• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

whats the difference between the pinnacles and olympics? (1 Viewer)

exoman

Im in the market for binoculars and I went to a local outfitters and was very impressed with how much better the olympic 10x50 looked than the monarch 10 x 42's.

..but I also see the pinnacle priced a tad higher than the olympics.

My original plan was to get a pair of non reticled leupold 10 x 50 tacticals, ( which seem to be olympics) , to me it would be worth the extra $80 over a set of standard olympic 10x50s to have them in a coyote brown with the molle style bino case.

but I see these pinnacles at the same price as the leupold tactical 10 x 50 and am wondering just how much better they could be.
the olympics say they have bak4/bk7 aluminum enhanced prisms and the pinnacles say bak4 silver enhanced prism.

I have heard that bak4 > than bk7 but the olympics say they are using both, not really understanding that part either.

any input here would be appreciated

tom

Hi Tom,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

I am afraid I can't answer your question but I am sure someone will be along soon who can.

Most prisms are made up of two prism elements. I have seen it mentioned on other bins where they might use a Schmidt prism with a half pentagonal prism to get specific optical characteristics. I would guess that this is the case with what you mentioned but cannot say for sure. They are of the roof prism design ofcourse though the type of glass being used is different. Other than that the difference between aluminum and silver for coating prisms is fairly significant though only you can determine if it is worth the price difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back