• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid comparison? (1 Viewer)

John Traynor said:
Anyone who uses the SE 8X32 to study flowers, spiders, etc. will attest to the fact that it delivers a distortion-free 3D view that is stable, full of colorful details, and as easy on the eye as I can imagine.

John

Not quite everyone. I have to close one eye when viewing close by objects with my 8x32 SE as I cannot combine the image no matter how I adjust it.

Leif

Leif said:
Not quite everyone. I have to close one eye when viewing close by objects with my 8x32 SE as I cannot combine the image no matter how I adjust it.

Leif

I have the same experience with my 8x32 SEs.

Sean

Leif said:

Leif

Leif,

I wonder if it has to do with individual IPD. My normal IPD is 57mm so I can easily adjust downward on the SE. Perhaps those with higher IPD's have less latitude and are, therefore, happier with roofs.

This is just one more bit of anecdotal evidence to support the notion that individual preferences reign supreme.

John

John Traynor said:
Leif,

I wonder if it has to do with individual IPD. My normal IPD is 57mm so I can easily adjust downward on the SE. Perhaps those with higher IPD's have less latitude and are, therefore, happier with roofs.

This is just one more bit of anecdotal evidence to support the notion that individual preferences reign supreme.

John

Could be though I like the greater 3D image of the porro. Leif.

kabsetz said:
Elkcub,

You are absolutely correct in your assessment about optical axis parrelism and the need of the eyes to look progressively more off-axis the closer you look. Likewise concerning the differences between porros (except for the rare ones with underslung prism assemblies) and roofs as well as the greater demands for eyepiece design that this places on porros if you want them to perform well at close ranges. I just measured my 10x42 SE which, for my 65mm IP setting has optical axes 130mm apart. For a Leica Ultravid 8x32, 65mm IP gives 65mm spread between the axes. Nikon x32 HG's have optical axes closer than the IPD, and Swaro EL range a little farther. It would be very simple to measure how far off-axis the image will be situated at different distances with a typical porro and a typical roof providing you view stereo with both eyes and attempt to place the image symmetrically for both eyes. I suspect that many people with a pronouncedly dominant eye will tend to place the object of interest closer to the center for the dominant eye and further off-axis for the latent eye to make close range viewing easier.

The SE is one of the few birding porros which has a large enough sweet spot to allow for satisfactory close range viewing, but as John said, even then it is much easier if you adjust the IPD in these situations. Personally, I would prefer the SE to have underslung prisms, even at the cost of reduced stereo perception. This would bring their parallax error down to the same level as it is with roofs, and would also make them easier to hold at least for me.

I suspect that one reason roof prism binoculars have gained such popularity is that a majority of people try out their prospective choices inside a store, where distances are always closer and roof prism binoculars enjoy their inherent parallax advantage to the full.

Actually, the reason for adjusting the IPD is not so much to make the images overlap better - since the effect on this is marginal - but to align the exit pupils with the pupils of your eyes. As you look closer, you progressively cross your eyes more, whereby your IPD gets narrower. I just measured the most comfortable IPD for both the SE and Leica at 3 meters distance, and for both it was down from 65 to about 62mm (the SE does not really focus that close, but even with an out-of-focus image I could determine the best IPD very easily. A three millimeter difference in parallax is almost insignificant with respect to image overlap, but proper alignment of the eye to the exit pupil is important for viewing comfort.

In theory at least, it would be possible to design a binocular where the collimation of the optical axes would adjust together with the focus. However, this would no doubt result in an exceedingly expensive and complex design.

Kimmo

Kimmo,

My compliments on an excellent explanation. I also like your novel idea about consumer preferences based on in-store evaluations, and the future challenge of optics that converge.

My take on everyone's comments is that the eyes converge so as to maintain corresponding foreground object images on each retina. The wider apart the binoc's optical axes are to start with, the farther out convergence must be initiated. Without physically moving the oculars closer, the convergence limit should be roughly half the exit pupil diameter (i.e., as a tangent function of the eye's rotation angle). At closer focusing distances, if the oculars are then brought together somewhere around half the exit pupil diameter, the eye could essentially look cross-axis to the maximum extent (based on my limited optical knowledge). In practice the max cross-angle is probably not realized for several reasons, but 3±e mm does seem reasonable considering typical exit pupil sizes.

Other factors aside, if this were true it would follow that: (1) larger exit pupils should aid close focusing, (2) reverse porros should be easier to close-focus than standard porros (or roofs). Folks with narrow IPDs should be able to focus closer than those with wide IPDs. When the close focus of the optics is nearer than these convergence limits allow — only one eye could be used effectively.

-elk

Last edited:
Elk, you are quite right. Viewing close is easiest with reverse porros, although for purely geometrical reasons the advantage of reverse porros over roofs is not as large as that of roofs over traditional porros. Large exit pupils would help in the sense that they would slightly lessen the need/benefit of adjusting your IPD for close ranges. On the other hand, large exit pupil in a roof prism design puts limitations on the minimum IPD attainable, and in a traditional porro would not offset the handicap brought by the wider spacing of the optical axes. A reverse porro could be made with large exit pupils, but I do not know of one. The closest thing that comes to mind is the B&L Elite 8x50 with its underslung prism assemblies, a binocular that I have never seen or held.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back