Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.80 average.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 09:41   #451
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Peregrine View Post
I've had mine from NHBS for about a month - would have had before Christmas, but there was a mix up with delivery address.
I'm starting to think I'm being spun a line?

I wonder if my supplier has some kind of spat with Lynx?

I'm not desperate for it, it's not like I'm going on holiday next weeek and waiting for an indespensible field guide but it is odd that they have such issues and if they did have a spat with Lynx, I'd rather know. I'll remain loyal to my supplier anyway as they've been good to me over the years but it does make me wonder what's happening and if I'm getting the real story.

I was told today that NHBS are having problems with the stock they've had (binding issues) and that they currently don't have any either?

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Monday 29th January 2018 at 09:48.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 12:01   #452
lewis20126

Why does anyone order from another supplier, rather than from Lynx direct? Am I missing something?

cheers, alan
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 13:53   #453
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
Why does anyone order from another supplier, rather than from Lynx direct? Am I missing something?

cheers, alan
I have a deal with Christ Media Natur since 2009. So I've got all follow up volumes automatically without placing a new order.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 17:02   #454
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post

cheers, alan
Habit and supporting a small, UK business which I know matters not to many.

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Monday 29th January 2018 at 17:25.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 20:13   #455
KevinWells

I

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I'm starting to think I'm being spun a line?

I wonder if my supplier has some kind of spat with Lynx?

I'm not desperate for it, it's not like I'm going on holiday next weeek and waiting for an indespensible field guide but it is odd that they have such issues and if they did have a spat with Lynx, I'd rather know. I'll remain loyal to my supplier anyway as they've been good to me over the years but it does make me wonder what's happening and if I'm getting the real story.

I was told today that NHBS are having problems with the stock they've had (binding issues) and that they currently don't have any either?

A
Was binding ever an issue with HBW? I did not subscribe so I do not know. Your supplier told you this reason for a delay with an earlier volume as I recall
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 20:18   #456
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWells View Post
Was binding ever an issue with HBW? I did not subscribe so I do not know. Your supplier told you this reason for a delay with an earlier volume as I recall
Honestly Kevin, I can't remember the reason for the last delay but it was a long one! I think I remember being told that a delivery arrived and that they were all 'damaged' and had to be sent back.

My supplier did tell me that trade dealers are being supplied last, those who ordered direct from Lynx, get theirs first.

Has anyone had to send one back with a faulty binding?

In regard to NHBS and that they had none for the same reason, that's not what it says on their website, 'in stock' it says having previously noted a 1-2 week period for despatch.

It will be here when it gets here I suppose!

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Monday 29th January 2018 at 20:22.
Old Thursday 1st March 2018, 05:53   #457
sicklebill

Mine arrived sometime in February, binding seems fine and I've never had issues with that on either HBW or HBM
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 03:36   #458
KevinWells

Lynx website advises that volume 8 will be published in June 2018. A list of the families covered is shown on the website, all orders other than bats that have not already been covered will be included. A special chapter on Conservation priorities for several orders will be included.
And Melanie will be pleased to know that it is now titled Insectivores sloths and colugos

Last edited by KevinWells : Friday 9th March 2018 at 03:42.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 08:24   #459
andyadcock

My Vol 7 will finally arrive today.!!

A
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 08:40   #460
KevinWells

Quote:
My Vol 7 will finally arrive today.!!

A
Hope you enjoy it Andy. I think that the next volume is published in June to get in before the new Walkers Mammals volume is issued.

Last edited by KevinWells : Friday 9th March 2018 at 08:44.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 11:14   #461
jurek

I am looking for reviews of HMW in professional mammal journals or similar publications. Anybody?
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 12:33   #462
Melanie

Quote:
Hope you enjoy it Andy. I think that the next volume is published in June to get in before the new Walkers Mammals volume is issued.
I don't think that the proposed publishing date in June will be uphold. By the way the book title has been changed into Insectivores, Sloths and Colugos.

Last edited by Melanie : Friday 9th March 2018 at 12:48.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 19:01   #463
KevinWells

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
I am looking for reviews of HMW in professional mammal journals or similar publications. Anybody?
On the Lynx website ,up to volume 6, reviews are published in the "more information" panel at the top right of the page.

Last edited by KevinWells : Friday 9th March 2018 at 19:08.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 20:23   #464
andyadcock

On first glance, many of the small rodents in Vol 7 will remain, unidentified for me and I'm surprised that such a seminal work, does not include illustrations of dentition?

I also find it odd that these volumes, rarely, print on the back of the illustration pages, cheapens the look somewhat for me?

A
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 16:34   #465
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
.............I also find it odd that these volumes, rarely, print on the back of the illustration pages, cheapens the look somewhat for me?

A
That is a very smart policy as the likelihood of getting the print to show though is very high. Evidence being the last book by Bill Cooper on pigeons and doves of Australia. They did a second printing supposedly using denser paper. But as I have shown in another thread, the difference was rather minor.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Saturday 10th March 2018 at 18:40.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 16:39   #466
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Lynx website advises that volume 8 will be published in June 2018. A list of the families covered is shown on the website, all orders other than bats that have not already been covered will be included. A special chapter on Conservation priorities for several orders will be included.
And Melanie will be pleased to know that it is now titled Insectivores sloths and colugos
That is very good news indeed. Though I also think they will not be able to uphold that publication date. But I'll be happy if it is not shifted too far into the future. At any rate, this will now become one of my favorite volumes, I'm sure. Lots of groups I know very little about.

This will be the volume with the lowest number of color plates, according to the LYNX info.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Saturday 10th March 2018 at 16:48.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 18:11   #467
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
That is a very smart policy as the likelihood of getting the print to shine though is very high. Evidence being the last book by Bill Cooper on pigeons and doves of Australia. They did a second printing supposedly using denser paper. But as I have shown in another thread, the difference was rather minor.
When you say 'shine', do you mean that the print will show through on the plate?

They do print on the back of some plates though.

A
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 18:42   #468
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
When you say 'shine', do you mean that the print will show through on the plate?

They do print on the back of some plates though.

A
Yes, I have corrected my wording in the original post. Thanks.
!

Old Monday 12th March 2018, 19:46   #469
KevinWells

Sample plates,photos and accounts now available on the Lynx website for volume 8.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 21:37   #470
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Sample plates,photos and accounts now available on the Lynx website for volume 8.
Wow, they seem to really be pushing it. Many plates are apparently not full pages. Seems like Tony Llobet had a somewhat easier job for this volume.
!

Old Thursday 15th March 2018, 18:58   #471
KevinWells

Publication date now 30 July 2018, discount offer open until June 15.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: