• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm thinking about selling my 8x42s for 7x42s (1 Viewer)

Wal,
You are kind of in the same boat as me, I really can't justify owning two very expensive bins. I would love to have an alpha quality 7x42 but, I think I would have to pay an additional $600.00 - $800.00 on top of what I would be able to sell my pre-HD 8x42 Ultravids for to get one. For that money I'd rather keep my eyes out on ebay for a nice 7x42 Zeiss Classic and keep the excellent but slightly obsolete BRs.

If those dastardly Chinese would build a Zen Ray 7x42, or better yet 7x35, my problem would be solved. Or if there was someone out there with a mint 7x42 Zeiss FLT or Ultravid, who wanted to trade for my mint 8x42 BR, that would work to.

John

Hi John, I have been reading the thread regarding your quandry over which size binocular to use and your quest for a 7x42. Well as it happens I have a pair of zeiss 7x42 flt that are in a1 condition, with box ,certs, case and straps. They are not very old and have the toulec coating ,they are the brightest sharpest binoculars I have ever used.
However they just dont suit me (cant explain why )and I was thinking of swopping them for some ultravid 8x42s which need to be in a similar A1 condition, preferably with a case etc. My previous binoculars were 8x32ba which I loved and like many on this forum now regret selling. If you wish to contact me my e mail [email protected]
I notice the thred is a couple of months old now so maybe you have got sorted out by now. Best Wishes.

Hi John, I have been reading the thread regarding your quandry over which size binocular to use and your quest for a 7x42. Well as it happens I have a pair of zeiss 7x42 flt that are in a1 condition, with box ,certs, case and straps. They are not very old and have the toulec coating ,they are the brightest sharpest binoculars I have ever used.
However they just dont suit me (cant explain why )and I was thinking of swopping them for some ultravid 8x42s which need to be in a similar A1 condition, preferably with a case etc. My previous binoculars were 8x32ba which I loved and like many on this forum now regret selling. If you wish to contact me my e mail [email protected]
I notice the thred is a couple of months old now so maybe you have got sorted out by now. Best Wishes.

PM sent, I might take you up on that offer, should be a win-win for both of us.

John

John,

If you guys go through with it then I look forward to hearing your Zeiss 7x42 FL comments.

;)

Hi Frank,

I sent you an email through the birdforum network. Mike and I are talking about trading, but both of us are a little aprehensive about sending our expensive bins across the pond on a leap of faith.

John

Hi Frank,

I sent you an email through the birdforum network. Mike and I are talking about trading, but both of us are a little aprehensive about sending our expensive bins across the pond on a leap of faith.

John

A follow up in case anyone was waiting in suspence to see if we traded our bins and wanted to hear reviews. Mike and I went back and forth with pictures of our respective bins, lots of dialog to the point where I think we both felt comfortable that neither of us were scamming and both of us were stand up guys, but in the end the logistics were just too much to pull the trigger on the trade.

Shipping from NW Montana to England was fairly expensive and we both stated that if after receiving the bins either of us wanted to trade back, we would do that without question, so shipping both ways would be just money thrown away. So the risks of damaged or lost bins, the bins not living up to one or both of our expectations outweighed the slight gain. I also hated giving up on the lifetime no-fault Leica Passport warranty that came with my Ultravids. If we lived within driving distance it would have been a fun trade.

I also took my Ultravids down to a local shop and compared them for about an hour to a pair of Zeiss 8x42 FLTs, neither the shop owner or I could pick one over the other, though they were different views.

John

Now that I own both 8x32 Nikon SEs and Trinovid BNs, I feel my fantastic 8x42 Ultravid BR is redundant. After running into a woman at a birdwatching refuge with a 7x42 Zeiss Classic who let me try it I am hooked on that large, easy picture. I see some very good demo deals on various bins including Leica 7x42 BRs and HDs, also Zeiss FLTs and Swaro 7x42 SLCs. I think I'm going to put my 8x42 on consignment and try a 7x42 Ultravid HD or maybe the Zeiss. The SLC is too heavy for my liking. Does anybody have any experience with either of these two bins? Also now that it's been out over a year, do you see an improvement with the HD over the BR?

Thanks,
John

John - I own both the 7 x 42 Zeiss Classic (fantastic, never part with binocular) and an earlier acquired Leica 7 x 42 BA. From time to time in the past, my wife would fuss that the two binoculars were redundant and that one had to go. As a consequence, I attempted on several occasions to sell the Leica with zero success and minimal interest (listing price on both eBay and Astromart was $650). I am glad to see that 7x glasses appear to be gaining in popularity, but for a time the appeal of the 7 x 42 configuration was pretty bleak. The good news for me is that I still have and plan to hang onto the Leica, find its view easier than the Zeiss (probably because of the miserable Zeiss fold down rubber eyecups) and think it the sturdier (and, certainly, the more waterproof) of the two binoculars. Taking the plunge for a 7x glass, however, may still be a brave thing to do if you ever decide to sell what you buy. Just a thought.

Last edited:
A follow up in case anyone was waiting in suspence to see if we traded our bins and wanted to hear reviews. Mike and I went back and forth with pictures of our respective bins, lots of dialog to the point where I think we both felt comfortable that neither of us were scamming and both of us were stand up guys, but in the end the logistics were just too much to pull the trigger on the trade.

Shipping from NW Montana to England was fairly expensive and we both stated that if after receiving the bins either of us wanted to trade back, we would do that without question, so shipping both ways would be just money thrown away. So the risks of damaged or lost bins, the bins not living up to one or both of our expectations outweighed the slight gain. I also hated giving up on the lifetime no-fault Leica Passport warranty that came with my Ultravids. If we lived within driving distance it would have been a fun trade.

I also took my Ultravids down to a local shop and compared them for about an hour to a pair of Zeiss 8x42 FLTs, neither the shop owner or I could pick one over the other, though they were different views.

John

Hi John,

Just thought I would update you on the Fls I wanted to trade. I have sold them on and have replaced them with some 8x32SEs. I like them very much but cannot decide whether to keep them or go back to Leica in either 8x32 or 8x42 size. I am going on holiday to the southcoast soon so will try out the SEs properly. I am envious of your cherry 8x42s it may be what I will end up with, there is something about the Leica view that appeals to me over all other binoculars, I think maybe I should just give in and handover the money.
(I used to be indecisive...but now Im not so sure )

John,

The below excerpt from your statement in the other fairly current thread intrigues me:

I was recently able to compare a pair of 7x42 Ultravid BRs to my 8x42 BRs for two weeks. I was really surprised how close they were. I think you could have tricked me into believing I was looking through the sevens when it was really the eights, or visa versa, it was that close.

So, did this comparison lean you away from seeking to replace your 8x with the 7x? Or to go some other route (Zeiss perhaps)? And why?

Thanks much, APS

John,

The below excerpt from your statement in the other fairly current thread intrigues me:

I was recently able to compare a pair of 7x42 Ultravid BRs to my 8x42 BRs for two weeks. I was really surprised how close they were. I think you could have tricked me into believing I was looking through the sevens when it was really the eights, or visa versa, it was that close.

So, did this comparison lean you away from seeking to replace your 8x with the 7x? Or to go some other route (Zeiss perhaps)? And why?

Thanks much, APS

APS, A little of both I think. Those of us that post on this site are so "into" the tiny differences between various optics that I think we loose sight (no pun intended) of the fact that these are all at the very top of the pyramid of optical quality. I used to own 7x35 leitz Trinovids and have fond, if hazy memories of them, so I was very intrigued by all of the rave reviews and comments regarding various alpha 7x42s.

I had an opportunity from meeting a guy on another site who was willing to send me his brand new 7x42 Ultravid BRs to compare to my 8x42s BRs. After all of the comments I was expect a greater difference, it really wasn't there to me. Both had that certain Lieca quality to the view that I and so many others like. Other than that if you looked carefully you could see the larger FOV of the 7s, but it didn't jump out at me. The larger EP should have made for an easier view but I didn't notice it, I imagine they hold on longer into twilight, but my 8x42s are fine in that regard. Like I said at the time, if I was starting from scratch I would probably pick the 7x42s to compliment my 8x32SEs and 10x42 SEs, but I'm just being anal here.

My temptation with Zeiss started when I borrowed a 7x42 Classic at a bird site last winter, it was only for a few minutes but the view through them was much different and more relaxing than my 8x42 BRs, so after trying the 7x42 BRs I believe there is greater difference between Zeiss and Leica than there is between seven and eight power perse. I hate to admit I'm one of those irrational guys who is put off by the plastic-y feel of the new Zeiss, and I really do like the relative compactness of my Leicas.

Nostro, I'm sure you are going to enjoy your 8x32s, I sure do.

John

Thanks much John. That's the sensible insight I needed.

I must say though that I still need help to get over the decision hump. In addition to my wife's Nikon EII 8x30, I have a Leica 8x32 BN at the moment which serves me decently well. I would be willing to add some bulk to get a comparable view with less work required (perfect alignment, etc.) I'm being quite picky though. But, like you, I've been persuaded by the 7x42 reviews here, and now crave that promised easy view. I've generally ruled out the Z..FLs due to smallish sweet spots. The Swaro SLC 7x42 is probably the ultimate easy view I want based on reviews, etc, but I think just too heavy/bulky (??).

Still contemplating Leica 8x42 and 7x42, APS

APS,
Are your wife's EIIs as finicky to line up as your 8x32BN? I ask because I loved everything about the 8x32BN so much I bought them, but for my eyes, they and all of the Leica 8x32s, BRs, HDs, even to a lesser extent my wonderful 8x42 BRs are sort of tricky in that regard. Then I bought my 8x32SEs and there was that wonderful easy view without having to hold my head just so. I know this is a problem unique to me and others with eyes-face like mine, as you rarely hear people complaining about Leica, yet you hear of lots of blackout issues with SEs.

I got a killer deal on my BNs and wasn't able to afford the Swaro 8x32EL, but for my eyes, (no glasses btw), those ELs were just as easy as the SEs, I still like the overall view through the SEs though.

Good luck,
John

APS,
Are your wife's EIIs as finicky to line up as your 8x32BN? I ask because I loved everything about the 8x32BN so much I bought them, but for my eyes, they and all of the Leica 8x32s, BRs, HDs, even to a lesser extent my wonderful 8x42 BRs are sort of tricky in that regard. Then I bought my 8x32SEs and there was that wonderful easy view without having to hold my head just so. I know this is a problem unique to me and others with eyes-face like mine, as you rarely hear people complaining about Leica, yet you hear of lots of blackout issues with SEs.

I got a killer deal on my BNs and wasn't able to afford the Swaro 8x32EL, but for my eyes, (no glasses btw), those ELs were just as easy as the SEs, I still like the overall view through the SEs though.

Good luck,
John

John,
The EIIs are easy. The view is excellent. They are a bit more trouble looking up high (due to short ER). Also, I commonly have to adjust due to bridge flexure. The Leica BN view is different, but also excellent. In the field, day in day out, I like them both just about equally well. That is saying alot, as no other bin has held that position relative to the mighty EII. And that happens to include the Swaro EL 8x32. At one time, having looked through them repeatedly in stores, I considered it to be the ultimate; I longed for a pair, but (like you) couldn't justify the $$. I finally stumbled onto a great deal (via fellow BF member) and got a pair. I just knew the search was over. Well, I spent a little time in the field carrying BOTH pair (EL and EII). I enjoyed the EL, but when I pulled the EII up for comparison, I just couldn't be satisfied birding with EL while EII sat on shelf. The EL actually made my eyes a bit tired, which has not been the case with the beloved EII (or now with the Leica BN). I returned the 8x32 EL and haven't questioned it, confident I saw more, and better with EII.

So, why look further?? Why not be satisfied with BNs? Well, the BNs are just noticeably finicky, and in a way that one would expect to be able to improve on with larger EP, etc - thus, the interest in the 8x/7x42BR. But, I have noticed a sort of tunnel vision when looking thru Leicas in stores. However, I have never held the 7x42, and based on the reviews, wonder if the same effect is present with them (Is it?? Or, is it very noticeably less??).

All that said, the EIIs and apparently the SEs also are just hard to beat. I may have to put the SE back on the list. But, although it's rarely mentioned here, I suspect the bridge-flex might be an issue (is it?). I also think the EII + SE might be a bit redundant. (Maybe the SE in 10x, but for the $$ involved, I really want to wind up with the "every day go to" bins - which 10x wouldn't do for me.) Oh well...

Finally, time in the field really tells the story; it is the reason I seem to be gradually becoming a Leica fan. So, John - is the finickiness of the 7x42BR objectionable like it is on the 8x32BN? And, "if you could have only one" ...

Thanks again, APS

No the 7x42 BR was way easier than the 8x32BN for me. If I could only own one, it would probably be the 8x42 as an all purpose bin, on the other hand... It is a hard choice with no wrong answer.
John

I am enjoying you guys' discussion.

Just a warning here from a guy with very limited experience at the daytime viewing game. If you are really glass-gonzo, then avoid the 8x42.

It is quicker at the eye than 8x32, shows noticeably more detail than 7x42, is bright enough in low light for any normal person, is big and heavy enough to grab well and hold well but remains comfortable to deal with over a long day. The 8x42 is, depending on your point of view, ideally compromised, or agonizingly compromised. It sits right in the middle, and does everything so well, and you never have to decide which one to take out. You may well find it difficult to rationalize another purchase. Then, like me, you will sit like a wallflower on the sidelines while others debate the advantages of this and that spec, and vaguely long to be in on the "action".
Ron

Well, I'm pretty sold on 8x42 myself. The Leica version is nicely compact, and in the HD is likely a winner. I wear glasses and don't black out with them. That's probably what I'm saving for. Compromise? or just right.... I've tried many formats--but not 8.5!!!

I'm starting to think there might be a slight mismatch between my eyes and Leica optics which makes them a bid finicky to avoid the "grey-out" issue.
This problem is so slight to be barely noticeable while testing in a store. I think I'm going start another thread asking the experts about black-outs, causes and degrees.

John

I almost bought the Ultravid 10x42's but I was having a similar problem although my issue wasn't close focus blackouts which is what I assume you were talking about. It turned out that what was happening with me was that the eyecups weren't long enough and my eyelash was interfering and causing me all sorts of problems. I really loved the fit and feel of those bins but this problem was insurmountable to me and I switched it out for a Zeiss FL.

Last edited:
I am enjoying you guys' discussion.

Just a warning here from a guy with very limited experience at the daytime viewing game. If you are really glass-gonzo, then avoid the 8x42.

It is quicker at the eye than 8x32, shows noticeably more detail than 7x42, is bright enough in low light for any normal person, is big and heavy enough to grab well and hold well but remains comfortable to deal with over a long day. The 8x42 is, depending on your point of view, ideally compromised, or agonizingly compromised. It sits right in the middle, and does everything so well, and you never have to decide which one to take out. You may well find it difficult to rationalize another purchase. Then, like me, you will sit like a wallflower on the sidelines while others debate the advantages of this and that spec, and vaguely long to be in on the "action".
Ron

Hummm...

Must say that's quite a good arguement. Been giving it some thought.

But still I sit here, agonizing over those compromises, desiring a better view. Knowing it should be possible (and available). The 8x42BR might just fit, but doesn't have that cult-like following one would expect if indeed it is the best balance. And when the great classic bins are talked about, particular 8x42s don't seem to get the same attention as the 7x42s or even the 8x32s - makes no sense.:C

Sometimes I want more power. Sometimes I need compactness. But, most of the time, I just want to relax and enjoy the view more. I'd probably really like the Zeiss ClassiC 7x42s. But it hasn't made itself available. I think I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on 7x42BR and get it out of my system. Still eyeing the SEs too. Will post results if I go though with it.

Thanks everyone for the input, and good luck with your own searches, etc.

APS

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back