• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are these people mad or bad?? (1 Viewer)

Don't know the details of this but I'm inclined to say they are mad (even taking account of Mono's comment which, in the circumstances of those involved might be understandable).

But if they are using carbofuran I would have thought they are actually poisoning themselves by eating birds contaminated with it - or does it break down on cooking?

cheers
Gordon

Nothing like being judgemental eh?

Not really - a number of people in Kenya have already died consuming such tainted meat. Furadan is now apparently widly used to kill fish and birds for human consumption in both Kenya and Uganda. The authorities would want to get their act together real quick given the environmental, human health and economic consequences of this crazy, illegal, destructive practice!!

I wasn't being judgemental - I thought my caveat made that clear. Merely suggesting that no matter how bad your circumstances eating poisoned meat is "mad".

Gordon

Well, to determine whether they're bad, mad, hungry or whatever doesn't seem to lead very far.
A better approach would be to wonder whether we can actually do something about that or, if not, whether there's something to be done with comparable things that happen, as we sadly know, all over this unique world, maybe pretty much closer than we think. Can we stand up from our comfortable seat and commit to do something? Education is maybe the most critical need almost everywhere, so we may well take advantage of our birding experiences and knowledge and tell people why is it so crucial to change things like this. Some of us may have influential contacts, may have reach to people who can make really critical decisions.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back