• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (1 Viewer)

Just had another little play with the companions before sending them back and I found that used without glasses the design of the eyecups allows a wonderfully immersive view despite the modest FOV. With me it's unfortunately a whole different picture with glasses though, even though they are quite close fitting.
Will be very interesting to see how the Victory pockets compare.

Well, this is probably not the thread to sing the praises of the Zeiss and talk disparagingly of the Swarovski , but anyway, having now compared the two and, taking into consideration the much smaller size of the Zeiss in relation to it's performance, I can say that personally I much prefer the Zeiss.

I'm sure I'll post more on the Zeiss pocket thread later but for now I'll just say I'm impressed! They really are super sharp and bright mini SF's!
I'm definitely keeping them :t:

Has someone compared the companion vs rhe new zeiss victory pocket 8x25 ?

Well, this is probably not the thread to sing the praises of the Zeiss and talk disparagingly of the Swarovski , but anyway, having now compared the two and, taking into consideration the much smaller size of the Zeiss in relation to it's performance, I can say that personally I much prefer the Zeiss.

I'm sure I'll post more on the Zeiss pocket thread later but for now I'll just say I'm impressed! They really are super sharp and bright mini SF's!
I'm definitely keeping them :t:

I have also the Zeiss pocket since monday, quite impress, so small but so glorious

I should received new CL 8x30 next week to compare but since you had both which is the best regarding flare (zeiss is super resistant, impressive), CA (zeiss also is impressive) and ease of view

Should also received 2 sort of winged eyecups, should help for ease of view

I only had the CL for a day so really can't say anything about it's flare resistance at all, I didn't notice anything untoward in my short time with them.
To be honest I just took an almost instant dislike to them, well, not dislike as such but I knew straight away that they just wouldn't suit me. You might find quite the reverse though.

Just comparing my SF's to the Pocket Victory just now and amazingly the daylight view is almost identical apart from FOV and a little less bright. They are way brighter than my Bushnell 7x26.

Ease of view way better with the Zeiss and my glasses over CL, very easy relaxed, wide view, no trouble at all. Without glasses you might find CL better though.
Again, can't say much about CA in the CL as I didn't have them long enough but certainly not noticed it in the Zeiss so far.

Should also say that I'm pretty sure the Zeiss are sharper than the CL I had. Though take that statement with a pinch of salt as I've often changed my mind or been wrong about sharpness in the past unless comparing bins directly A-B.
I feel bad now, dissing the CL in its own thread! Don't really mean to , it's just subjective, others might much prefer the CL over the Zeiss.
Hope that helps Cfranchi.

Last edited:
All,

Just wanted to post some information/experiences regarding the CL Companion since I last posted which has been some time ago.

OK, I didn't sell it after all and still have it...

As you already know, but likely don't recall, I purchased the urban jungle package and found that I wasn't content with the strap in that package. I had purchased the EL loop connectors to use with a standard strap but found they were not compatible with CL companions (pin size issue). So, set everything aside for some time.

Happened across a post on another forum the other day showing how to modify the EL loop connectors to work with the CL pins ... and then found another post that Swarovski will send pins and loop connectors that are compatible with the CL. So I gave them a call.

Found out that the CL is sold as a package only and CL straps and cases (northern lights, wild nature, urban jungle) are not available individually at this time. So, be certain to choose the package that is going to work for you as you will not be able to switch out among them.

Found out the EL pins (longer than CL pins) are compatible with the CL Companion binoculars using the EL loop connectors and SONA customer service sent those out to me pronto. A+ this go around for SONA customer service.

Found out the hinge end cap w/ Swaro logo (objective end) is held in place with black max loctite. Mine fell off some time ago; I will re-attach myself as I do not want to send them in for such an issue.

I now use my CL's with the old CL strap (when I prefer comfort), the pocket CL strap (when I prefer minimalism), and strapless (when I prefer no strap at all). The field pro system works well for this; changing strap scenarios can be done quickly and with little fuss and no re-adjustment of the strap necessary.

CG

..............I now use my CL's with the old CL strap (when I prefer comfort), the pocket CL strap (when I prefer minimalism), and strapless (when I prefer no strap at all). The field pro system works well for this; changing strap scenarios can be done quickly and with little fuss and no re-adjustment of the strap necessary.

CG

Nevertheless looks like a lot of unnecessary hassle simply because Swarovski wanted some special strap system to make things look "exclusive". I can well do without such extra challenges and attach my preferred type (like one by Optech) without needing extra support from the binocular manufacturer.

Last edited:
Nevertheless looks like a lot of unnecessary hassle simply because Swarovski wanted some special strap system to make things look "exclusive". I can well do without such extra challenges and attach my preferred type (like one by Optech) without needing extra support from the binocular manufacturer.

Yes, it really is a matter of perspective.

Here is an amusing and entertaining perspective for consideration: With the field-pro system strap removal and replacement is a matter of seconds vs minutes. If that time savings is applied to income producing time and one changes between straps and no strap frequently/perhaps daily (like me, not you) ... then one will recoup their initial cash outlay over a period of time, which ultimately makes this a no cost/free binocular!!! Not a bad deal at all...

Open mindedness can be a good thing B :)

CG

Here is an amusing and entertaining perspective for consideration: With the field-pro system strap removal and replacement is a matter of seconds vs minutes. If that time savings is applied to income producing time and one changes between straps and no strap frequently/perhaps daily (like me, not you) ... then one will recoup their initial cash outlay over a period of time, which ultimately makes this a no cost/free binocular!!! Not a bad deal at all...

CG

So I presume you must be a dealer. Who else would do so many changes. And not everybody functions by a "time is money" priority. Yet, it was not even a monetary aspect I meant with my post. Peace of mind can't be easily converted into a monetary unit, but it has its subjective values that I cherish dearly.

Last edited:

That switch to the field-pro system is a reason why I won't buy any other Swarovski roof in the future. I've got the CL 10x30, a relly nice lightweight pair, but I don't like having to jump though hoops to switch to a strap I like. I also know two guys who dropped their binoculars when the attachment came loose.

I still have NO idea why a company like Swarovski would introduce such a horrible proprietary system - other than to make some additional money, of course.

Hermann

CG

Hey, your thinking is too constrained. At a certain point, you'll actually be _making_ money from the quick strap changes! Of course, you left out one cost, which must be figured in for a true accounting: the quick-change straps are also prone to getting twists in them (impossible with conventional straps), which take time to remove.

--AP

Hey, your thinking is too constrained. At a certain point, you'll actually be _making_ money from the quick strap changes! Of course, you left out one cost, which must be figured in for a true accounting: the quick-change straps are also prone to getting twists in them (impossible with conventional straps), which take time to remove.

--AP

I have a Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B that came with one of those quick change straps that are attached with flat topped pins. At first I was annoyed with it and worried about the pin coming loose and dropping off the binocular. In fact, one time it did but I caught it in time and I have been more watchful and cautious when I use it.

One good thing about it is is that it is very easy to remove tangles in the straps. Figure out which direction to rotate the strap around that little pin and the twist in it comes right out!:t:

Bob

I have a Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B that came with one of those quick change straps that are attached with flat topped pins. At first I was annoyed with it and worried about the pin coming loose and dropping off the binocular. In fact, one time it did but I caught it in time and I have been more watchful and cautious when I use it.

One good thing about it is is that it is very easy to remove tangles in the straps. Figure out which direction to rotate the strap around that little pin and the twist in it comes right out!:t:

Bob

Uhh....sounds great. But your reply leaves me even more sure that I prefer conventional straps since they don't pop off and they can't get twisted in the first place. Swarovski needs to consider adding a stop to prevent full 360 degree rotation at the strap attachment.

--AP

Last edited:
Uhh....sounds great. But your reply leaves me even more sure that I prefer conventional straps since they don't pop off and they can't get twisted in the first place. Swarovski needs to consider adding a stop to prevent full 360 degree rotation at the strap attachment.

--AP

I didn't buy it for the strap. I bought it because Swarovski sold it with their new CL Companion 8x30 B which has built into its eye piece a so-called "Optical Box" that makes eye placement very easy when using the binocular and I wanted the binocular for this reason.

Swarovski didn't sell it with a regular strap.

Additionally Swarovski required the buyer to purchase one of 3 different cases to get the binocular. An odd introduction of a new binocular I would venture to say!

Fortunately, for me anyway, I find my new CL Companion 8x30 B to be the easiest binocular to use that I have ever owned. I'm not looking for another strap or case just yet.

Bob

...their new CL Companion 8x30 B which has built into its eye piece a so-called "Optical Box" that makes eye placement very easy when using the binocular...

The so-called "optical box" is good marketing. I wonder if it is also present in the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP, or the new Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket? I always used to say that I could see through the former even when holding the bins sideways to my face (an exaggeration, yes, but a feeling based on comparative experience with other 7x42 bins), and I find the latter extraordinary for its ease of eye placement despite the small exit pupil.

--AP

The so-called "optical box" is good marketing. I wonder if it is also present in the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP, or the new Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket? I always used to say that I could see through the former even when holding the bins sideways to my face (an exaggeration, yes, but a feeling based on comparative experience with other 7x42 bins), and I find the latter extraordinary for its ease of eye placement despite the small exit pupil.

--AP

Hi AP,

The only place I can recall seeing the "Optical Box" discussed was on Bird Forum early in this thread by Jan Van Daalen. Gijs might have discussed it too.

Back in July 2014 I purchased a new Philippine made Pentax 9x32 DCF BC from Camera Land for $289.00. After using it a bit I found I could hold it braced against my Brow Ridge and also further back in my eye sockets without getting any blackouts. I used it as a car binocular for about a year.

That Pentax and my Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B are the only binoculars I can use in that manner and not suffer blackouts. It was because of that binocular that I decided to get the aforesaid Swarovski CLC 8x30 B.

You mentioned that your Zeiss 7x42 BGATP also had easy eye placement. I have noticed the same thing while using my Zeiss Victory 7x42 T* FL but not to the extent I do when using my Swarovski CLC 8x30 B.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back