Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Colombia (2)

Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 18:01   #1
Billy Dog

Colombia (2)

Two more mysteries from me, for which I'd be grateful for help. The first two pictures were taken in Mompox, Colombia, last week, but I don't know whether these are Band-backed or Stripe-backed Wrens.

The third and fourth pictures, which are very poor quality I'm afraid, are of parrots in the very centre of urban Medellin.

And one final question, if I may, which perhaps I should address to another forum. I saw, and photographed, a Green-winged Teal in Sanguare (on the Caribbean coast of Colombia) which, if the recent McMullan Field Guide to the birds of Colombia is to be believed, is very unusual (he says that there have been only three records in Colombia to 2018). If this is the case, I should report it to someone in Colombia, but I have no idea who! Can anyone help please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140540.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	687752  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140542.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	687753  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140356.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	687754  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140358.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	687755  
Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 18:26   #2
andyadcock

First is a Wren, Band-backed?

Edit: Sorry, I never read the text in a post until I've tried my hand at the ID, it corrupts my process!

Spotted rather than banded flanks plus warm colour to the underparts, I'd say Band-backed.

Last edited by andyadcock : Thursday 21st February 2019 at 18:34.
Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 02:10   #3
Seth Miller

Quote:
And one final question, if I may, which perhaps I should address to another forum. I saw, and photographed, a Green-winged Teal in Sanguare (on the Caribbean coast of Colombia) which, if the recent McMullan Field Guide to the birds of Colombia is to be believed, is very unusual (he says that there have been only three records in Colombia to 2018). If this is the case, I should report it to someone in Colombia, but I have no idea who! Can anyone help please?
You can submit a checklist to eBird, then if its rare the regional reviewer will see it and approve it.
Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 03:05   #4
arcadillor

1-2.stripe backed wren
3.orange chinned parakeet
4.brown throated parakeet
Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 11:03   #5
Billy Dog

Many thanks to you both for your help.
Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 14:50   #6
THE_FERN

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadillor View Post
1-2.stripe backed wren
I agree although I think this particular pair of photos is difficult. Apparent orangy eye should point to band-backed (pale for stripe-backed), and there's an indication of more rufous on the flanks which is also good for that species. I think both may be artefacts, though.

The lack of spotting on the throat and upper breast can only be stripe-backed, I think: looking at the photos in the Macauley library, heavy spotting and streaking seemed the one constant for band-backed.
Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 15:15   #7
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FERN View Post
I agree although I think this particular pair of photos is difficult. Apparent orangy eye should point to band-backed (pale for stripe-backed), and there's an indication of more rufous on the flanks which is also good for that species. I think both may be artefacts, though.

The lack of spotting on the throat and upper breast can only be stripe-backed, I think: looking at the photos in the Macauley library, heavy spotting and streaking seemed the one constant for band-backed.
What about the absence of flank barring?
Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 17:26   #8
Billy Dog

Many thanks. Here are three more (cropped) photos of the same bird. Do these help or confuse even more?!

I have no previous experience of these species and was using the new (third edition) McMullan Field Guide. There were other similar birds in a square, elsewhere in Mompox, which I didn't manage to photograph but which I initially thought might be Stripe-backed. But that may not help at all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140541.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	687802  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140539.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	687803  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140538.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	687804  
Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 18:48   #9
THE_FERN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Dog View Post
Many thanks. Here are three more (cropped) photos of the same bird. Do these help or confuse even more?!

I have no previous experience of these species and was using the new (third edition) McMullan Field Guide. There were other similar birds in a square, elsewhere in Mompox, which I didn't manage to photograph but which I initially thought might be Stripe-backed. But that may not help at all!
I think this confirms it: here the pale eye is much more apparent. Second photo gives a hint of the longitudinal striping on the back too.

(The web suggests that these 2 species are usually much more distinct. However, from the "right" angle and in some plumages they can be very similar. The pics in the Proaves guide are no help in distinguishing the 2 species although if you squint you can just about make out the difference in eye colour. Birds of Northern South America notes eye colour explicitly.)
Old Saturday 23rd February 2019, 06:34   #10
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FERN View Post
I think this confirms it: here the pale eye is much more apparent. Second photo gives a hint of the longitudinal striping on the back too.

(The web suggests that these 2 species are usually much more distinct. However, from the "right" angle and in some plumages they can be very similar. The pics in the Proaves guide are no help in distinguishing the 2 species although if you squint you can just about make out the difference in eye colour. Birds of Northern South America notes eye colour explicitly.)
Some confusing shots on Google showing extensively barred flanks?

http://jboyd.net/Venezuela04/20D-1501.jpg

Habitat is said to be a clue in Colombia with Stripe-backed preferring drier habitat.
Old Sunday 24th February 2019, 18:40   #11
Billy Dog

Many thanks for all this help - much appreciated, and an interesting challenge!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: