• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8X32 Ultravids (1 Viewer)

In frigid temps thick grease, component expansion, and focus resistance are not a problem on Leica's. At sub zero temps careful breathing to avoid icing up the glass can be a problem.

I agree with Leica's engineering approach to low temp focuing which also applies to high temps, and general use. Grease not only gets thick in cold weather it gets runny in hot temps. I find in this category Leicas function better than the competition. That is not a criticism of the other makers. They all work. But I am giving credit to an engineered solution that provides an improvement (in my opinion).

Most (but not all) who have actually used the HDs would be happy with the focus when compared to the competition. Particularly in tough conditions where the design and materials excel while other brands fall short.

The ghosts of old posts continue to breathe and haunt even when the problem is long dead and burried.

Regarding the Zen's I agree they provide outstanding performance for the price. As soon the Zen outperforms the Leica HDs I will buy them.

Before you squirt a glob of lube into your binocular to correct that stiff focus, you might want to meditate on the cleanup costs. The grease cited can be cycled from extreme cold to room temperature (+86F/+30C). That leaves me wondering where it will flow in hotter conditions such as direct sun where bins get quite warm.

However, if your fingers become tired and you do succumb to your urge for a lubricious squirt - Be sure to report back in July and August and let us know if the viscous concoction is still providing satisfaction.

If you find you have a sticky mess on your hands, and your vision is blurred or the skin of your binoculars peels off like an over ripe banana, your research might be useful as a warning for other lubricant pioneers.

-

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back