• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia (2) (1 Viewer)

Billy Dog

Two more mysteries from me, for which I'd be grateful for help. The first two pictures were taken in Mompox, Colombia, last week, but I don't know whether these are Band-backed or Stripe-backed Wrens.

The third and fourth pictures, which are very poor quality I'm afraid, are of parrots in the very centre of urban Medellin.

And one final question, if I may, which perhaps I should address to another forum. I saw, and photographed, a Green-winged Teal in Sanguare (on the Caribbean coast of Colombia) which, if the recent McMullan Field Guide to the birds of Colombia is to be believed, is very unusual (he says that there have been only three records in Colombia to 2018). If this is the case, I should report it to someone in Colombia, but I have no idea who! Can anyone help please?

Attachments

• P1140540.jpg
    P1140540.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 28
  • P1140542.jpg
    P1140542.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 31
  • P1140356.JPG
    P1140356.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 19
  • P1140358.jpg
    P1140358.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 24
First is a Wren, Band-backed?

Edit: Sorry, I never read the text in a post until I've tried my hand at the ID, it corrupts my process!

Spotted rather than banded flanks plus warm colour to the underparts, I'd say Band-backed.

Last edited:
And one final question, if I may, which perhaps I should address to another forum. I saw, and photographed, a Green-winged Teal in Sanguare (on the Caribbean coast of Colombia) which, if the recent McMullan Field Guide to the birds of Colombia is to be believed, is very unusual (he says that there have been only three records in Colombia to 2018). If this is the case, I should report it to someone in Colombia, but I have no idea who! Can anyone help please?
You can submit a checklist to eBird, then if its rare the regional reviewer will see it and approve it.

1-2.stripe backed wren

I agree although I think this particular pair of photos is difficult. Apparent orangy eye should point to band-backed (pale for stripe-backed), and there's an indication of more rufous on the flanks which is also good for that species. I think both may be artefacts, though.

The lack of spotting on the throat and upper breast can only be stripe-backed, I think: looking at the photos in the Macauley library, heavy spotting and streaking seemed the one constant for band-backed.

I agree although I think this particular pair of photos is difficult. Apparent orangy eye should point to band-backed (pale for stripe-backed), and there's an indication of more rufous on the flanks which is also good for that species. I think both may be artefacts, though.

The lack of spotting on the throat and upper breast can only be stripe-backed, I think: looking at the photos in the Macauley library, heavy spotting and streaking seemed the one constant for band-backed.

What about the absence of flank barring?

Many thanks. Here are three more (cropped) photos of the same bird. Do these help or confuse even more?!

I have no previous experience of these species and was using the new (third edition) McMullan Field Guide. There were other similar birds in a square, elsewhere in Mompox, which I didn't manage to photograph but which I initially thought might be Stripe-backed. But that may not help at all!

Attachments

• P1140541.jpg
    P1140541.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 10
  • P1140539.jpg
    P1140539.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 5
  • P1140538.JPG
    P1140538.JPG
    371.6 KB · Views: 4
Many thanks. Here are three more (cropped) photos of the same bird. Do these help or confuse even more?!

I have no previous experience of these species and was using the new (third edition) McMullan Field Guide. There were other similar birds in a square, elsewhere in Mompox, which I didn't manage to photograph but which I initially thought might be Stripe-backed. But that may not help at all!

I think this confirms it: here the pale eye is much more apparent. Second photo gives a hint of the longitudinal striping on the back too.

(The web suggests that these 2 species are usually much more distinct. However, from the "right" angle and in some plumages they can be very similar. The pics in the Proaves guide are no help in distinguishing the 2 species although if you squint you can just about make out the difference in eye colour. Birds of Northern South America notes eye colour explicitly.)

I think this confirms it: here the pale eye is much more apparent. Second photo gives a hint of the longitudinal striping on the back too.

(The web suggests that these 2 species are usually much more distinct. However, from the "right" angle and in some plumages they can be very similar. The pics in the Proaves guide are no help in distinguishing the 2 species although if you squint you can just about make out the difference in eye colour. Birds of Northern South America notes eye colour explicitly.)

Some confusing shots on Google showing extensively barred flanks?

http://jboyd.net/Venezuela04/20D-1501.jpg

Habitat is said to be a clue in Colombia with Stripe-backed preferring drier habitat.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back