• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

juvenile Common Black Hawk? (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please confirm that this is a juvenile Common Black Hawk? Taken near Carara National Park in Costa Rica in January.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• 0A0A5346.jpg
    0A0A5346.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 0A0A5347.jpg
    0A0A5347.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 0A0A5348.jpg
    0A0A5348.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 0A0A5349.jpg
    0A0A5349.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 25
If it is Chris and it could be, although many don't split it, the birds on the Pacific Coast are sometimes treated as a separate species, Mangrove Black Hawk.

Look at the range in the book and they have a very coastal bias.

A

Much appreciated Andy. I'll separate it into Mangrove Black Hawk, as all my pics of the species are from Pacific coastal mangroves.
Chris

I believe it is. I do not know of any updated resource that still make that distinction of Mangrove vs other Common BH.

Niels

I'm sorry to say the status of "Mangrove Black Hawk" was recently reviewed and it is now considered a mere subspecies of Common Black Hawk, with a much more restricted geographical range than previously thought (only northern Pacif coast of South America, from Colombia to Peru. So, Central-american birds, including those from Costa Rica, are now considered to belong to only one subspecies, nominate anthracinus, both along Carribean and Pacific coasts.

See at this address:
http://www.globalraptors.org/grin/researchers/uploads/155/manbhbullboc.pdf

This argument has just been discussed in the Forum, here:
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=148521&highlight=mangrove+black+hawk

HBW Alive has adopted this solution, just like many other recent bibliographical references, including f.e. last year book "Raptors of Mexico and Central America".

Thanks and greetings,
Igor Festari, Italy

I'm sorry to say the status of "Mangrove Black Hawk" was recently reviewed and it is now considered a mere subspecies of Common Black Hawk, with a much more restricted geographical range than previously thought (only northern Pacif coast of South America, from Colombia to Peru. So, Central-american birds, including those from Costa Rica, are now considered to belong to only one subspecies, nominate anthracinus, both along Carribean and Pacific coasts.

See at this address:
http://www.globalraptors.org/grin/researchers/uploads/155/manbhbullboc.pdf

This argument has just been discussed in the Forum, here:
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=148521&highlight=mangrove+black+hawk

HBW Alive has adopted this solution, just like many other recent bibliographical references, including f.e. last year book "Raptors of Mexico and Central America".

Thanks and greetings,
Igor Festari, Italy

I've checked some of my fieldguides and so far, have not found one that splits it as a full species anyway ( a very quick check) so it's not really a new attitude. subtillis is mentioned as a distinctive race, in some books but by no means all and it says ' often has a rufous wash on the feathers'.

A

Last edited:
The handbook "Raptors of the World" by Christie and Ferguson-Lees, considered the most important single reference for the birds of prey of the world, treated Mangrove Balck Hawk (B. subtilis) as a separate species, with a map illustrating its range expanding all along pacific coast from Peru in the south to S Mexico in the north... You can read the species account in the Google Books review of that title.

And this is only one example, even if I agree with you the subtilis form has been treated as a subspecies of anthracinus much more often than a different species, but always with wider geaographical range than recently proved!

Ciao, Igor Festari
Italy

A field guide (person, not book) in Panama stated that he was very happy when the two was joined into one species, because he never could see any differences between the two forms in that country.

Niels

A field guide (person, not book) in Panama stated that he was very happy when the two was joined into one species, because he never could see any differences between the two forms in that country.

Niels

I agree with him, the two "forms" were totally un-identifiable in Panama and Costa Rica at least, which can be acceptable for sub-species but definitely not for separate species.

I agree with him, the two "forms" were totally un-identifiable in Panama and Costa Rica at least, which can be acceptable for sub-species but definitely not for separate species.

Well that makes perfect sense as the range limits of subtilis have been reset, it doesn't occur in Costa Rica or Panama or Venezuela where I've looked for it in the past.

It doesn't mean that they're indistinguishable, it means we were all looking in the wrong place!

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back