• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon DX or FX Camera (1 Viewer)

Lord Muck

Fortune does not change men, it unmasks them.
Hey Guys,
Sorry if this has been asked before,...
But as someone who's had a passion for birding and wildlife in general for many years, and has never had a DSLR camera, and has been doing a lot of research into Nikon camera's, If it was a choice between the Nikon D7200 and the Nikon D750 full frame camera, which of the two would be your choice ...?

As Im reading that the D7200 is great for wildlife and landscape, and the D750 is good for that and indoor photography as well. And i know the D7200 is half the price of the D750. Any help would be great ;)

Hello "Lord Muck,"
This forum sometimes has a low level of activity, so you may not get many responses. I will give you my 2 cents. Choosing a digital camera these days can be really overwhelming and confusing. First of all, before you decide on Nikon and DSLR, you could consider Canon or other types of Interchangeable Lens cameras (ILC's), i.e., mirrorless. But I'm not going to go there. Traditional DSLR's are still a great choice for nature photography, especially if you want to use telephoto for wildlife/birds, and although I often "bad mouth" Nikon, I still think they are just as good as Canon, especially now with the new D500.

I tend to be long-winded, so let me first point you at a very recent article by one of the Nikon photography writers I have read for a long time, Thom Hogan:
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/consumer-pro-dx-or-fx.html

Also the "Photography Life" web site has a wealth of free information under the "Photography Tips" menu. I think every essay is dated at the top, so some of the information may be out of date, but I think most of it is still good. Keep in mind that the guy who started this site uses Nikon gear and the site tends to focus on Nikon gear.

I agree with Thom Hogan that with Nikon DSLR's, really it comes down to 2 basic decisions: (1) consumer or pro build, and (2) DX or FX sensor size. You're already focusing on the more affordable consumer grade choices (D7200 and D750), and I would not steer you away from those. Both are great cameras and both of these have been out for a while and are "proven performers," and they are now less expensive than when they were brand-new models.

As for your original question and DX vs. FX, assuming you have already decided to get a consumer level body (i.e., not the new D500 or D810), then your current top choices are the 2 cameras you mentioned, the D750 (FX) or the D7200 (DX). If bird photography is an important priority to you, I would definitely choose the D7200. The main reason is that it is very hard to get close enough to birds to fill the whole FX frame, especially with smaller birds, so you would end up cropping your D750 photos down to DX size or smaller anyway, and the final cropped image from the D750 would have less detail/resolution than the D7200. Also the money you save by getting the D7200 can be put into your lens (unless you already have a lens). The D750 might be a better choice if you really want to mostly do landscape photography. As long as you fill the whole frame with your subject, the D750 will give you a little better image quality than the D7200. There are more and better wide angle lens choices for the D750 for landscapes and interiors, but there are still some decent lens options that allow you to get ultra-wide with DX.

Good luck to you!
Dave

Last edited:
Having only taken up photography in the past year, I soon realised that I needed a bit more than the d3200 I started with.
I now have a Nikon d7000 and recently a d7200 and i'm more than pleased with both bodies.
I use a Tamron 150-600 and a Nikon 300mm f/4.

I'd recommend you go for the d7200 at the moment.
Next year i'll be going for the d500 when the price comes down, the crop factor in these bodies is why I can't see me needing a full frame body.

I recently put a pic or two in the gallery where you can see the results i'm getting.

I would probably start with the D7200,
but then you need a lens that keeps up with the pixel density.
A Nikon 300mm/f4 PF VR would do it. Will work fine with the TC14EIII.
That will give you up to 840mm in 1.3x crop mode.
Or get the Nikon 200-500/5.6 AF-S VR, but it's heavier (and cheaper).

Are you planning to take Raw or jpeg and if raw, how will you process them?. If you have an efficient program such as Lightroom and a good lens of 300plus I'd go FX every time.
If it's just jpeg go DX.
I find even with the D810 and 400mmm plus TC it's very rare I fill the frame with a subject, but the cropping becomes crucial because you can only do basic composition by eye. And you need some context anyway. So the sensor size becomes important.

Towards the middle of last year i decided to give up birding due to health issues,i traded my long lens and D7100 for a D750,i had made a mistake birding is in my blood so i added a 150-600 to use on the D750,could take bird shots at ISO 12800 no problem the downside was even at lower ISOs i couldn't crop much for the small birds.
Rather than let pride get in the way i sold the D750 and bought a D7200 i find it far better for birding and much better for cropping.
If i had the money still at the moment i would hang fire until some real world results come out from the D500.

A couple of examples,the Cormorant was at ISO 11400 on the D750 and the Duck at ISO 6400 on the D7200

Attachments

• 22319012032_952e8e9528_o.jpg
    22319012032_952e8e9528_o.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 298
  • 23667802784_4e8686a5ac_o.jpg
    23667802784_4e8686a5ac_o.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 319
Hi Lord Muck,
I would certainly recommend looking at the following:-

Do a search for Nikon d7200 Flickr pool
Also search for Nikon d750 Flickr pool

You will be able to view hundreds of photos taken with each camera body. It will give an insight into how various people are using their choice of camera body.
If exif data is included along with the photos, it also gives an indication of how good or bad certain lenses are.

I have the D750 and D7200 - I take a lot of bird shots with Nikon primes, 300PF, 300 f2.8 and 600mm f4

I much prefer the D750, better IQ, less noise at all ISO levels ...... far better sensor, far more "keepers"

Last edited:
The noise situation should never be compered DX to FX,all things being equal the FX should win every time,the 7200 is a great camera though for a DX.

The noise situation should never be compered DX to FX,all things being equal the FX should win every time,the 7200 is a great camera though for a DX.

Of course they can be compared

As I stated it is when you crop small bird images that the DX noise is very noticeable ..... so if that is what you want to do just be aware that you may be disappointed

Get nearer, in good light and the DX images will be acceptable

Bill you bought a D7200 and are not happy,1,000s of bird photographers are happy with DX its a personnel thing,i found cropping a D750 left me less detail.

expensive - DX - full of gadgets - who needs video

they will be putting computer games in Nikon Bodies next plus an app to control your home central heating

Which might not be that bad an idea when you're on the way home after a long day's birding on the coast.

Hermann

BTW: You do realize that the D500 also has a totally new AF-system, right? And appears to give pretty good results at very high ISO?

I think it depends on what light levels you mostly work in,
what lenses you use, TC:s etc.
in low light the D750 have a slight edge, about 1 stop,
IF you can fill the frame, without adding a TC,
and when starting to crop the difference evens out.

If you have a 600/4, I would get a D750 (or other FF cam), but if you can't afford long lenses,
D7200 might be a better alternative.

The many pixels on the D7200 needs good glass though. The pixel size on a D810 corresponds to 100 LP/mm in MTF terms (according to DXO mark),
(15MP DX) a D7200 with 24MP on DX will be even more demanding.

You are correct with this observation.
However, the question of the poster was DX or FX and then noise or better IQ at higher ISO is part of the assessment as light is very often limiting factor and with the aperture already wide open and a required minimum shutter speed ISO is the only parameter left to play with.

Ha ha,
Silly me, I thought Lord Muck would not get many replies, but I forgot that the title of this thread invites a discussion of DX vs. FX, and everybody has strong opinions about that! The funny thing is, Lord Muck seems to have disappeared, but hopefully s/he will eventually see all these posts...

I agree with Vespobuteo: There are many different factors that come into consideration when deciding what body and sensor size to use. In general, for me and my own bird photography, I still prefer DX/crop sensors, but most of my photos are in good light with an ISO ~400; I use the best possible lenses, and I almost always use a tripod and often a flash. Given these specific factors, I think I can still crop my DX images a lot, and I often need to, and I think the end result is as good or better than if I had used a full frame body. We've been round and round with this... Here is an old post from over a year ago where I gave examples of how much I was cropping my DX images and still getting nice results: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3126438#post3126438

A long time ago people on this forum convinced me that a D8XX camera might sometimes give me better results than my D7100/D7200, but I did not want to pay $3K for my camera body. I'm still not convinced that a D750 would match the resolution/detail I get with my D7200 for me, but I could be wrong. For someone who works mostly hand-held in lower light using much higher ISO, maybe the D750 would work better than a D7200.

Dave

Bill you bought a D7200 and are not happy,1,000s of bird photographers are happy with DX its a personnel thing,i found cropping a D750 left me less detail.

I am not unhappy with the D7200 - I have always had a D7000/D7100/D7200 and a D300 alongside my D700 and D750

The D7200 serves a purpose and for £600 what do you expect

My comments related to what you get when you tightly crop a small bird image and the noise that can be seen.

The performance of the D7200 is respectable in many other situations

Last edited:
Hello "Lord Muck,"
This forum sometimes has a low level of activity, so you may not get many responses. I will give you my 2 cents. Choosing a digital camera these days can be really overwhelming and confusing. First of all, before you decide on Nikon and DSLR, you could consider Canon or other types of Interchangeable Lens cameras (ILC's), i.e., mirrorless. But I'm not going to go there. Traditional DSLR's are still a great choice for nature photography, especially if you want to use telephoto for wildlife/birds, and although I often "bad mouth" Nikon, I still think they are just as good as Canon, especially now with the new D500.

I tend to be long-winded, so let me first point you at a very recent article by one of the Nikon photography writers I have read for a long time, Thom Hogan:
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/consumer-pro-dx-or-fx.html

Also the "Photography Life" web site has a wealth of free information under the "Photography Tips" menu. I think every essay is dated at the top, so some of the information may be out of date, but I think most of it is still good. Keep in mind that the guy who started this site uses Nikon gear and the site tends to focus on Nikon gear.

I agree with Thom Hogan that with Nikon DSLR's, really it comes down to 2 basic decisions: (1) consumer or pro build, and (2) DX or FX sensor size. You're already focusing on the more affordable consumer grade choices (D7200 and D750), and I would not steer you away from those. Both are great cameras and both of these have been out for a while and are "proven performers," and they are now less expensive than when they were brand-new models.

As for your original question and DX vs. FX, assuming you have already decided to get a consumer level body (i.e., not the new D500 or D810), then your current top choices are the 2 cameras you mentioned, the D750 (FX) or the D7200 (DX). If bird photography is an important priority to you, I would definitely choose the D7200. The main reason is that it is very hard to get close enough to birds to fill the whole FX frame, especially with smaller birds, so you would end up cropping your D750 photos down to DX size or smaller anyway, and the final cropped image from the D750 would have less detail/resolution than the D7200. Also the money you save by getting the D7200 can be put into your lens (unless you already have a lens). The D750 might be a better choice if you really want to mostly do landscape photography. As long as you fill the whole frame with your subject, the D750 will give you a little better image quality than the D7200. There are more and better wide angle lens choices for the D750 for landscapes and interiors, but there are still some decent lens options that allow you to get ultra-wide with DX.

Good luck to you!
Dave

Many thanks Dave for your excellent observations regarding the differences between the DX and FX. Im leaning towards the D7200 as i will be looking to use it for wildlife photography. Plus its half the price of the D750.

Neil M

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back