• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (1 Viewer)

I`ll be over there on Wednesday so if anyone could confirm that the GN Diver was still hanging around tomorrow it would be greatly appreciated ta.

Saturday afternoon I went up to Macclesfield Forrest and saw Heron, Cormorant, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Long Tailed Tit flock with Goldcrest. Also saw a Red Deer Stag standing in water at Trentabank Reservoir drinking and grazing. It was there for some time.

Dean:t:

Peregrine and Sparrowhawk hunting the Starlings at their roost on Runcorn Bridge at dusk this evening.

cheers

Ring Tail Hen Harrier at Inner Marsh Farm this afternoon, Snipe, Water Rail, Linnet etc. Burton Marsh saw a Peregrine, 3 Ravens and 4 Short Eared Owls and Parkgate saw another 3 Short Eared Owls another Peregrine, Reed Buntings,Linnets etc.

cheers

Gt Nthn Diver still on the Marine Lake at West Kirby, Snow Bunting seem to be hanging around by Pinfold Steps ( between West Kirby prom and Red Rocks), and at least 3 Water Rail inthe reedbed at Red Rocks today, I also had a flock of 20+ possible Waxwing over ( too far away by the time I got my scope on them!)
Chris

Quick trip to Jacksons Brickworks in Poynton at 3.10pm getting dusky at this time with a little drizzle, really quiet but for a pair of Bullfinch showing really well and loads of Blackbirds............ otherwise its back to my feeders for the Coal tits.

Dave

Hi All,
Not posted for a while as i haven't been out much but tomorrow will be my first winter visit to my atlas tetrad near Wynbury (between Crewe and Nantwich).
I have just taken posession of the newly published Cheshire bird atlas and what a magnificent job has been done by all involved. Its enormous (700 pages & very heavy)! and well worth a read. Its also one to show the little'uns as i covered a few tetrads and my name is published!.
Has great views of six Red Kites from the train just south of Oxford on friday.

Jason

Last edited:
Had a good day out on the Wirral today. High tide at King's Gap, Hoylake:
thousands of Knot milling about, seemed quite jumpy but no raptors spotted. Redshank, Oystercatcher, Dunlin, Sanderling, Grey Plover, Ringed Plover, a few Black-tailed Godwit and one Bar-tailed Godwit (showing the remains of his summer plumage). Bonus was 3 Snow Buntings.

Then went to West Kirby and saw the Great Northern Diver on the Marine Lake.

Finally Inner Marsh Farm: fairly quiet but among the usual suspects saw Fieldfare, Snipe, Kestrel, Buzzard, Pintail and 2 very distant female Goldeneyes. Bonus was seeing Water Rail close to the hide - wading (and on one occasion leaping!) across the open water areas between reed clumps.

Had a good day out on the Wirral today. High tide at King's Gap, Hoylake:
thousands of Knot milling about, seemed quite jumpy but no raptors spotted.

Called in at Parkgate late afternoon. At least 3 ringtails plus a stunning young adult male (still a hint of brown on it's back). Could easily have been 5 ringtails - bit difficult to keep an eye on the roost whilst watching the male. Also 4 short-eared owls, a barn owl and a pair of stonechats. Hoping to catch up with the snow buntings and GN diver tomorrow.

Great Northern Diver still at West Kirby Marine Lake today, 2 Short Eared Owls/Peregrine/Stonechats at Parkgate and 4 Short Eared Owls/Ring Tailed Harrier and Peregrine at Burton Marsh.

cheers.

Out at Frodsham marsh today. There was a single Scaup still on the lagoon, 2 Ruff still around, female Merlin (probably followed Dunlin as they cam in at high tide), c30 Twite feeding on the vegetated part of the lagoon (i only saw part of the flock) and 5 Redpoll hanging around wth the Goldfinch.

Gareth

From Richard Smith's excellent website - "November 16, 2008:
25 Short-eared Owl on Burton Marsh this afternoon, this must be the highest ever!!!" More info http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/ Normally the counts at Burton are carried out by the RSPB's site manager and given the high numbers recorded elsewhere on the estuary I suspect this is a very accurate record.

yeah the warden did the count himself on Sunday afternoon- he actually went out onto the marsh to do it.

The RSPB are sure its a record- can`t recall hearing of anything like it myself.

cheers

At New brighton today i had 15 Purple sands go to roost on the pontoon at the marine lake, also 2 or 3 Merlins around - 2(m+f) seen in the morning and female seen in the afternoon.

Burton marsh late afternoon loads of SEO's!! I had 23 in one sweep across. Also around 2 Barn owls, ringtail Hen harrier and Merlin. I didn't see the Marsh harrier.

Gareth

Out at Frodsham marsh today. There was a single Scaup still on the lagoon, 2 Ruff still around, female Merlin (probably followed Dunlin as they cam in at high tide), c30 Twite feeding on the vegetated part of the lagoon (i only saw part of the flock) and 5 Redpoll hanging around wth the Goldfinch.

Gareth

Gareth

You should submit this record to Cheshire rarities committee. Twite have not been recorded at Frodsham in such a large flock for many years! The site is watched regularly and I understand the last twite was 10 years ago. They are a very rare bird anywhere in Cheshire with a mximum 1 or 2 birds recorded annually.

Gareth

You should submit this record to Cheshire rarities committee. Twite have not been recorded at Frodsham in such a large flock for many years! The site is watched regularly and I understand the last twite was 10 years ago. They are a very rare bird anywhere in Cheshire with a mximum 1 or 2 birds recorded annually.

Will do. Have you got any details of where/to whom to send the record. I personally would only submit a record of 6 birds as thats all i saw, but 2 collegues saw the c30. I'd not seen Twite before but they were definately Twite, two prominent wing bar (in flight), quite gingery coloured and more subtle differrences in plumage colour, more rounded body shape and dumpy looking than Linnets.

If anyone wants to go have a look for them they were on the vegetated area of the slurry lagoon (no. 6 lagoon?) veiwed from the north side as the track bends round to the right (about here: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&lm=0).

Gareth

Last edited:
Middlewood Way (Higher Poynton)

10.30am - Noon

Redwing c20
Song Thrush 2
Great Tit 2
Wren 2
Long Tails 6
Blue Tit c12
Mallard 6
Morehen
Chaffinch 1M + 1F
Goldfinch 2
Jay 4
plus numerous Carrion, Magpie, Blackbird, Robin

Twite

I feel I need to clarrify my posts about Twite, or the very probable lack of Twite. After discussions with Phil via PM it seems very unlikely that the birds i saw were Twite but Redpolls amongst a flock of Linnets. Which should have been obvious as i've seen loads of them before!

I will definately take more time over IDing possible Twite in the future and take more detailed notes!

Gareth

Macclesfield Forest 09.45 - 12.45

On bottoms reservoir and macc forest:
G C Grebe 1
Little Grebe 4
BH Gull 6
Tufted 6m 4f
Pochard 1m
Coot 20+
Buzzard 4 All in the air together, then two singles later on
Kestrel 2
Cormorant 4 1 on water 3 in trees

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back