• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just Joined The Kowa TSN 883 Club! (1 Viewer)

Lord Muck

Fortune does not change men, it unmasks them.
5 years ago i bought my first spotting scope,... ( the Celestron REGAL M2 80mm ),.. that i used to take up to the Lake District in the U.K ( See image of England's highest mountain, Scafell Pike ) and deepest lake,....which left me less than impressed, when watching the dozens of hikers walking up Scafell Pike, and also scanning for birds of prey,...when the views beyond 40 magnification appeared to be fuzzy at best.

So ive just taken the plunge and bought the Kowa TSN 883 + TE-11WZ 25-60x eyepiece, and the 1.6 Extender,...in the January sales.
I will be taking it back to these mountains when the weather improves, and will let you know how much better the TSN 883 is compared to the average Celestron scope.

Also in the image,.. to give you an idea of the scale of the 3,000ft+ Scafell Pike, and the Lingmell mountain,.. that tiny white dot,
At the base of Scafell,.. and just above the edge of the lake, is a large white farm house, with several outbuildings.

Ps, Im guessing that the distance from the position of the Celestron scope to the middle section of Scafell Pike, would be in the region of 1 mile, if not more, because its hard to be 100% accurate from where we were stood.

Attachments

• Celestron Scope at Wasdale Head - 2014.jpg
    Celestron Scope at Wasdale Head - 2014.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Congrats to your new purchase.

It's a very scenic area where you live! My wife, being a Beatrix Potter fan, alway dreams about travelling to the Lake District.

Congrats to your new purchase.

It's a very scenic area where you live! My wife, being a Beatrix Potter fan, always dreams about travelling to the Lake District.

Thank you Elmer.

I don't actually live in the lake district, but me and my GF visit the area quiet often. And you must come and have a holiday in the lake district in the future, and you will see many mountains, and lakes. Some people would say that they don't compare to the French & Italian Alps, but millions still visit the lake district every year, and love the scenery.

I should be on a commission from the tourist board for this free promo ;)

A winter scene from Yewbarrow mountain.

Here's another view of Lingmell, Scafell Pike and Scafell mountain in winter, taken from the top of Yewbarrow.

Attachments

• Lingmell - Scafell Pike & Scafell Mountains.jpg
    Lingmell - Scafell Pike & Scafell Mountains.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Great pic Lordy and it might easily be two miles to the Pike. You have a super scope with the Kowa, do let us know how you like it when you have had some adventures with it.

Lee

Great pic Lordy and it might easily be two miles to the Pike. You have a super scope with the Kowa, do let us know how you like it when you have had some adventures with it.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I think you could be right about the distance.
As it can be very deceptive when trying to judge distance over water, and then the mountain, from where we were stood, etc.
A friend of mine who goes hiking up there a lot in the summer, reckons it could be over 2 miles to the top of the mountain,.. (just like you said).

On the previous visits we have made over the years, i can remember seeing many people walking up Scafell Pike, and even though i could make out the colours of the jackets that they were wearing at that distance, it was impossible to get a sharper view of them, due to the fuzzyness at 60 magnification with the Celestron scope.

It was the same result with the people we could see on the summit of Scafell Pike, and the summit of Great Gable, from where we were positioned at the side of the lake.

So it will be an interesting to see what the difference will be when using a top of the range "Alpha Scope" with a great eyepiece, and 1.6 extender, pointing at the hikers, compared to the Celestron scope, which i would consider to be a decent, but average spotting scope.

I will let you know the results after our next visit.

Last edited:
Hi Lee,

I think you could be right about the distance.
But it can be very deceptive when you are standing where we were, and trying to judge distance over water, and then the mountain, etc.

A friend of mine reckons it could be over 2 miles to the top of the mountain,.. (just like you said). I can remember seeing people walking up Scafell Pike, and even though i could make out the colours of the jackets they were wearing, the fuzzyness at 60 magnification was the best i could get with the Celestron scope.

And it was the same result with the people i could see on the top of Scafell, and Great Gable, from where we were positioned at the side of the lake.

This is what will be an interesting experiment, with a top of the range "Alpha Scope" with a great eyepiece and 1.6 extender pointing at them.

I will let you know the results after our next visit.

With the Kowa you should be able to read the lable on the outside of the walkers' jackets on the Pike and with the extender, you should be able (in favourable light) to read the lable on the inside of their jackets. To ensure this is possible consume 4 pints of Old Peculier in one hour.

Good luck :t:

Lee

With the Kowa you should be able to read the lable on the outside of the walkers' jackets on the Pike and with the extender, you should be able (in favourable light) to read the lable on the inside of their jackets. To ensure this is possible consume 4 pints of Old Peculier in one hour.

Good luck :t:

Lee

I'm looking forward to seeing what the difference will be between an average scope, and an Alpha Scope. Then we will have a few B :) - and see if the views get even better :-O

Last edited:
5 years ago i bought my first spotting scope,... ( the Celestron REGAL M2 80mm ),.. that i used to take up to the Lake District in the U.K ( See image of England's highest mountain, Scafell Pike ) and deepest lake,....which left me less than impressed, when watching the dozens of hikers walking up Scafell Pike, and also scanning for birds of prey,...when the views beyond 40 magnification appeared to be fuzzy at best.

So ive just taken the plunge and bought the Kowa TSN 883 + TE-11WZ 25-60x eyepiece, and the 1.6 Extender,...in the January sales.
I will be taking it back to these mountains when the weather improves, and will let you know how much better the TSN 883 is compared to the average Celestron scope.

Also in the image,.. to give you an idea of the scale of the 3,000ft+ Scafell Pike, and the Lingmell mountain,.. that tiny white dot,
At the base of Scafell,.. and just above the edge of the lake, is a large white farm house, with several outbuildings.

Ps, Im guessing that the distance from the position of the Celestron scope to the middle section of Scafell Pike, would be in the region of 1 mile, if not more, because its hard to be 100% accurate from where we were stood.

Welcome to the club You won't regret for one minute joining! We love our scope ..............

Sandra

First Impressions,...

I'd forgotten what sunshine was,..and then i woke early yesterday to feel the warm glow of a sunny morning bursting through the curtains.
I quickly got my new Kowa 883 into position, and with bated breath, wondered what i would see through the window. A magpie sat on top of a lamp post at 500 meters, came into focus. From edge to edge it was pin sharp, and that was before Id zoomed up to 60 magnification, which was still sharp at the maximum. Then the phone rang, and i had to go out.
But overall, i was very impressed, and I'm looking forward to enjoying this alpha scope during the next few weeks and months in various locations.

Attachments

• Kowa Spotting Scope - 1.jpg
    Kowa Spotting Scope - 1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 240
Think about it...

Lord Muck;3673515 Then the phone rang said:
You must return the scope,It is a lemon,,,,A true cherry unit would have made you forget the phone call and stay watching.....

3:)

Enjoy the scope..
regards
M

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back