• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics to stop carrying Nikon ? (1 Viewer)

opticoholic

I was just on the phone with Eagle Optics, asking about replacement objective covers for my Nikon EDG II (haven't been able to make the rubber band solution work). Anyway, I expressed mild frustration over having to mess around with it and then I was very surprised when the sales rep told me that after existing Nikon stock is sold, they will no longer carry Nikon! We were talking about binoculars, but maybe scopes too. I don't think I misunderstood him. When I asked why, he said the official statement was that Nikon "no longer fits our business model." I did not ask him to elaborate. Hard to believe, but assuming it's true I figured you all would be interested.

--Dave

Last edited:
Seriously now! Selling all those Monarchs doesn't fit their business model?

But they are selling a bunch of them at Sale Prices right now.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/nikon

In fact, in their "Hot Deals" section there are 49 binoculars listed on sale including 8x56 and 10x56 Zeiss Victory's, 7x42 and 7x50 Meopta's Meostars, Minox HGLs, Nikon EDGs and others.

It looks like a big inventory clearance sale.

Bob

Last edited:
I know a couple of people who have stores/dealerships who are fond of Nikon products, but even after years of carrying the various Nikon brands, they now refuse to do business with Nikon and carry other optics and cameras. They say the same thing...they are just too hard to deal with to make it worthwhile. Maybe EO has come to the same crossroads, who knows?

I was just on the phone with Eagle Optics, asking about replacement objective covers for my Nikon EDG II (haven't been able to make the rubber band solution work). Anyway, I expressed mild frustration over having to mess around with it and then I was very surprised when the sales rep told me that after existing Nikon stock is sold, they will no longer carry Nikon! We were talking about binoculars, but maybe scopes too. I don't think I misunderstood him. When I asked why, he said the official statement was that Nikon "no longer fits our business model." I did not ask him to elaborate. Hard to believe, but assuming it's true I figured you all would be interested.

--Dave
I just got a pair of Swarovski 8x32 EL's demo's and the Objective Covers were pretty loose fitting so I e-mailed Swarovski and they UPS 2nd day me a pair for no charge. The day after I e-mailed them! For NO CHARGE! NO CHARGE! I must admit I like Swarovski's customer service. They are the best!

--Dave
Dave,

Did you contact Nikon about the objective cover?

When I lost a horned eye cup for my Nikon 10 x 32 EDG I, I phoned Nikon and followed up with an e-mail and they sent me 2 new ones for no charge. But that was in the late 2010 as I recall. It was no problem at all. Replacing an objective cover should have been easier.

Bob

Last edited:
I'm intrigued. Nikon "too hard to deal with"? What does that mean? Dealers' profit margins too low in comparison with other leading makes? Slow stock replenishment? Confusing lines or model specifications? Poor customer after-sales service? I'd expect Nikon, as one of the best optics manufacturers in the world, to have retailers anxiously competing to be on the Nikon approved list, surely? Why would they "now refuse to do business with Nikon"?
Kindly elucidate...
P.S. I'm a Nikon fan and have lots of their stuff, which is all first-class, in my experience.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued. Nikon "too hard to deal with"? What does that mean? Dealers' profit margins too low in comparison with other leading makes? Slow stock replenishment? Confusing lines or model specifications? Poor customer after-sales service? I'd expect Nikon, as one of the best optics manufacturers in the world, to have retailers anxiously competing to be on the Nikon approved list, surely? Why would they "now refuse to do business with Nikon"?
Kindly elucidate...
P.S. I'm a Nikon fan and have lots of their stuff, which is all first-class, in my experience.

It may be useful to read this 'Dear Santa' letter from the Lens Rentals web site.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/12/dear-santa
The Nikon section is quite enlightening.

Dave,

Did you contact Nikon about the objective cover?

When I lost a horned eye cup for my Nikon 10 x 32 EDG I, I phoned Nikon and followed up with an e-mail and they sent me 2 new ones for no charge. But that was in the late 2010 as I recall. It was no problem at all. Replacing an objective cover should have been easier.

Bob

Bob,
I should have been more clear: I didn't lose an objective cover; the ones that came with the bins are just too loose and constantly flip off. It's a well-known issue. Not a big deal. I'll have more to say about it someday when I report on how I like the EDG binoculars.

I'm just really surprised and a little disappointed that Eagle Optics will no longer sell Nikon. Really makes me wonder...

--Dave

Mike Freiberg responded earlier today to "Beginner" in the thread above in this Nikon Forum.

Maybe he will have a comment on this issue in this one?

Bob

Price comparison Sweden – US concerning Nikon EDG 8x32

Eagle optics :
List price: 3121 USD (approx.21800SEK...4000 USD/28 000 SEK with tax, S&H to Sweden)
Sale: 1900 USD (appr. 13300SEK...2475 USD/17325 SEK with tax, S&H to Sweden)
Warranty: Nikon provides a 25-Year Limited Warranty, plus a No-Fault Repair or Replacement Policy.
Remark: It is not allowed for us to buy from Eagle Optics, but listed cost like if it was allowed.

Cheapest place here in Sweden excl. S&H : 13887 SEK /1983 USD (maybe 150-200 SEK additional for S&H (http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=665463)
Warranty : 10 years

Anders

--Dave

TRANSLATION?: The EDG is too expensive now and not selling so we can't take up space in our warehouse with bins that won't move off the shelf.

I'd be really surprised, however, if they dropped Nikon's less expensive bins, which do sell well. If that happens, we know there's some kind of dispute.

Anyway, the rumor mill is turning....

<B>

TRANSLATION?: The EDG is too expensive now and not selling so we can't take up space in our warehouse with bins that won't move off the shelf.

I'd be really surprised, however, if they dropped Nikon's less expensive bins, which do sell well. If that happens, we know there's some kind of dispute.

Anyway, the rumor mill is turning....

<B>

How many EDGs were they required to buy for their inventory? I remember that they were out of some versions of them on occasion.

Bob

Nikon Sport Optics in the USA.....a totally clueless entity, especially customer service. They need to stick to selling cameras. They cannot tell you the mfg date of their products, even when given the serial #.

Nikon Sport Optics in the USA.....a totally clueless entity, especially customer service. They need to stick to selling cameras. They cannot tell you the mfg date of their products, even when given the serial #.

Which is why I started keeping track of Nikon serial #s! I'm pretty sure about when 500-503xxx 8x32 SEs were made, after that I'm less sure, but still have some information because old inventory started mixing with new ones at stores where the SEs weren't selling like hotcakes. I'm also pretty sure they switched over to the 550xxx Eco-Glass model in 2006-2007 since that was when the term "Eco-Glass" appeared in SE ads and when these models went on sale since I tracked them from pix on eBay.

I also thought I had a bead on EII's since I've had five of them myself and have also started keeping track on eBay, either finding the serial #s on the photos or asking the sellers. But then they disappeared from sight, and one owner said he bought his black body model, which I had assumed were later models, in 2002, just three years after the EIIs were introduced. So that's befuddling. In any case, the coatings on my black body EII seem to be slightly better than my gray body, and the rubber armoring is much more robust.

I know when Nikon went from the HG to the HGL but not sure about the Premiers since Nikon retained the HGL label in Europe. However, seeing how the coatings have improved in Nikon SEs over the years (I've owned five samples over the years, and I've tried three more), the Premiers will likely have the latest coatings and glass. However, I liked the optics in my old HG better than the HGL I bought, so I wouldn't necessary call that version "better". They still don't have dielectric coatings even though the lowly Monarch III (5) does.

Nikon customer service might not be able to tell you, because that information is not in their "knowledge data base," but I bet somewhere there's a list of serial numbers and corresponding manufacturing dates. If you get a batch error, you need to track it down. The Japanese created QCM (with some help from e.w. deming) so I doubt if they wouldn't know when their bins or scopes were produced. However, they don't what YOU to know.

Despite these shortcomings, I'm still a Nikon fan because the SEs and EIIs offer a great "bang for the buck" in sports optics. The Prostar and Astroluxe series are also highly regarded, and even the lowly Monarch outsells all other bins, so there must be something to them besides their affordability since there are alternatives at the same price point by other manufacturers.

And finally, because of their No Fault policy on second-hand Nikon bins. $10 + return shipping is a great warranty (in the US). Even Leica doesn't offer that.

<B>

Last edited:

--Dave

Dave:

That is interesting news, but there may be some things behind the decision
for them to drop any maker.

I did a check on their site, and they sell 25 different binocular models under the
Eagle Optics brand, and also 37 Vortex binocular models.

As an internet seller, many of these compare to the host of models sold
by Nikon or whoever.

One way to look at it is, if Eagle Optics is going to sell EO binoculars, as
the only or main source, I suppose they need to put in the effort.

Also, EO owns Vortex, or has a common bond, so they have 2 in house
brands they need to push.

Jerry

I walked into a store that sells to birders from all over the world and asked about the Nikon EDG. Here's exactly what I was told.

"It's a great binocular, birders love the view, most think it's as good as the Swarovski line, but they all end buying the new Swarovisions. The Nikon's are priced pretty much the same as the Swaros so they just figure they'll buy a Swarovski and be done with it. Don't sell that many of them but we did wait for the diopter problem to be fixed on the one you're holding before we put it in stock."

I walked into a store that sells to birders from all over the world and asked about the Nikon EDG. Here's exactly what I was told.

"It's a great binocular, birders love the view, most think it's as good as the Swarovski line, but they all end buying the new Swarovisions. The Nikon's are priced pretty much the same as the Swaros so they just figure they'll buy a Swarovski and be done with it. Don't sell that many of them but we did wait for the diopter problem to be fixed on the one you're holding before we put it in stock."

I think because of the resale value of Swarovski and better warranty overall worldwide.

If the price of EDG is less than others, this might change the market itself. In Malaysia, EDG binoculars are selling around RM 8000++ (USD 2500 roughly) but the warranty is 1 year.

If Nikon standardized their warranty value and after sale service for the whole world and make it less price, they can get the most profit because so far I know only Nikon has different type of binoculars to suits different markets and users.

But we don't know if this will happen in the future ...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back