• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK: grey wagtail with a yellow wagtail? (1 Viewer)

Fozzybear

Ich bin ein Vogelbeobachter
UK: yellow wagtail sub-species?

Looking at a clip I took of some Yellow Wagtails on the local farmland I found one that looks more like a grey wagtail, though it's not very clear on the video or this grab from it. Could it be one of the different 'types' of Yellow Wagtail?

Will link to the vid if I can get it uploaded to youtube...

Attachments

• 20110530_090651 LR SML.jpg
    20110530_090651 LR SML.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 346
It's the kind of bird that could initially get your pulse racing but on closer inspection you would go with yellow wag for both.
Having no experience with citrine but well aware of the multitude of variation in yellow wags can I ask if the mantle on citrine is always grey with no hint of yellow?
Cheers.

Last edited:
It's the kind of bird that could initially get your pulse racing but on closer inspection you would go with yellow wag for both.
Having no experience with citrine but well aware of the multitude of variation in yellow wags can I ask if the mantle on citrine is always grey with no hint of yellow?
Cheers.

Yes Rob.

Cheers for looking - after I posted and looked again at the video I thought it unlikely to be a Grey, the features looked much more like the other yellow wagtail in the clip. Not very knowledgeable at all on the variations of these birds, have only seen Yellow Wags once before so don't know the kind of range of appearance you'd expect. Am guessing from the differing opinions that it's going to be difficult to tell just what they are but am happy just knowing they're both Yellow Wagtails - next time I head out there I'll take my SLR and see if I can get a decent photo of them.

Was really pleased just to see them and in good numbers since I'd only seen them once before - am a big fan of wagtails and these were gorgeous ones. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back