• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket Camera Recommendation - if you already have a DSLR (1 Viewer)

BodyResults

Hello All,

My wife and I both shoot with a Canon 7D for wildlife and nature. It works great. However, because of the size it is usually not something you can easily always have with you. Our old Point and shoot died. We are looking for recommendations of a high quality compact camera for impromptu situations like for our kids, walking around when we don’t have the 7D, etc. No need for a super zoom since we already have 400mm lenses for the 7D.

A couple cameras that seem like decent options are
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7
Canon PowerShot SX210IS

We would use Lightroom as the software to view and edit the images so I’m thinking another Canon is not a top priority. Budget is probably up to $400.

Any thoughts on these two cameras as options or other models you would recommend to consider?

Thanks
Doug

oh yes just bought a G12 off the for sale section on BF stonking compact goes everywhere with me

I have a Canon S90, which is pretty good as ISO goes of a compact, and is small enough to fit in your pocket.

Thanks for the responses. My wife and I just checked out the G12. Looks pretty good but it's bigger than my wife would like. Some of the other samller ones don't have a viewfinder to look through.

Any recomendations of more compact cameras that have a view finder?

Thanks
Doug

Not on the viewfinder front - there aren't all that many with them anymore nowadays...you can still get the superzoom cams with viewfinders, but the quality isn't all that stunning. The rangefinder style cams are great, but way above your budget.

However, I'll just throw this out there as an idea - I just picked up one on Saturday for just this purpose - a Sony NEX3. The NEX3 and NEX5 are similar - but the NEX5 has higher video spec and an all mag-alloy body, so is more high end. The NEX3 still has excellent build with a plastic body, but is also a little smaller in a few dimensions. They've recently gone on sale at $499, still a little high - but worth some consideration.

What sold it for me was that I could still have an APS-C sensor - a very good one at that, 14MP, same as in the A5xx series, Pentax KX, and Nikon D5000. I chose the basic 18-55mm kit lens with stabilization, so essentially it's like a P&S camera with a 3x zoom...I will most likely just leave this lens on 99% of the time rather than build a great lens collection, since I still keep the DSLR for the majority of my shooting. Compared to any other compact camera, where ISo800 is a struggle, the large-sensor NEX can easily and comfortably shoot at ISO6400. It has a 920K res tilting LCD, live histogram, and with the latest firmware, user-customization with the soft-key buttons which addressed the biggest problem with the cameras initially - the poor control layout.

I've only had it two days, but tested it indoors and outdoors on Sunday, and it's a brilliant, tight little piece. Loved having it as a second body along with the DSLR, and will feel MUCH better traveling with it in place of the DSLR when I want to go light (P&S cameras are always such a compromise in image quality and low light versatility).

The Micro4:3 cameras also would have a similar functionality and image quality improvement over compacts, so are also worth a look. In the end, I liked the better low light capability of the NEX system, but there's not a big difference between them. I personally did not have a problem focusing and shooting off the LCD in bright sunlight (I too prefer viewfinders, but for a second camera, could live without it)...the screen has a sunny day mode which gains up significantly and is a very high res screen, plus the tilt ability allows you to angle it so the glare doesn't bounce back at you.

Thanks for the responses. My wife and I just checked out the G12. Looks pretty good but it's bigger than my wife would like. Some of the other samller ones don't have a viewfinder to look through.

Any recomendations of more compact cameras that have a view finder?

Thanks
Doug

Sadly an actual viewfinder is becoming very hard to find in a pocket camera. I've got a Canon Powershot 890IS and it's quite nice and has a viewfinder. 5x optical zoom will do in a pinch if you need some zoom on a chance enounter with a critter.

It's discontinued but Googling it, Amazon still has some.

I really don't know what I'll do when my 890 dies. Perhaps I should get a spare. On second thought, don't go to Amazon. 8-P

Last edited:
The best of the compact cameras that still give you control is actually the new Olympus XZ-1. It has a larger sensor then any of the other point and shoots on the market and the 1.8 lens is awesome in low light. Despite the fact that it is a new camera, all of the reviews on the internet set this camera apart from everyone else. It is normally 499.99, however for bird forum members we will do it for 479.99 or in a kit with a case, extra battery, 8 gig card and Olympus 2 year extended warranty good world wide for 529.99. Free shipping in the USA.
Contact me if I can be of any help

Joel
Camera Land
[email protected]
212-753-5128

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back