• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EII's or SE's better? (1 Viewer)

Had an hour with a pair of EII 8X30 today and compared them with 8x32fl. Is it just me or does the EII seem to have a little less magnification?? I am sure you binocular buffs out there will explain this away but there does seem to be a difference to my eyes. As if the EII were perhaps 7x magnification. The field of view is a tad wider with the EII, does this appear to make the magnifcation lower??

It comes from the wider spacing of the objectives (that gives the exaggerated 3D effect) but also seems to have a smaller magnification.

That's often called the "roof illusion" but perhaps should be called the "porro illusion" as roof have the normal eye spacing but the porros are the oddball.

Search for it on the forum to find some other comments.

Along with waterproofing, compactness, reduced weight, and fashion the "roof illusion" probably accounts for the rise of the roof over the porro.

Wider FOV generally gives the subjective feeling of more magnification than a narrower FOV (in my experience at least). I guess it just feels "bigger".

Interesting Kevin, thanks for that I had no idea this was the case. Need to try a pair of 10x35 EII now against my 8x Zeiss roofs to check on differences. Anyone lend me a pair?

It comes from the wider spacing of the objectives (that gives the exaggerated 3D effect) but also seems to have a smaller magnification.

That's often called the "roof illusion" but perhaps should be called the "porro illusion" as roof have the normal eye spacing but the porros are the oddball.

Search for it on the forum to find some other comments.

Along with waterproofing, compactness, reduced weight, and fashion the "roof illusion" probably accounts for the rise of the roof over the porro.

Wider FOV generally gives the subjective feeling of more magnification than a narrower FOV (in my experience at least). I guess it just feels "bigger".

LOL! Walking while looking through binoculars...interesting. Check out "Japanese Binocular Football" on U-tube for an equally thrill-inducing experience. Anyway, Ger, now that you and I are possibly Ireland´s only Nikon 8x30 EII buffs, keep us posted. (I was out the Bridges a few days ago with mine. It rained. Nothing happened.)

Yeah its an exclusive club alright. I'm suprised it was raining at the bridges not with our climate and all that:smoke: Hope you had a nice time hope to get down in a couple of weeks. Keep the faith Ger.;)

I haven't laughed that much in a good while. Thanks, sir!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj7f3B1VCYM

As a conclusion to this thread I have decided I personally prefer the view through the Nikon EII's over the Nikon SE's. I bought the Nikon 8x30 EII and the 10x35 EII and sold my Nikon 8x32 SE's. I prefer the wider FOV of the EII's and I also prefer the ergonomics and the smaller size versus the SE's. The SE's to me are like looking down a tunnel compared to the EII's. The EII's have a wonderful picture screen WIDE 3D view and it is very addictive. I like the leatherette covering of the EII's and the ER and eyecups work perfect for me. I feel they are the best buy in binoculars out there right now so get yours while you still can. The EII's basically beat the SE's and that is my conclusion on these two binoculars. Try them you will like them!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back