• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Germany, Hamburg: Dark-ish Harrier - Male Marsh Harrier? (1 Viewer)

Hauksen

Forum member
Antarctica
Hi,

I'd appreciate your help with the identification of the harrier on the photos I posted in this thread:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=360478

(I guess it would have been more appropriate to post it here right away, but that only occurred to me when I had already posted in the "Local Patch" sub-subforum ... my apologies!)

They were taken near Hamburg, Germany, on 22 April 2018.

The bird in question was hunting in typical harrier style in low and slow flight, occassionally dropping into the grass, talons extended.

I also saw a female Marsh Harrier nearby, which seemed to ignore the bird in question.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Richard,

To me it looks fine for an adult (or perhaps 3rd year?) male Marsh Harrier Henning.

Thank you very much!

Svensson doesn't have much information on aging, and shows the underside of the juvenile only ... so it appears the upper side tends to be a little darker until full adult plumage develops?

Regards,

Henning

Hi Tom,

they are quite variable and this is a darker one, still very far from melanistic

Thanks, that's good to know! I'll pay more attention to these variations in the future :)

I was a bit confused about this bird, as the dark-ish colour was not restricted to the camera picture but also showed well when looking through the scope or binoculars. Great to hear the effect is real and not just imagined!

Regards,

Henning

Hi Tom,

That's a very interesting article, thanks a lot for sharing the link!

It would make sense that the variability might differ between the French sedentary population and the German migratory population, as the authors point out.

Their point on atypical variations not necessarily recognized by observers looking for "field-guide typical" birds is excellent, too. Quite possible I might have seen atypical Marsh Harriers too, and filed them mentally as "raptor, unidentified" because I couldn't make out any field marks.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back