• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 300mm II & Sigma 120-300mm OS (1 Viewer)

Keith, if/when you have a couple of 1.4x tc that work OK it could well be worth trying them stacked. I know when I tested a 300/2.8 stacked with a Canon 1.4x mkII and Kenko pro 1.4x against a Canon 2x mk II there was virtually nothing in it with regards to focus speed and IQ which surprised me to be quite honest.

Stacking them has always been what I'd prefer to do, Roy - it means less outlay, and (slightly) less hassle swapping TCs in and out.

As it happens, today's trip didn't really work out - lots of SEOs about, but I couldn't get onto them, and the long-staying GG Shrike didn't show - but an obliging little Robin followed my around for a little while, usually too close to focus on.

So not much to show for the day, but the attached suggests that I'm gonna be very happy with the sharpness and the stabilisation: it's a stacked TC shot (for some reason the Kenko 1.4 isn't being seen by the camera, and having it in the loop causes some over exposure), but this is 588mm handheld (940mm counting the "crop factor"), 1600 ISO, 1/50, with a lot less sharpening than the 100-400mm used to get - I'll need to work on my sharpening regime, because everything I do as a rule seems to be too much now.

This is at f/6.3 (the camera put it there, not me), but things are as sharp at f/5.6.

I am extremely chuffed by this as a first "real world" example.

As an aside, this is converted/resized/denoised in Lr4 beta - I'm very impressed with that too. The only Photoshop contribution is my usual selective sharpening.

Oh - another thing: I was worried that the TCs might muck up the bokeh, but so far no evidence of that.

Attachments

• Lr4-1846_2.jpg
    Lr4-1846_2.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
I reckon I'd be darned happy with that level of sharpness in ideal conditions, plenty of light and no TCs in the mix, to be honest.

A good start.

The Sigma 1.4x doesn't work at all with any camera or lens I've got...
MPB Photographic have done right with me on this: I sent it back, and on the day they received it, MPB emailed me to say they accepted that it was fritzed and that they'd send a replacement - they'd promised to put aside the other used one they had in stock as soon as I let them know about the problem.

Well, although I couldn't swear to it, I think they're sent me a brand new Siggy TC - everything points to it - and this one is perfect; again just leaning out of the front door and popping away at parked cars and passing traffic, it's "bare lens" sharp, and the AF at 420mm is pretty much instantaneous.

;) ;) ;)

I'm pleased your TC is sorted out, now all I want is for you to crack on with some bird pictures, to encourage me to save even harder !

I am extremely chuffed by this as a first "real world" example.

As an aside, this is converted/resized/denoised in Lr4 beta - I'm very impressed with that too. The only Photoshop contribution is my usual selective sharpening.

Oh - another thing: I was worried that the TCs might muck up the bokeh, but so far no evidence of that.

Keith, I am so impressed with your photos!

Unfortunately, after many weeks of pondering on which lens to buy: the Canon 400/5.6 or the Canon 100-400 IS I had made my mind up and decided to go with the 400/5.6, exclusively for birding. Then I planned on saving for a year or so to buy the (newest) 70-200/2.8 IS for other photos, like the kids at the playground etc.

And now, this Sigmazoom comes into play - totally unexpected (for me at least). Oh my. You market lenses very well Keith, simply because you take astonishing photos. Now I think I am going to have to go with this one. With a converter, giving me options between 120 and 600, cropfactor excluded, it seems it will take care of most of my needs.

One more thing: Are there any nice tutorials anywhere that you know of, showing the basic procedure in photoshop (or any other software for that matter) using converison/resize/denoising/sharpening. I guess what I want to, is being able to do what ever it is that you do...

It would be very cool to see your last photo (from this thread) before you started the photoshop procedures. Just to get a feel of what is possible to accomplish in PS and Lr4beta.

Rookie - the following might give you some help:

Part of a 17 video series (should link one after the other without much trouble) which displays the photographers methods and practice. I should note that I've not often come across his approach of toning down in RAW and then doing most of the work in editing and that many work by getting things in the RAW itself right. It's one viewpoint on editing (and there are very many) however the series is broken in to neat bites and you can easily take out select parts for your own use. The added bonus is that he presents a very good working order for the processes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn8FKlslwl4

Part of a 17 video series (should link one after the other without much trouble) which displays the photographers methods and practice. I should note that I've not often come across his approach of toning down in RAW and then doing most of the work in editing and that many work by getting things in the RAW itself right. It's one viewpoint on editing (and there are very many) however the series is broken in to neat bites and you can easily take out select parts for your own use. The added bonus is that he presents a very good working order for the processes.

Thanks a million! Have to go to bed now, but will watch it 1st thing tomorrow!

I've been using this method for a year and can recommend it.

It is a lot to take in at first, but parts 1-4 are intro/set up and several other parts are not really relevant, to me at least - Parts 5, 13, 14 and 16.

That leaves just 9 parts, which can be programmed into CS5 using an action - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIvL8hB8ibY for how to do this.

I have the action linked to a hotkey (F12 in my case), so I just hit that and the routine starts up.

Sorry for hijacking the Canon 300mm II & Sigma 120-300mm OS thread guys!

Last edited:
Please please keep hijacking - I need something to distract me from this lens (it's giving me a major case of G.A.S.)

Watched the series at youtube. Thanks for telling me about this.

Definitely a lot to comprehend. Guess I need to watch it a few times... Photoshop is so complex. And yes, sorry for changing lanes in this thread. Back to the lens.

I want it. Very much. It's a bit more expensive than the Canon 400/5.6 - especially when having to add a converter - but seems it's worth saving a little longer to get 600/5.6-possibilites!

Last edited:
are you still enjoying the lens Keith? I'm giving serious consideration to getting one (though it would mean selling stuff) and would love to see some more sample shots and hear how your thoughts a month on.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back