• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 SE? (1 Viewer)

Yippeekiay

Now that I've eaten Ramen noodles for a few months and saved enough for a pair of 8x32's, would anyone happen to know where I could get a line on a pair?!?!?!

I get an error when I hit the first link Steve.

I take it that the business that usually sells the SEs through Amazon.com is Adorama?

I get an error when I hit the first link Steve.

I take it that the business that usually sells the SEs through Amazon.com is Adorama?

The first link is Anacortes Wild Bird and Telescope, Anacortes, WA. I stopped in there last year. I doubt if they have any in stock.
Bob

Now that I've eaten Ramen noodles for a few months and saved enough for a pair of 8x32's, would anyone happen to know where I could get a line on a pair?!?!?!

B&H has them for $499 although they are listed as special order only. Ebay is certainly another option.

My last two purchases of out of production Nikon binoculars (EII 8x & 10x) came from local independent camera shops. You might spend an hour calling around.

I've been also looking at SE's the last couple days (all thank to Frank for selling me the Leupold Cascades porro, now I got the bug to have a look through the most hailed porro). I emailed BH asking if they have a more definite delivery date on the 8x32 and 10x42 (it's listed as a 6-10 week special order on BH), and they replied "Sorry, Nikon has no delivery dates on this model." I would assume that Adorama wouldn't have any better luck obtaining a new pair than BH either. Anyone, please also drop me a line if you have a lead on SE's in decent condition.

Yippeekiay, I wonder if there are other people looking for SE's on BF, and if we should coordinate our effort on ebay if that's the way to go, so we don't bid against each other. But I don't know how often they appear on ebay and classified websites and if people are willing to wait. :smoke:

I link I put up I had put the binocular in to buy and it didn't say nothing about not being in stock. Price is almost $200 more than the others. I am at work so can not fix the link.
Frank maybe you should of waited to sell your 8SE.;) All joking aside thanks a lot.:t:

Steve

I watch eBay regularly and the SE 8x32 is probably offered by USA sellers less than once every three months--about the same frequency as the Zeiss ClassiC 7x42. The last one was incompletely described and sold about a month ago for around $400. It was a great buy at that price, though as I recall it lacked caps and rainguard, and possibly the case. The seller only indicated in the listing that it was a Nikon 8x32 7.5 degrees, which of course is all that is indicated on the bin. Even with that description and a single inadequate photo, quite a few people found the listing.

Your welcome...both of you. Now find me someone that needs a 7x42 FL. I went in a different direction this time.

;)

Thanks for the replies thus far.
I called a few local places today. No Luck! Then I got to thinking about the 10x's that B&H has as used. So I called and asked about them. The lenses are "Perfect" and they say a 10 rating would indicate new. Plus a 15 day return period. I already have a good set of 7 and 8x's (Fujinon and Zen-ray respectively). At first just wanted something besides a 3lb weight (Fuji's) for biking but the more I think about it the less decisive I become. 10x...8x...what about 12x??? My Fiance' already has her eyes permanently in the rolled position.
Still in process...

! Then I got to thinking about the 10x's that B&H has as used. So I called and asked about them. .

Hello Yippeekiay,

I bought a factory refurbished Leica 8x20 from them, years, ago, a purchase which has been carefree.

Try cameraland in New York, as well. They seemed to have had a line on Nikon refurbished binoculars, a few years, ago.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

I called a few local places today. No Luck! Then I got to thinking about the 10x's that B&H has as used. So I called and asked about them. The lenses are "Perfect" and they say a 10 rating would indicate new. Plus a 15 day return period. I already have a good set of 7 and 8x's (Fujinon and Zen-ray respectively). At first just wanted something besides a 3lb weight (Fuji's) for biking but the more I think about it the less decisive I become. 10x...8x...what about 12x??? My Fiance' already has her eyes permanently in the rolled position.
Still in process...

Lol. My advice would be: no matter what you decide, get the thing you want before you get married. After the wedding, whatever money you save will be hers to spend. I'll be on a strict Ramen diet for the next couple month to get the dining room set that "we" want. ;)

If you want the 10's, call Doug at Cameraland NY. I saw them on his site for an excellent price. If you can hold 10's steady and like the SE's generally, then give him a call. I found the 10's very easy to hold and the view is exceptional. At the price on his site, well, it is hard--maybe impossible--to beat. I just bought a pair of Leica HD's from him and they offer great service and good prices on demos/preowned. As to buying before you get married, well, I couldn't agree more...:)

Still in process...

You might end up regretting a 10X unless you absolutely know that you can hold it steady. I can't and I made the mistake once. However if you want a 10X, there is a new one available on Amazon. And if you want a 12X at a great price, there is one available on SWFA's Sample List.

Still in process...

Used from B&H could be a very good option. When you say you are looking for binoculars for biking do you mean pedal power biking? If so I would think compacts would be the way to go.

I'm sure there are a pair of 8x32's out there waiting to be found at a camera store. Just get a long list of dealers from the Nikon site and start calling.

Last edited:
You Guys are too Funny! Sad part is, I know it's true.
Actually I did go w/ the 10x's from B&H. My Fiance's daughter goes with us occassionally and the 10x36 Monarch's ER just isn't conducive with her glasses (nor mine) so I just let her decide. (8 or 10x) The 17+mm ER played a big part in the decision. That's one reason I love my Fujinon's. (23mm!)
And @ less than $500 I had to go with them.
Can't wait til this weekend!!
Thanks for the advice AND the offers!

You Guys are too Funny! Sad part is, I know it's true.
Actually I did go w/ the 10x's from B&H. My Fiance's daughter goes with us occassionally and the 10x36 Monarch's ER just isn't conducive with her glasses (nor mine) so I just let her decide. (8 or 10x) The 17+mm ER played a big part in the decision. That's one reason I love my Fujinon's. (23mm!)
And @ less than $500 I had to go with them.
Can't wait til this weekend!!
Thanks for the advice AND the offers!

Good job! Let us know how you like them. B :)

Be careful with SE's.

I've logged countless hours on my 8X32 SE and I love it. The 10X42 SE might share the same housing, prism, etc. but it's a different binocular. It's longer, less stable with a rather narrow field of view. Compared side by side, the differences between the 8X32 and 10X42 are apparent.

I'm quite certain the 8X32, 10X42 and 12X50 SE's share identical housings, prisms, and eyepieces. Objectives and focal lengths obviously differ, but I believe everything else is a match. I was very tempted to buy the 10X42 SE but I just couldn't get comfortable with the magnification or field of view. Still, the 10X42 and 12X50 SE's are superb optically and I'm sure there are many satisfied users.

Henry can correct me on this but I think the 8X32 SE is the best of the SE line. It appears as if the stubby 32mm objective was attached to the prism housing as an afterthought. I'll bet Nikon designed the prism for the 10X (which came first) and then simply added shorter and longer tubes for the 8X and 12X models. My eyes tell me the winner of this design is the 8X32. After more than 1000 hours of use (it could be close to 2000 by now) I am heavily biased toward the 8X32 SE, in spite of all its faults.

The point is all SE's are not equal. Caveat Emptor!

John

Eventually I'll likely end up with a pair of 8x32's also. But like I said, I've got a decent pair of 7 and 8x's already so the logical progression dictated 10x's. From what I've read the almost overwhelming opinion is the 8x32's are better "generally speaking". I personally like to watch raptors and other open area avians where distance is a factor so again, the 10x made more sense right now.
Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back