• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (1 Viewer)

16th Feb - Burton Mere Wetlands
53. Little Grebe
54. Little Egret

17th Feb - Chester
55. Feral Pigeon

20th Feb. - Conwy RSPB
56. Red-breasted Merganser (tick)
57. Goldeneye (tick)
58. Grey Heron
59. Lesser Black-backed Gull
60. Curlew
Bodelwyddan Castle
61. Pheasant
62. Marsh Tit (tick)
63. Goldcrest (tick)
64. Rook

Going great guns!

Another great day today at the Parkgate high tide...
65. Reed Bunting (tick)
66. Mediterranean Gull
67. Great White Egret (tick)
68. Short-eared Owl (tick)
69. Skylark (tick)
... followed by a detour by Raby Mere for
70. Mandarin (tick)
on the way home.

Also Bank Vole, Harvest Mouse & Common Shrew at Parkgate as the tide peaked.

51. Mourning Dove, in our yard below bird feeders.

Thirteen (13) species so far for the "yard count" today.

* Still waiting for the Carolina Wren and Black-capped Chickadee to show up!

Great Sunday birding the LA river and county locations north netted a good handful for the year, including a couple new state birds.

206. Cinnamon Teal
207. American Avocet
208. Blue-winged Teal
209. Herring Gull
210. Spotted Sandpiper
211. Yellow-chevroned Parakeet
212. Cliff Swallow
213. Redhead
214. Yellow Warbler
215. Red-necked Grebe (CA)
216. Thayer's Gull
217. Violet-green Swallow
218. Pine Siskin (CA)

Last edited:
A failed attempt yesterday to see the Two-barred Crossbills that have been around Uppsala. I did get one bonus tick though while searching.

134. Parrot Crossbill

Dipped on would-be lifer Zone-tailed Hawk, but picked up my overdue first California Quail of the year this morning at the top of the hill at the end of Peachwood Lane in Lake Forest, Orange County. On the way out, also saw Peregrine Falcon flying overhead; together, the quail and falcon brought me up to 166 species for 2015.

Dipped on would-be lifer Zone-tailed Hawk, but picked up my overdue first California Quail of the year this morning at the top of the hill at the end of Peachwood Lane in Lake Forest, Orange County. On the way out, also saw Peregrine Falcon flying overhead; together, the quail and falcon brought me up to 166 species for 2015.

Got my first quail yesterday, too! Franklin Canyon, followed by a beach stop.

219. California Quail
220. Black Oystercatcher
221. Ruddy Turnstone

Sunday LA Big Day with some friends - of course we plan out an elaborate full day route only to be thwarted by weather. We ended up with 122 species on the day, aiming for 150.

222. Semipalmated Plover
223. Caspian Tern
224. Common Gallinule
225. Greater White-fronted Goose
226. Hutton's Vireo
227. Black-and-white Warbler
228. Sora

EDIT: Correction: 127 species for the group! 125 for me.

Last edited:
Subsequent to my bypass surgery, hospital stay and being restricted to our home, I have finally been given permission to drive a vehicle (provided my wife goes along with me). I drove around my local patch which is the oxbow lakes area south of Saint Joseph, Missouri. I was able to add the following birds to my 2015 Missouri Birds Year List.
53. Ring-necked Pheasant
54. Cackling Goose
55. Northern Pintail
56. Ring-necked Duck
57. Common Merganser
Not too many new birds, but at least I was able to get out and look!

Subsequent to my bypass surgery, hospital stay and being restricted to our home, I have finally been given permission to drive a vehicle (provided my wife goes along with me). I drove around my local patch which is the oxbow lakes area south of Saint Joseph, Missouri. I was able to add the following birds to my 2015 Missouri Birds Year List.
53. Ring-necked Pheasant
54. Cackling Goose
55. Northern Pintail
56. Ring-necked Duck
57. Common Merganser
Not too many new birds, but at least I was able to get out and look!

Wishing you a safe and full recovery, Larry! Breaking 50 species under such conditions is nothing short of incredible - you rock!

Retroactively adding a year bird - when I was in Lugano, Switzerland last month, I was birding under the impression that the Italian Sparrows I saw were still to be considered under the species umbrella of House Sparrow. But seeing that the BOU (as recently as December 2014), the IOC, and Taxonomy in Flux all recognize it as a full species from 2011 papers, I see no reason to shackle myself to outdated perspectives.

229. Italian Sparrow

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back