• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Film clip of Sprawk display N.East London. (1 Viewer)

KenM

FWIW I Took this film clip on 28th Jan showing Sprawk display, having tried numerous times unsuccessfully in the past, due to not being able to see the ''Sprawks for the trees''. For once, I had an ''un-interrupted'' view lasting 1m.28 sec. and it occurred to me, that others may not have seen this display before, hence the showing. I might add that they can be even more spectacular, producing multiple ''rollercoasters'' during the sequence. Although perhaps not up to David Attenborough's Planet Earth standards....possibly better than a ''poke in the eye with a sharp stick'' ;)

Cheers

https://youtu.be/okdkF8ayL0A

Didn't realise they started so early in the year, Ken. I'm not infrequently surprised by how much supposed 'spring' breeding behaviour occurs in Jan/Feb. Duck displays are perhaps the most obvious one..but I see, for example, on the Cornish birding website, several Dippers were in song yesterday. I haven't heard Dipper singing for twenty-plus years despite a few half-attempts in recent years (last one I heard was in Oct or Nov somewhere). For my part, I've got Blackcaps and Goldcrests singing in my garden on St Agnes this past week, despite 40 mph cold northerly winds and temperatures around 6 degrees before wind-chill. One of the former was singing in torrential hail during the week!

This might come as a surprise Graham...it certainly was for me on Dec.27th just gone. I had continuous display from 8-8.15 am by both birds with multiple dives and “roller-coasters”, it was a sunny morning, although I have witnessed shorter displays on dull overcast days.
I can add, that a pair of Magpies have been nestbuilding in my neighbour’s grdn. since last week! Seems early to me, but then I’ve never previously kept records of these events. :-C

Didn't realise they started so early in the year, Ken. I'm not infrequently surprised by how much supposed 'spring' breeding behaviour occurs in Jan/Feb. Duck displays are perhaps the most obvious one..but I see, for example, on the Cornish birding website, several Dippers were in song yesterday. I haven't heard Dipper singing for twenty-plus years despite a few half-attempts in recent years (last one I heard was in Oct or Nov somewhere). For my part, I've got Blackcaps and Goldcrests singing in my garden on St Agnes this past week, despite 40 mph cold northerly winds and temperatures around 6 degrees before wind-chill. One of the former was singing in torrential hail during the week!

I had Dunnocks singing outside my front window in Nottingham last week.

I had Dunnocks singing outside my front window in Nottingham last week.

I tend to think I've got a handle on the song periods of most of our common stuff, but come to think of it, I'd have to look up Dunnock in BWP. My guess is they can sing at more or less any time of year, given a decent enough day - except for the usual late summer silence common to the majority of species. Tremendous Song Thrush chorus building on St Agnes past 48 hours as temperatures return to double figures.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back