• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A good 10x32 for around $500 or less? (1 Viewer)

black crow

Is there anything out there that is very good for that money?

Besides good optical quality I'm looking for as wide a FOV as possible.

Any suggestions?

I've found these so far but I've just started looking. Has anyone had experience with

Steiner 10x32 XC Binoculars 2025, FOV 387ft. $469
Meopta Meopro HD 10x32mm FOV 384ft. $466
Maven 10x30 FOV 341ft. $500

Last edited:
I would go with the Meopta, build quality, optics and warranty. The only potential problem is that both the 8X32 and the 10X32 had eye cups that were too small in diameter for my eye-sockets, for you they may work.
The eye cups in the 42mm formats are larger in the original B1 series and fit my eyes perfectly.

A.W.

OK thanks. I don't seem to ever have a problem with eye cups. Those Steiners are on sale right now for almost half off. I'd love to find someone who's used them. It's amazing to me that there are quite a few name brand bins out there that don't have even one review on the web. That's frustrating because it's usually one I want to know about lol. Steiner seems to have one of the lamest warranties I've seen in mid to high end binoculars. That's a shame. They don't seem to get talked about much here.

Last edited:
We tried an 8x32 Steiner XC. It was the most poorly performing bino I have seen in a long time. I'm not going to go into details, but I will say it is shameful to price such a poor bino so highly. I haven't used a 10x32 XC, but I would surely never order any XC of any configuration. I also would not pay even half the normal price for one.

I like the Meopro line, but I would say you should try the Nikon M7 10x30 before you decide. The M7 has the same FOV*, a tiny bit more ER, and signficantly less weight compared to the Meopro. Order both from a place that has an easy return policy, and send back the one you don't like. The 8x30 M7 is the one I take when I don't want to bring along our more expensive binoculars.

I have not tried the Maven, and since the specs on their 30mm models is very similar to the less expensive M7's, I am not likely to try them any time soon.

*specs stated on the BHPhoto site

I had a feeling about that and why no talk about them and that big price reduction. Thanks, I'll take the Steiners off my list and look at the Nikon and right now I could get those for 25% off.

Last edited:
The Opticron 10x32 Traveller BGA ED has almost the same specs as the Nikon Monarch 7 10x30

Has anyone compared them or have an opinion on the Opticron?

The Opticron 10x32 Traveller BGA ED has almost the same specs as the Nikon Monarch 7 10x30

Has anyone compared them or have an opinion on the Opticron?

I had the Opticron Traveller in 8x form and traded it for a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 after testing them together.

Thanks for sharing that. I got into this bino buying "hobby" several years back before I joined here with a pair of Nikon 8x42s that looked like staring down a tunnel the fov was so small but otherwise were beautiful to me. I haven't had a pair since. Maybe it's time to go back. This pair seems to have a adequate FOV. Fov is one of the things I really do care about in a decent bino.

I have the Meopro HD 8x42 and really like them (long ER, no CA, Sharp, Bright, Comfortable). A family member has the Nikon Monarch 7 8x32 and found them to be an incredible value, except they are a little too small for me. Eye placement was difficult as well.

If youre in the market for a 10x32, SportOptics has a flash sale on the Meopro 10x32, at 399$. http://www.sportoptics.com/meopta-meopro-10x32-hd-binoculars-562530.aspx

I've very tempted. I love that idea of such a wide FOV. in a 10x However I can't seem to find many people who've even owned the 8x32. I might dive in anyway as I know at least it's a good company. Thanks for the tip, I think. lol

I love that idea of such a wide FOV. in a 10x
The specs of 384ft/1000yards seems to be incorrect---it would imply a FoV=7.3* and that indeed would be a wide one. On Meopta website the FoV is said to be 6.7*, a more credible figure, and that corresponds to 351ft/1000yards.

I've very tempted. I love that idea of such a wide FOV. in a 10x However I can't seem to find many people who've even owned the 8x32. I might dive in anyway as I know at least it's a good company. Thanks for the tip, I think. lol

The Nikon 10x35 E2 (a Porro prism binocular) has a 7º FOV or 367.5'@1000yds. Close things will be out of focus at the edge of the view because of pincushion distortion unless they are dialed into focus. However, at longer distances up to infinity, everything will be in focus. It is not waterproof if that is important to you.

The Nikon E2s are no longer sold in the USA but you can still get them from Japan.

Bob

That's REALLY good to know. I'm going to talk to the salesman about that tomorrow as I plan on calling Sports optics Co. who has the sale going on. It's amazing to me that they let that Fov be incorrect on all the sites I've looked at. It's a bummer if it really is incorrect.

I was also looking at the Zeiss Conquest 10x32 which also claims a FOV of 384ft. They are on sale also and I'd have to go over my stated budget by $200. Any thoughts on those?

Just checked the Zeiss website and they are also misrepresented. The stated FOV is 354ft.

However I just went to the Meopta web site and they have the FOV at 383 Fov. Where did you get your info on these bins?

Albinos has them at 6.8 351 also. B&H has them at 6.7. lol I don't know why the company website would have incorrect info. It's a drag.

How depressing to be getting such crap information from these websites. Thanks for cluing me into the fact that there's some bogus info out there.

Last edited:
That's REALLY good to know. I'm going to talk to the salesman about that tomorrow as I plan on calling Sports optics Co. who has the sale going on. It's amazing to me that they let that Fov be incorrect on all the sites I've looked at. It's a bummer if it really is incorrect.

I was also looking at the Zeiss Conquest 10x32 which also claims a FOV of 384ft. They are on sale also and I'd have to go over my stated budget by $200. Any thoughts on those?

Just checked the Zeiss website and they are also misrepresented. The stated FOV is 354ft.

However I just went to the Meopta web site and they have the FOV at 383 Fov. Where did you get your info on these bins?

Albinos has them at 6.8 351 also. B&H has them at 6.7. lol I don't know why the company website would have incorrect info. It's a drag.

How depressing to be getting such crap information from these websites. Thanks for cluing me into the fact that there's some bogus info out there.

It happens a lot. Converting meters per 1000 meters to feet per 1000 yards often causes this confusion. A meter is longer than a yard. 3 feet is shorter than 1 meter.

Bob

Last edited:
Yeah ok, good to know. Well I'm calling Meopta tomorrow and asking them why they have a angular fov of 6.7 and then calling that 383ft. Actually they don't even list that 6.7 on their site. They just say it's a very wide 383ft.

I wonder what they'll say. I'll probably hear something like you hear politicians say when confronted with their statements. lol and I'll still not be sure of anything. And they'll lose a sale.

It just seems so odd to me that their home website of high end pro optics would make such a simple error.

Don't they review the information before they put it out? It's not like they have a hundred different binos to deal with like Nikon etc. And why wouldn't they list their Angular field of view [deg] along with the Linear field of view? That seems lame to me also. I'd want my potential customers to have accurate information that they could count on. They don't seem very professional in this area.
( Yeah I know I'm ranting, but it's f___ing frustrating to me. ) It's a nice fancy format looks like something one could count on.

MeoPro® HD 32mm Series
HD performance in a compact, lightweight binocular.
The American assembled MeoPro®HD 32mm binocular is perfect for observing nature in high- definition.Full-sized eyepieces and 32mm HD fluoride objective lenses rival the view oflarger binoculars. Its ergonomically shaped rubber armor surrounds a rugged,lightweight magnesium chassis for a comfortable carry in the field. Fluoride(HD) objective lenses eliminate chromatic aberrations (color fringing) anddeliver vivid, razor-sharp images withexceptional brightness. MeoBrightTM ion assisted lens multi-coatingsdeliver an outstanding 99.7% light transmission per lens surface whileMeoShieldTM coating protects exposed lens surfaces from abrasion.

8x32- Extremely wide field of view (414 ft.). Lower magnification offers increaseddepth of field and increased stability. Excellent choice for viewing nature intightly forest terrain and for following birds in flight.

10x32 - Wide field of view(383 ft.). Higher magnification offers increased reach for viewing nature at extended distances. Excellent choice for viewing open prairie,shoreline and mountainous areas.

Features
MeoBrightTM - A proprietary ion-assisted lens multi-coating applied to all air-to-glass optical surfaces. Developed by Meopta, MeoBrightTM ion- assisted multi-coatings eliminate glare and reflections and delivers an industry leading 99.8% light transmission per lens surface.
HD Lens Elements - High-definition, extra-low dispersion, fluoride objective lens elements eliminate chromatic aberration (CA) or color fringing in challenging lighting conditions and deliver pin point resolution, increased contrast and vivid color fidelity.
Focus and Diopter Control - Oversized central focus wheel delivers precise, accurate focus acquisition with no backlash. Right side diopter ring control is easy to adjust and accommodates +/- 3 D.
Chassis Construction - Magnesium alloy chassis is incredibly lightweight and extremely durable.
Waterproof - All binoculars are 100% guaranteed waterproof, submersible and are fully protected against humidity, rain and snow.
Fogproof - All binoculars are purged and sealed with inert Nitrogen gas to provide 100% guaranteed fogproof performance.
Eyepieces - Eyepiece design reduces distortion and delivers a wide, sharp field of view. Multi-position twist-up eyecups accommodate all users.
Protective Armor Design - Beautifully sculpted rubber armor is comfortable to hold for extended periods and protects internal components from shock.
Lifetime Warranty - All binoculars carry Meopta North American Lifetime transferable Warranty.

No one has to respond I'm just ranting to get it off my chest so I can relax and go to bed. I get like this over little things sometimes. I can't help it. Sorry. lol

Last edited:
I think I would try the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x32. The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 is one of the best values at it's price point and actually a 354 foot FOV for a 10x32 is quite wide.

Yeah ok, good to know. Well I'm calling Meopta tomorrow and asking them why they have a angular fov of 6.7 and then calling that 383ft. Actually they don't even list that 6.7 on their site. They just say it's a very wide 383ft.

The PDF catalogue (available in the Download section of Meopta website) states the following:

MeoPro HD 10x32
Magnification 10,0
Objective Lens Diameter (mm) 32
Field of View (°) 6,70
Field of View at (m/1000m) 117
Eye Releif (mm) 15,0
Shortest Focusing Distance (m) 2,0
Exit Pupil Dia (mm) 3,2
Dioptric Correction (D) +/- 3,0
Weight (g) - without caps & strap 598

117 m/1000 m as stated above is 383 ft/1000 m (i.e. the FOV is given for 1000 m, not 1000 yds). Which corresponds to 350 ft/1000 yds. (Likely unintended error in the conversion.)

Thanks for clearing this up. Likely my mistake also. I looked at both the US site and the Overseas one and they were the same so I assumed they were talking @ 1000 yards. I think I may spring for these as some folk here have PMed me some good reviews.

Last edited:
I think I would try the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x32. The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 is one of the best values at it's price point and actually a 354 foot FOV for a 10x32 is quite wide.

They both are about the same fov it turns out. I really didn't want to go beyond $500 bucks. I've read nothing but good about the Conquest but the reviews on the Meopro are also coming in pretty good. My standards are really not alpha standards so I'll likely be very happy with either pair.

EDIT: I ordered the Meopro at $400. They have a 30 day return policy. Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this. I greatly appreciate your knowledge, skills and encouragement. You guys owe me $400 bucks.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing this up. Likely my mistake also. I looked at both the US site and the Overseas one and they were the same so I assumed they were talking @ 1000 yards. I think I may spring for these as some folk here have PMed me some good reviews.

Incidentally you can figure the FOV in feet per 1000 yards by multiplying the Angular FOV given in degrees by 52.5. Your Meopta Meo Pro HD is 6.8º (according to Allbinos) x 52.5 = 357 feet@1000yds.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back