• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need a new scope (?) (1 Viewer)

jurek

After ca 20 years of use, my trusted Kowa TSN-1 yesterday decided to go for a retirement and left the tripod. The screw thread is worn down.
So, a couple of questions:
-Does it make sense to simply pour Superglue in the hole in the scope and glue that small detachable plate of the tripod forever?
- Is it easy to buy a new detachable plate, are they normalized?
-What repairman can possibly make a new internal screw thread in the scope? What is the name of profession? Would cost of the repair be worth it?

Otherwise I need a new scope. I must say I completely did not look for scopes on the market now. I would need something:
-Is there something like a site listing most popular and quality scopes by number of reviews? I somehow trust more big numbers than one opinion?
- Essentially all-purpose birding spotting scope, to be used from the seashore to tropical trips.
- High quality, cost is optional, but I do not go for expensive just for the sake of it.
- Not much heavier than Kowa TSN-1, eventually up to average weight of a spotting scope.
- Perfect quality of colors.
- Available on European market.

Last edited:
If I understand right the female tread in the spotter that the tripod head screws into is worn out. Will it screw in at all? If so red loctite it with JB weld between the tripod head and spotter. You won't be able to ever take the plate off the spotter, but that should hold it. Or have it drilled out larger and a right size heli-coil put in. Take it to a machine shop and see what they say. Hope this helps some!

After ca 20 years of use, my trusted Kowa TSN-1 yesterday decided to go for a retirement and left the tripod. The screw thread is worn down.
So, a couple of questions:
-Does it make sense to simply pour Superglue in the hole in the scope and glue that small detachable plate of the tripod forever?
- Is it easy to buy a new detachable plate, are they normalized?
-What repairman can possibly make a new internal screw thread in the scope? What is the name of profession? Would cost of the repair be worth it?

Otherwise I need a new scope. I must say I completely did not look for scopes on the market now. I would need something:
-Is there something like a site listing most popular and quality scopes by number of reviews? I somehow trust more big numbers than one opinion?
- Essentially all-purpose birding spotting scope, to be used from the seashore to tropical trips.
- High quality, cost is optional, but I do not go for expensive just for the sake of it.
- Not much heavier than Kowa TSN-1, eventually up to average weight of a spotting scope.
- Perfect quality of colors.
- Available on European market.

Stick with Kowa, the TSN1 has obviously served you well and you know the quality. I have a 663m and love it, but you've got the choice of the 770 and 880 scopes if you want something bigger and brighter.
I would not think that the 880 is much heavier than the TSN1 (may even be lighter) and optically is widely recognised as the King of the Hill.
If I happened to trip over £2.5K tomorrow, then that is what I would get.

Re: mooreorless

Yes, the female tread in the scope that the tripod head screws into is worn out. It holds only loosely and shakes.

If I understand your reply, you propose using Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271™ Nut and Bolt Locker
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_red/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271.htm

I so far found it is American name of a product made by Henkel company based in Germany. Any idea if there is the same product sold in Germany under the local name?

Jurek, I checked your link and yes that is what I am talking about, looks the same as what I have. The blue Locktite is better if you want to be able to take apart later, but the red is better esp. if the threads are worn. I have used both and sometimes the red you have to heat the nut, bolt etc. to get it apart. They also show Loctite expoxy weld and I have used this in the past, it is like JB Weld but you would put it between the scope and the plate. You could try the red Locktite first, but I would recommend for less worry of scope coming lose and falling or something. All this is probably the cheapest solution, you could check with a local machine shop.

My wife was using our John Deere compact tractor with the roll over protection bar up she got too close to our shed and hit the plastic flag pole holder and cracked it, I fixed this with JBWeld and it is still up there holding the flag. I just noticed that the Red LT says only removable by heating to 500°F ;)

Last edited:
Re: mooreorless
I so far found it is American name of a product made by Henkel company based in Germany. Any idea if there is the same product sold in Germany under the local name?

Hi,

Loctite is also called Loctite in Germany, so you should find it under that name in Europe too... although a quick trip to a machine shop to get a helicoil in there sounds good too. The question is if they have helicoil for imperial threads...

Regarding a very good replacement, money no object, the 883 would be my choice - it's 1,9kg with the WA zoom, so a bit heavier than your TSN-1.

Joachim, who is still content with his TSN-3 and SDLv2.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back