• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mad or what? (1 Viewer)

ellisonwales

Hello everybody..
My main posts have been in the binocular section of birdforums,however i saw something so strange this evening ,that im still wondering what it was that i saw.About 6.00pm this evening i was sat in a deckchair in the garden by a honeysuckle bush (id been cutting the hedges ,mowing the grass etc for 4 hours) ,sipping a grolsch.Ok it was the 3rd grolsch but i wasnt drunk.ID put some bread down and was watching the birds taking it and flying away.Anyway out of the corner of my eye i noticed what i thought was a hornet type insect flitting in each honeysuckle flower.It was about an inch long i guess.But i t didnt move like a hornet.I focused my bins on it and it definitly wasnt a hornet.At this point i was so intrigued because id never seen anything like it.I got up out ofmy chair and was about 1and a half feet away from it.I swear it had a beak and a tounge about half inch with an upward curl that was getting nectar out of the honeysuckle.Now i live in South Wales and i know hummingbirds dont frequent here ,but if i was to describe it ,id swear it was a hummingbird.Though it was very small (about an inch..are they that small?).Anyway i came in after watching it for about a minute and a half ,and justy wondered what the f***k it was that id seen.No it wasnt the grolsch.
Thanks in advance
ellisonwales

Thanks all for replies.I checked that hummingbird hawkmoth ,and i guess it was that .I saw it again this morning about 7am.Ive never seen one of those before ,i would have put money on it being a hummingbird ...lol
Thanks again all
ellisonwales

Ellison, hummingbirds are native only to the New World. It'd take a mighty powerful storm to blow one across the Atlantic. I know you guys get North American land birds once in awhile, but a hummingbird would be the lifer of all lifers.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back