly south of our home-away-from-home at Laguna Torca, and 'only' 195 km away by road. As a sort of secondary goal, I was hoping that we would be able to find some good native upland habitat along the way. As good as the wetlands around HLT were, all the habitat away from the reserve was highly modified - either by being turned into farm/grazing land, or planted with exotic trees. What we really wanted was to find some "spiny forest" a habitat type which, I had read in A Wildlife Guide to Chile, hosted several species (White-throated Tapaculo being just one example) that we were very interested in finding.

Setting out at the rather late hour of 0710 (thanks to the previous night's star-gazing debauch), we threaded our way through the basket-weave of roads east of Lago Vichuquen towards the small town of Hualañe. There, we picked up a good, paved, secondary highway that took us up the Rio Mataquito valley. Thought this area was highly agricultural as well, we could see that there were many hills around, which looked quite untouched - they seemed to be covered with just the wild scrub that we were looking for. Unfortunately, the approached to these hills were guarded by legions of grape vines and fruit trees in serried ranks - and it didn't look like there was any way around them. (On the other hand, if you were looking to buy peaches, apricots, or a melon, this was definitely the place to be! Roadside stands galore...)

Eventually, somewhere near a town called Ranco, we did find a turn-off that looked promising - a rough gravel road that veered of sharply, and headed straight up one of the aforementioned hills. We just had to get past one farm (where a whole posse of very territorial dogs came out, surrounded us, and did there level best to get run over), and then the road sloped down, and headed through just the sort of woodland we were after. It was dry, dense, and thorny. Now that were well away from the highway, we could hear that there was quite a bit of birdsong about. Actually seeing anything, in all those sticks, was a bit of problem; but we were able to pull out a few of the 'usual' passerines, like Crested Tit-tyrant and Plain-mantled Tit-spinetail. There was also a very cryptic (but interesting) new bird, the Dusky-tailed Canestero; particularly interesting, because it may well be another Chilean endemic (authorities differ on whether it gets into Argentina or not.)

Returning to the main road, we proceeded on into the central valley, and crossing the Ruta 5 at Teno. Then ... after a, ummm, brief tour of some of Chile's back roads, we found our way onto the secondary highway we needed; this was a good, paved road going up the north bank of the Rio Teno. At Los Queñes, we took the last bridge across the river, to get to the tertiary road that (we hoped) would take us all the way to Laguna Teno, right up near the Argentinean border. After Los Queñes, this road turned to gravel, although we were pleasantly surprised to find that it was still very wide and well-graded - especially for a road that doesn't really go anywhere (in contrast to the road to Laguna Maule, which does go through a major pass into Argentina). Certainly, this road was very well-used - scores of Chilean families were taking a holiday picnic, or camping, along the river here. It was also at this point that the birds started to get interesting again.

First and foremost was the trio of Andean Condors that we encountered, working their way along the cliffs along the far side of the river - wow! That was so much better than the little speck we'd seen back at Altos de Lircay! A few km. on, we saw them again, this time on our side, which is how I managed to get a few photos; would have liked to have been able to frame all three in the same shot, but they didn't fly in quite a tight enough formation. Well, you can't have everything... (Oh, and the second good bird: a lone male Torrent Duck - seen standing, naturally enough, out in the middle of the river. Very striking-looking thing.)

After about 10 Km. of this gravel road, we found out why it was so wide and well-maintained - there was a very big mining operation up here, and it had to be big enough to handle heavy transports. (So, it was a good thing we were here on a holiday ... I really don't like sharing mountain roads with big trucks.) Beyond the mine entrance, the road was immediately reduced to nothing more than a narrow track, cut into the mountainside - undulating and twisty, it seemed to go on forever, and not get us anywhere. Anyway, since it was very slow going, and looked like we might never reach our goal, I pulled over (which wasn't easy, here) for a very belated lunch stop.

By this point, we were well and truly above tree line - somewhere upwards of 3500 m. The vegetation regime up here (as far as I was able to determine) is something known as "Mediterranean alpine" - low-lying, prickly, and tolerant of both cold and drought. There weren't a lot of birds around, but of what there was White-browed Ground-tyrant seemed to be the most conspicuous. Back along the road a bit, there was a very small trickle of water seeping out of the slope, making a bit of a pool. In a place as dry as this, that was a pretty good bird magnet, attracting Yellow-rumped Siskins and a couple of Mourning Sierra-finches.

There were Barn Swallows here as well, and they had the most entertaining behaviour - as we sat there on a couple of rocks, eating our lunch, they would fly into the lee of our bodies (it was quite windy up here) and sort of "draft" there for a while, only a metre or so downwind. Not at all sure what they were doing - was it some version of play? Do they think that, as mammals, we just naturally attract flies?

Wanting to get some idea of what lay ahead, I climbed up to the ridge above our picnic spot, which gave a bit of view. Alas, no Laguno Teno in sight - just a small building ahead, with a boom lowered across the road - obviously, a Chilean frontier post. How disappointing! The one thing I really didn't want to have to deal with, at this time of the day, was any kind of bureaucracy. I just didn't have the energy to summon up that level of pseudo-Spanish. So....

Making our way back down the road, I wanted to make one more stop. On the way up, I had noticed a fairly extensive stretch of level ground, right about at tree line. A side canyon entered the main Teno valley at this point, and I presume the outwash had created this flat area at its mouth. From the road, a low berm blocked the view into the flat area, which seemed like it might be below road level - possibly hiding a small mountain bog? Lots of bird possibilities if it were...

So, I parked, and leaving DMM with the car, crossed the road and climbed the berm to investigate. I was very quickly disappointed - the area on the other side of the berm was bone-dry, just a shallow dish-shaped depression full of the same bushy plants as everywhere else. (Drat!) But, heading back, I saw that DMM was madly try to get my attention, while simultaneously keeping her gaze firmly fixed on one particular part of a nearby tree. Oh-oh - good sign that I'm missing out on something.* I rushed over, just in time to hear her say "There's a tiny owl perched on a branch here I tried to get you oh, there it goes..."

Arrrrgh!

Around here, "tiny owl" can only mean Austral Pygmy-owl, a species that is alleged to common, but certain to be elusive. We crashed around in the thicket for a while, trying to re-find it, but to no avail. Did become well-acquainted with the "spinyness" of the local flora, though!

I did get a bit a of a consolation prize here, however. While hanging about the 'owl tree,' hoping for it to reappear, I heard a very un-owl-like long chattering call. The first thought to enter my head was that it sounded much like a very familiar bird from home, the Downy Woodpecker. Sure enough, when we tracked it down, it proved to be the Downy's Chilean equivalent, the Striped Woodpecker - a very interesting parallel, especially given the thousands of kilometres separating these two species' ranges.

*[aside]She's done this to me before, you see. About 15 years ago, on a rather unproductive birding hike at Rara Avis, C.R., we were picking our way down that so-called 'road'. I let myself wander on ahead of her a bit - just about 20 m. - so we were still within easy hearing of each other. At one point, she called out "there's a small hummer perched - right here - it's a Snowcap". By the time I had pulled myself back there through the muck, he had, of course, flown the coop. I've been back to C.R. twice since then, but still, no Snowcap...[/aside]

86. Band-tailed Sierra-finch
87. Dusky-tailed Canastero

88. Torrent Duck
89. Mourning Sierra-finch
90. Austral Pygmy-owl
91. Striped Woodpecker

Photos: Route map up the Rio Teno Valley; Condors in formation; DMM above treeline; Argentina, ho!; An elusive pygmy-owl.

Attachments

• chile-map7.jpg
    chile-map7.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Andean-Condor3.jpg
    Andean-Condor3.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 61
  • DMM-Rio-Teno.jpg
    DMM-Rio-Teno.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Argentina Ho!.jpg
    Argentina Ho!.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 56
  • APOW.jpg
    APOW.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Too bad about the Snowcap: we had two different sightings at Rancho Naturalista ...

(Yes I know, that does not help any ;) )

Niels

Day 08: Sunday, Jan 02. Hacienda Laguna Torca - Santiago

The dreaded day had finally arrived - departure. (¡Que Lastima!) However, thanks to our the convenience of having an overnight flight back to Toronto (departing at 1945), we weren't really in a terrible hurry today; even leaving a generous amount of time (I estimated 5.5 hrs) for the drive back to the Santiago airport, we still had a few hours for birding along the way...

First, though, had to make a farewell visit to the Reserva before breakfast. For one thing, I was really hoping to get another crack at photographing Mr. "Pied Bagelface". So, replacing scope with camera atop the tripod, I started to march down the HLT entrance lane one more time. This lane runs through their olive grove, and I had just entered this stretch when I saw what I could only describe as a "problem bird". It was thrush-shaped, and it perched briefly on top of one of the small olive trees, calling once before dashing off again. It was both like and unlike a standard zorzal - it seemed to be the right size, but much too dark, especially on the breast, and the flight didn't seem quite right to me either ... hmmm...

Unfortunately, being burdened with a lot of photographic hardware, and lacking the assistance of my "spotter" (who still back at the Cascada lodge, fussing over the packing or something - I'm more of a "toss everything in the bag five minutes prior to departure" sort of person), I lost sight of this bird before being able to get any kind of reasonable look at it. Intriguing, though.

After staking out the Spectacled Tyrant for a while (without success), DMM joined me, and we paid a brief visit to the Rush-tyrants along the boardwalk. They were still at their popping-corn best, and it seemed like every adult we saw had a hungry young one chasing it around. We went along as far as the nest we'd seen the other day, and noticed that the young in it had fledged - or, at least, the nest was empty, we hoped they had fledged! (They did seem awfully young when we first saw them, just 2 1/2 days ago; on the other hand, it's true that small passerines can grow up very fast.) On our way back, DMM got a good look at a Plumbeous Rail from the boardwalk - I just managed to catch the brightly-coloured feet as it stalked away into the rushes.

After another wonderful breakfast at the main house, we very regretfully took our leave of Hacienda Laguna Torca. But the Hacienda - or, at least, its birds - were not quite done with us; before we were even halfway down the lane, I spotted my "not-thrush" again. It was perched in plain sight, and didn't seem in a hurry to go anywhere. This time, I had the scope handy (I'd made sure not to pack that just yet), so we got a much better view. We could now see that this was not a thrush at all, but actually a shrike-tyrant, one of a group of very big new world flycatchers - a very exciting find, indeed! Out of that genus, we were able, based on the all-dark tail, the heavily streaked throat, and very heavy bill, to narrow it down to the largest of the bunch, the Great Shrike-tyrant. (Oh, and the range was a bit of a factor too). This species is extraordinarily large for a flycatcher, slightly exceeding American Robin or (Eurasian) Blackbird in length and bulk; large enough, according to Birds of Chile, "to eat small birds" on occasion.

So - what a fine send-off from HLT that was! (I love these last-minute finds.) Or, it would have been our send-off, except that - after we had congratulated ourselves, packed scope, bins, and selves back into the car, and driven about 100 m. further down the lane - I saw a small, brown, blur: it crossed the lane in front of us, flew into the neighbour's pasture, and disappeared into a large thorn bush. That, in itself, was not so interesting; but the cacophony of angry bird-calls, which erupted from this bush immediately afterwards - this, most definitely, was.
[aside] I doubt that anyone who is reading this needs to be told this, but paying attention to bird sounds - even sounds which I don't recognize - is always incredibly important in the birding game. I would seldom see anything at all if I didn't hear it first, and I am still surprised at how surprised "muggles" are at this; they think they can natter away constantly on outings, and still expect to see birds...
In this case, without the auditory component, that "brown blur" could have been virtually any small bird; but, with the sound of a whole bunch of other birds going ballistic added, we instantly knew we had a predator of some kind on our hands... [/aside].
Anyway, we hastily unpacked scope, bins, and selves again, and directed all of the above at the aforementioned bush. A Chilean Mockingbird was on the near side of it, jabbering constantly, while a Thorn-tailed Rayadito fluttered around on top, obviously in a state of considerable agitation. Also, somewhere in there, I could hear at least one Southern House Wren adding to the chorus of ire. And, there at the focus of it all, was a small round head, out of which stared a pair of baleful yellow eyes. What a lucky break, our second Austral Pygmy-owl in as many days! (And to give my her credit, la señora was very glad - relieved might be a better word - that I wouldn't be having to go home without one...).

One small problem was that the owl was out of camera range - and the six-foot-tall barbed-wire fence surrounding the pasture seemed to lack a gate anywhere. But it was too good an opportunity to pass up, so I (verrrrry carefully) climbed over and stalked up to it - never got really close, but good enough for a few shots. (Hence, the picture from last week's instalment - it just seemed like a better place for it.) Looking at these two birds cost us a bit of time, but it was still only about 0900 when we tore ourselves away; this left us, in my estimation, a good 3-4 hours "flex-time" for sight-seeing on the way to the airport.

There were, roughly speaking, two routes available to get us up to Santiago. One, the fastest, would be to go through the wine country around Santa Cruz, and get back on the big north-south highway at San Fernando. The second, more time-consuming, route would be to stick with the coast until Pichilemu, and then take an angled route across country, approaching the capital from the south-east. We choose the latter option, partly because we thought it would be a more relaxed drive than the "Ruta 5" (and, incidentally, skip some toll booths), but also because we would be able to check out Lago Rapel along the way. This is a large artificial lake about halfway between Pichilemu and the southern outskirts of Santiago, and our road would take us right over the dam at the north end of it.

Our first priority, however, was to visit Punta Lobos again, for seabirds - this time, with scope! It was bright and sunny when we arrived, with an bit of an onshore breeze - good conditions for actually being able to see the pelagics this time, I thought. With better magnification, those few "little black crosses" we'd previously seen multiplied into hundreds - just clouds of them swirling about over the ocean's surface as far as the scope could reach. Even the closest of them were not really that close, but we could ID some of them as Sooty Shearwaters (who knows, they may have all been Sootys - they are supposed to be the most abundant shearwater in the area). It was interesting to watch their movements - they were by no means evenly distributed out there, but seemed to "clump" a lot. After a while, it seemed to us that we could detect a pattern to this behaviour - a "clump" of shearwaters would be gathered around an individual Peruvian Pelican, presumably using it as a "beater".

Once, however, we witnessed something rather different - the tubenoses were scattering, rather than gathering. Something large, and very fast, was flying amongst them, and the this "something" had big white patches in its wings - definitely a skua of some kind or other. I cannot say much more than that (it was very far out), except that it was a big bird - comparable to a Kelp Gull, one of which we saw it pursuing for a while.
We also saw a large, dark tubenose, not a shearwater, pass by again. This time, we were able to see the bill well enough to be able to say that yes, that's really massive - so it just had to be a giant-petrel. No way, though, that we could tell which giant-petrel without a much better view - we sat for quite a while, hoping it would return, but it never did. While waiting, DMM noticed a mammal in the waves below; not a surfer, for a change - there was a sea lion poking his head above the surface every once in a while. These can be distinguished from all the other local pinnipeds by their sharply turned-up noses - how about that? Learn a new thing every day.

After Punta Lobos, we visited Pichilemu again, to gas up the car. It was absolute mayhem in there, it seemed like half of Santiago had decided to come down for the weekend. I was worried, a bit, that we'd have some very heavy traffic to face on the way back to the city. Thankfully, this did not turn out to be the case, and once were on highway K-150 (to Las Damas and Litueche) all was relatively quiet again. Nothing of birdy significance, then, until we stopped at the Rapel reservoir. This was a bit of a bust, in that we only saw one species of waterbird there (Great Grebe), but that may have had much to do with the time of year; I can well imagine that, had we been visiting in fall or winter, we might have found it to be full of migrants from Patagonia and the high Andes.

After Lago Rapel, a bit of ho-hum driving across farming country took us to the small city of Melipilla. From there, we were back on to the fast toll-road system, which got us back to Santiago in a flash. Since we had made pretty good time, we still had a couple of hours to play with; so, we decided we could afford to continue right through the city, and visit the Lampa marshes, a bit to the north.

This marshy stretch, right along a road, is relatively well-known, largely because of the presence of South American Painted-snipe. Apparently, this is one of the best places in the world to find this species, or so I had read (although always with the qualifier "when the water level is right"). Well, I don't know if the water levels were right or not, but we certainly couldn't find any! Plenty of birds around, mostly Cattle Egrets, stilts, and lapwings, but nothing remotely snipe-like. To be fair though, we didn't have a lot of time to devote to this place, and mid-afternoon is hardly the best time of day. Nonetheless, I can really see why people would recommend alternatives to this place (like nearby Batuco); there's quite a bit of traffic going by, and also quite a bit of trash blowing around. There is a bit of a viewing platform, from which we saw some ducks (including Red Shoveler) and coots, but nowhere nearby to park! So, not a very good experience, from out point of view - I suppose the experience of Laguna Torca had rather spoiled us.

Anyway, the clock was pushing 1700, and I thought we might need about 45 minutes to get to the international airport - so, time to put the scope away, and get a move on. Managed to not get lost on the way, and returned the (very dusty) El Pequeño to the Econorent office at the airport just after 1800hrs. (They were wonderful about this; although we were, strictly speaking, more than four hours late, they charged us for only the regular one-week rate, plus one hour overtime. Better still, they chose to overlook the small, ahem, incident involving the gate post I grazed back at Lago Vichuquen.)

Not being ones to ever let any time go to waste, after our checking the baggage, we thought we'd did a quick walk around the airport grounds. Didn't turn up any new birds at all, but - after seven days and a bit - I finally, finally, managed to get a decent picture of a zorzal.

92. Great Shrike-tyrant
93. Sooty Shearwater
94. Black-crowned Night-heron
95. Red Shoveler

Photos: Route from Laguna Torca to Lampa; a female plantcutter at HLT; a slightly different angle on the Pygmy-owl; pelicans at Punta Lobos; neat lizard (species unknown) at Punta Lobos.

Attachments

• chile-map6.jpg
    chile-map6.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 67
  • RTPlancutter2.jpg
    RTPlancutter2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 77
  • pygmy-owl1.jpg
    pygmy-owl1.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Peruvian Pelicans.jpg
    Peruvian Pelicans.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 64
  • lizard3.jpg
    lizard3.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Hello,
as I said before, I totally enjoyed your report. It's great to learn about your own country from outside, that provides a completely new point of view. And you certainly have the gift to describe things in such an enthusiastic way, that I cannot wait for my next trip out of Santiago.

By the way, the lizard is a 'Liolaemus nitidus'. I don't know if it has a common name, but "neat lizard", as you call it, is a very good one.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back