• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a value standout (1 Viewer)

westNE

I find myself drawn to optics that offer a value. I also seem to move through optics with regularity just because I want to try something new.

So far I have tried, fieldscope ediii with 15-45 eyepiece, Kowa 664 w/ te-9z, and currently a Kowa 601 w/te-9z. It's time to try something new and it seems attention attraction is to scopes that cost less but can possibly get me close to these in optical performance by trying additional eyepieces. Primary use will be hunting and nature observation so the scope needs to be waterproof, portable (60-65mm), and have a zoom mag range.

I would like to keep total investment in the-$6-700 range.

-Celestron Ultima 65 with Baader Hyperion zoom, this combination really intrigues me, any thoughts as to how it compares with other scopes on the market
-Celestron Regal ED M2
-used Pentax PF-ED 65- problem here seems to be limited zoom eyepiece availability that will focus at infinity
-Vanguard Endeavor hd 65mm
What others am I missing?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
You might find a used Opticron MM3 or newer MM4 with HDF 15-45x zoom in that price range. Some retailers have the MM4/HDF packaged at $859.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back