• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (2 Viewers)

101, with number 100 for the year being a redwing that was hiding in a flock of fieldfares. No joy at all with the corn buntings I was hoping to find.

I'm quite a way behind where I was this time last year, but this year I'm supposed to be targeting lifers rather than year ticks.

Yesterday, I birded at Castaic Lagoon and then Quail and Holiday Lakes in the Antelope Valley with some friends, picking up 10 birds for my 2015 list in the process (now up to 178 species). Unfortunately, we did not see the locally rare, staked-out American Tree Sparrow, which would've been a lifer for me, at Castaic, despite 4 hours of waiting.

Anyway, the new additions to my 2015 list (in taxonomic order):
1. Canvasback
2. Redhead
3. Red-necked Grebe
4. Sharp-shinned Hawk
5. Swainson's Hawk
6. Eurasian Collared-Dove
7. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
8. Chipping Sparrow
9. Lark Sparrow
10. Lawrence's Goldfinch

Spent this morning and early part of this afternoon testing the ROV's over a reef off Okinawa so I managed some pelagic species as well as "land stuff"

474 Japanese Quail
475 Black-footed Albatross
476 Streaked Shearwater
477 Black-faced Spoonbill
478 Black-crowned Night Heron
479 Brown Booby
480 Little Ringed Plover
481 Eur. Wryneck ( in the garden while I was having my breakfast :t: ).
482 Brown Shrike luconensis .

15-16 March

Just returned for a three day business trip to Doha in the oil state of Qatar. Very nice weather and was able to go birding on two days, first at my hotel and then a few more spots around the city.

Many thanks to Wayne "kiwiguy" for the tips on where to bird and what to look for. Too bad we couldn't catch up this time but I enjoyed the birding nonetheless.

Was very happy to see 21 species, 14 new ones for the year, and 9 of which are lifers!

The Ritz-Carlton Doha
54. Purple Heron (New Lifer)
- Black-headed Gull
55. Pallas's Gull (New Lifer)
- Rock Pigeon
- Eurasian Collared-Dove
56. Laughing Dove
57. Red-vented Bulbul (New Lifer)
58. White-eared Bulbul (New Lifer)
59. Common Myna
- House Sparrow
60. Spanish Sparrow

Al Corniche, Doha
- Little Egret
61. Socotra Cormorant (New Lifer)
62. Western Reef-Heron (New Lifer)
63. Ruddy Turnstone (New Lifer)
64. Caspian Tern
65. European Turtle-Dove (New Lifer)
66. Eurasian Hoopoe
- Rose-ringed Parakeet
- Great Cormorant

Sheraton Doha Resort
67. Common Sandpiper (New Lifer)

World life list: 392 (Common Sandpiper, Doha, Qatar; March 2015)
Qatar life list: 21 (Common Sandpiper, Doha, Qatar; March 2015)
2015 year list: 67 (Common Sandpiper, Doha, Qatar; March 2015)

18 March, Okinawa, Japan

484 Black Wood Pigeon

I had 2 fly over the road this morning, which woke me up, as I very rarely ( as in, not even annually ) see them.

Today I chased a rare European duck that showed up in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. There are only a handful of records for the state. I found my target, which was, needless to say, a state lifer (number 240 and my second in four days).

115. Eurasian Wigeon

Dave

Last edited:
Nice find, Dave!

*I have only seen the Eurasian Wigeon once in the US. It was on April 30, 2011 at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri.

Nice find, Dave!

*I have only seen the Eurasian Wigeon once in the US. It was on April 30, 2011 at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri.

Hi Larry

A visit to the United Kingdom, and there is no shorage of European Widgeon where we live.

Along the Norfolk coast and many other reserves the Widgeon remain a stronghold in the area.

What are the differences between the European Widgeon, and the Eurasian Widgeon? Is it where they live?

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Eurasian Wigeon = European Wigeon (same species)

Lots of "European" Wigeons in Europe and lots of American Wigeons in America.

Thank you for your answer. :gh::t:

I will send some of our Widgeon across to you LOL o:)o:)o:)

Last edited:
179. Black-chinned Hummingbird - an early migrant female that showed up at the Salvia flowers in my front yard this afternoon.

Thursday, March 19

15) Mourning Dove
16) Red-winged Blackbird
17) Common Grackle

Conditions: One day 'til spring! And almost, nearly, sort of, feels like it. Sun was out (thank you, Daylight Savings time), +1º C, sidewalks almost completely clear of ice and snow (for a change).

Last edited:
20 March

Managed to do some birding this morning in Rome before meetings at the Bank of Italy.

Villa Borghese, Rome
68. Ruddy Shelduck (New Lifer)
69. Yellow-legged Gull
70. Hooded Crow (Italy Lifer)
Eurasian Wren (Italy Lifer)
71. Blackcap (Italy Lifer)
72. European Serin (Italy Lifer)
73. Italian Sparrow

World life list: 393 (Rudy Shelduck, Rome, Italy; March 2015)
Italy life list: 26 (European Serin, Rome, Italy; March 2015)
2015 year list: 73 (Italian Sparrow, Rome, Italy; March 2015)

Another great day today at the Parkgate high tide...
65. Reed Bunting (tick)
66. Mediterranean Gull
67. Great White Egret (tick)
68. Short-eared Owl (tick)
69. Skylark (tick)
... followed by a detour by Raby Mere for
70. Mandarin (tick)
on the way home.

Also Bank Vole, Harvest Mouse & Common Shrew at Parkgate as the tide peaked.

28th Feb
71. Collared Dove in my parents' garden

Shotwick Fields, 3rd March
72. Whooper Swan
73. Bewick's Swan (tick)

Today at Erddig...
74. Wren
... and then a World's End
75. Black Grouse (tick)
76. Meadow Pipit
77. Raven (tick)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back