• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disappointing CP 4500!??! (1 Viewer)

I got curious and did a bit more follow-up. It happens that dpreview.com used the G2 as the comparison model when reviewing the CP4500. You may want to check out this review.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp4500/

The upshot is that it is pretty clear that the G2 in its normal mode applies a significantly higher level of sharpening that the CP4500 does. This increases the G2's apparent noise, creates greater artifacting when rendering fine lines on their resolution charts. But it does yield an image that appears crisper. It also seems that the G2 also does a somewhat better job of demosaicing the Bayer filter mask.

I suspect that if you bump the CP4500's sharpening setting up to the maximum, that it will yield an image more akin to the G2's.

BTW - contrary to what many people do, I always set my CP5000 to maximum sharpening when digiscoping. I find that it is hard to oversharpen a digiscoped image in camera and I'd rather give it a good dose before the image gets JPEG compressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back