• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Reliant 10x40 Monocular (1 Viewer)

Hoyden

Anyone have any experience with this? I am looking for a monocular that will be close in performance to decent birding binoculars. My partner can't use binoculars due to a field deficit in one eye so she has been using a combination of a Minox 8x25 monocular and a 12-36x50 spotting scope. The spotting scope is a little bulky to use all of the time and the Minox monocular is just not that bright when the light is low (as would be expected by the 25mm objective lens). It seems like this Swift would be somewhere in between the two. Alternatively, does anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks,

Jackie

Has she tried using regular binoculars but with the objective cover left on one side? That would black out one eye. She keep both eyes open, which should be much more comfortable. It would also give her a vastly greater range of choices. I've never encountered a monocular that had a focusing system that worked well enough to use for birding.

I'm with BinoBoy on this: try regular binoculars first.
Monoculars have horrible ergonomics, you can't hold them steady enough. Never underestimate the importance of good ergonomics to the view.

Renze

Hi Jackie.If you can find a used full size individual focus binocular and cut it in half. I have a Fujinon 7x50 military that I bought off Ebay as just half that I keep in my vehicle. It has been there for about four years and still works. That is one idea. A muffler cuter would work to cut them or a hacksaw. There is not many good monoculars around. PM me if you want me to send you this one to try.
Regards,Steve

That's a great idea - to cut apart a set of individual focus binoculars. I am going to try that.

Thanks,

Jackie

I think you will find that these will be better than any of the monoculars that are made today. Swarovski used to make a 10x40 monocular as well as other sizes. I don't think there was much call for these.
Regards,Steve

Attachments

• Mack Optical & Machine Tool scan (Large).jpg
    Mack Optical & Machine Tool scan (Large).jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 455
Is the Minox a roof or porro? If a roof, do u know if it's phase coated? That would make quite a difference in brightness. Another alternative....Orion has an 8x32 mono roof that is pretty decent at around $140.

The Minox is a porro design, so it is short and squat, more lump than tube.
It is surprisingly easy to hold steady, more so than the usual roof monoculars, perhaps because of that.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back