Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nightingales lose wing length

Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 06:36   #1
andyadcock

Nightingales lose wing length

In response to global warming.............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52111309
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 09:23   #2
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Suspect this one might be a 1 April special? The link to the article in The Auk is dead.
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 10:10   #3
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Suspect this one might be a 1 April special? The link to the article in The Auk is dead.
It wouldn't be an obvious one and would be lost on most including me?
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 12:50   #4
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

I think it's legit, though I'm not so sure I agree with the conclusions. As you hint Andy, there's nothing amusing or wacky to suggest it's a 1st April joke!
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 13:30   #5
DMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
I think it's legit, though I'm not so sure I agree with the conclusions. As you hint Andy, there's nothing amusing or wacky to suggest it's a 1st April joke!
Same. I googled one of the scientists named, and he is legit, but the entire premise of shorter wing length being a response to global warming has little face validity.
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 13:46   #6
Muppit17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
Same. I googled one of the scientists named, and he is legit, but the entire premise of shorter wing length being a response to global warming has little face validity.
I can only think of the validity if the birds stopped migrating, or didn't migrate as far. But this isn't the reasoning he uses apparently.

I know of no records of Nightingale in the WP in the winter (happy to be proved wrong) but good luck in finding one in the winter or even when they have stopped singing.
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 14:05   #7
MJB

Quote:
Both scientists have published a fair bit of work. Does anybody have the title of the paper or the doi...? I'd like to read their rationale in full before commenting on the findings.

By the way, Breitbart is in full apocalyptic rage about this paper, commenters calling for the scientists to be barred from any further work for daring to assert that climate change is real. Others are calling for The Auk to be shut down... ...and those are but two of the less extreme commnets...
MJB
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 15:03   #8
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Both scientists have published a fair bit of work. Does anybody have the title of the paper or the doi...? I'd like to read their rationale in full before commenting on the findings.

By the way, Breitbart is in full apocalyptic rage about this paper, commenters calling for the scientists to be barred from any further work for daring to assert that climate change is real. Others are calling for The Auk to be shut down... ...and those are but two of the less extreme commnets...
MJB
Nothing listed here for the latest issue:
https://academic.oup.com/auk/issue/137/1

Suspect it may be a paper in prep.? There's also a bit about it in the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...climate-crisis
Of course breitbart etc will be livid because of evolution, as well as climate change . . . a double whammy for them
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 15:09   #9
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

From this press page:
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-ccm032520.php

Quote:
"Climate change and maladaptive wing shortening in a long-distance migratory bird" will be available April 1, 2020, at https://academic.oup.com/auk/article...93/auk/ukaa012.
Link still dead; I guess available later today (USA time a few hours behind UK) or tomorrow?
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 15:17   #10
andyadcock

Quote:
Nothing listed here for the latest issue:
https://academic.oup.com/auk/issue/137/1

Suspect it may be a paper in prep.? There's also a bit about it in the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...climate-crisis
Of course breitbart etc will be livid because of evolution, as well as climate change . . . a double whammy for them
So what made you think it was an April fool Nutty, never even occured to me or most others?
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 15:25   #11
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
So what made you think it was an April fool Nutty, never even occured to me or most others?
Because the link given didn't link to anything

Have to admit, I'm still a mite dubious, until I see hard evidence the paper actually exists
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 15:33   #12
andyadcock

Quote:

Have to admit, I'm still a mite dubious, until I see hard evidence the paper actually exists ;)
But it's not remotely comical or widely appealing enough, most of 'Joe public' wouldn't even realise they'd been duped if they had been?
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 15:37   #13
Seth Miller

Quote:

Have to admit, I'm still a mite dubious, until I see hard evidence the paper actually exists
Same.
Though, doesn't quite make sense for an April fools prank.
My birding blog: https://birdingbdandbeyond.wordpress.com/
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 16:31   #14
jurek

It is quite plain: the Nightingale is evolving into a flightless bird unique to Britain.

Extrapolating the current trend, within 500 years or so, Nightingales in Britain will become as flightless as kiwis. This completely follows the current scientific reasoning. We all read in countless climate papers, that the short-term trends can be simply extrapolated over time with no regard to time brackets. There are examples of flightless songbirds on islands. It is also documented, that flightlessness in island birds can evolve very fast (the White-throated Rail on Aldabra became flightless in few millenia). Since flightless bird cannot cross the English Channel, the gene flow with mainland will be broken, and Britain will get a new endemic species, as valid as the Scottish Crossbill.

Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 16:56   #15
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
It is quite plain: the Nightingale is evolving into a flightless bird unique to Britain.

Extrapolating the current trend, within 500 years or so, Nightingales in Britain will become as flightless as kiwis. This completely follows the current scientific reasoning. We all read in countless climate papers, that the short-term trends can be simply extrapolated over time with no regard to time brackets. There are examples of flightless songbirds on islands. It is also documented, that flightlessness in island birds can evolve very fast (the White-throated Rail on Aldabra became flightless in few millenia). Since flightless bird cannot cross the English Channel, the gene flow with mainland will be broken, and Britain will get a new endemic species, as valid as the Scottish Crossbill.

Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 17:25   #16
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:

Except the research was done in Spain
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 18:28   #17
andyadcock

Quote:

the gene flow with mainland will be broken, and Britain will get a new endemic species, as valid as the Scottish Crossbill.

You mean Short-winged Crossbill I think.
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 20:18   #18
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
You mean Short-winged Crossbill I think.
Nope, the new name is Whingeing Crossbill
Old Wednesday 1st April 2020, 23:34   #19
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Tweets from the AOS with details and explaining a delay:
https://twitter.com/AmOrnith/status/...876864003?s=20
https://twitter.com/AmOrnith/status/...582027776?s=20

And the paper out now:
https://academic.oup.com/auk/advance...dFrom=fulltext
Old Thursday 2nd April 2020, 05:55   #20
andyadcock

Speaking of Aprils fools day, I am not aware of a prank that was pulled by any of the media outlets which would be a first in my life time.

I did say to my wife, I wonder which way they'll jump, would they not publish anything on grounds of appropriateness or would they publish in an attempt to raise spirits?
Old Thursday 2nd April 2020, 06:31   #21
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Speaking of Aprils fools day, I am not aware of a prank that was pulled by any of the media outlets which would be a first in my life time.

I did say to my wife, I wonder which way they'll jump, would they not publish anything on grounds of appropriateness or would they publish in an attempt to raise spirits?
I had the same thoughts Andy, a difficult balance had to be struck, reactions could have varied from “ How can you make jokes at a time like this?” to “ Well done, if there’s nothing to cheer me up I’ll cry with despair.”
In Switzerland yesterday, a Black-winged Kite turned up, the observers had to emphasise that it really wasn’t a “poisson d’avril” as they call April fool jokes!
Old Thursday 2nd April 2020, 08:53   #22
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:

Except the research was done in Spain
But the quoted article does say "Although common in many parts of Europe and Asia, the bird is mainly seen and heard in southern England." Huh ?
Maybe Jurek is right !?

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd April 2020, 09:12   #23
King Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by davercox View Post
But the quoted article does say "Although common in many parts of Europe and Asia, the bird is mainly seen and heard in southern England." Huh ?
Maybe Jurek is right !?
I noticed that. It needs 'in the UK' after the comma.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: