• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier phase-corrected 10x32 (1 Viewer)

Swifty49

Scouse Scoper
Anyone know anything about these bins? I have the 8x32 Hawke Endurance and like them. I want a bit of extra magnification and Uttings Outdoors have these Frontiers at £79 which is less than half-price.

I was looking at getting another pair of Endurance in 10x42 but the phase-correction of these smaller Frontiers (and the price) caught my eye.

Anyone with an opinion that might help me make my mind up? :t:

I bought the Hawke Frontier phase-corrected 10x32 from Uttings and they arrived yesterday. I haven't had them in the field or a hide yet (tomorrow I will though)

For the price (£79 instead of £169) they are great little bins. I have been trying them out in my garden alongside my Nikon ED60 scope and they hold up very nicely and I am not getting any of the "dull greyness" that Clive has experienced. Eye relief is good too with the cups twisted up fully, as I am a contact-lens wearer.

All-in-all a good buy with the compactness and light weight making a pleasant change from the 10x42 pair I had been using a lot.

What no grayness. You lucky sod!

I think its because my other 3 bins have or in the case of the 8x32 Frontier PC certainly seem to have ED type glass although its not spec listed. They the 8x25 somehow have the lowest CA of them all?

At least I hope thats the explanation and anyway for the price I still think they are very useful. I also now prefer 10x32's over the 42's. Just that little bit of extra compactness -although these are very compact- makes for a nice little bin that doesn't take up much space.

The fact that I can make id's slightly better at distance with the 10x32 Frontier than I can with my 8x56 ProStalk ED is proof enough for me. The Prostalk I would still prefer overall though but it is quite a lot bigger.

The focus is incredibly fast. About a 1/4 turn near to far. Can take some getting used to on the other hand it can be very useful when there are near and far subjects. I really have to restle with tthe 8x56 to get between the two.

BTW did they come with a rather huge neck strap. My 8x56 came with a small one? So I swopped them and it works well.

Mine definitely have a grayish aspect. I am dissapointed to hear that yours do not (but pleased for you of course) as I am sure it would be noticable against your ED scope?

Actually I'll just add onto this after another try. It seems i might have been setting the diopter to much +. Getting a focus is a bit of a wobbly afair but if I use the diopter nearer to zero which just seems to involve a different wobbly focus technique then the gray cast somehow seems to lessen. Its good for picking out grey things though!

I bought the Hawke Frontier phase-corrected 10x32 from Uttings and they arrived yesterday. I haven't had them in the field or a hide yet (tomorrow I will though)

For the price (£79 instead of £169) they are great little bins. I have been trying them out in my garden alongside my Nikon ED60 scope and they hold up very nicely and I am not getting any of the "dull greyness" that Clive has experienced. Eye relief is good too with the cups twisted up fully, as I am a contact-lens wearer.

All-in-all a good buy with the compactness and light weight making a pleasant change from the 10x42 pair I had been using a lot.

Last edited:
I see the Panorama price is out. Maybe you're jumping the gun?

£475 vs £569. I have to place a limit on my bino budget to continue with my other optical interest of astro telescopes. I don't think you could lose whichever one I went for (Sapphire/Panorama). I have a Panorama scope on my target rifle and although noit ED glass it is a delight to view through.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back