• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help, please? Moab, Utah USA (1 Viewer)

Katemail13

Southeastern Utah, USA
Hi, folks.

I saw this bird (and one other) yesterday, June 28, 2009. This bird was catching the mean, biting deer flies around a stream. It looks like it has some sort of small crest. I didn't get a good look at it, so I don't know if the whole bird is this charcoal color. Does anyone know him?

Thanks!

Attachments

• NOID_bird_6-29-09_1.jpg
    NOID_bird_6-29-09_1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 129
That's funny...That was my first thought, too! However, I think Mr. Phainopepla would be WAY out of his territory. This is why I am confused about what he is. :)

I'm leaning Black Phoebe, as Matt suggested. Phainopepla would be unusual for eastern Utah, where Moab is located. EBird has records only for SW Utah. They also usually show a more pronounced crest than is seen in this photo, and a longer, more slender neck.

I agree more photos would be useful. Also did you notice any white wing patches when it flew Kate--or whether it was wagging its tail?

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
My first thought was Black Phoebe. I have both Phainopeplas (Silky Flycatchers) and Phoebes on my property in SoCa and have seen them many times. I am sure it's not a Silky. Head, neck, crest and tail aren't right.
Sue

I have some really terrible shots of Phainopeplas. When they were close, it was dusk, when the sun was out they were too far. :-CStill I think these show the jizz.
Sue

Attachments

• sfc1.jpg
    sfc1.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 35
  • sfc2.JPG
    sfc2.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 36
  • sfc3.jpg
    sfc3.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 31
  • sfc4.JPG
    sfc4.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 40
I am sorry there aren't any better (or more) photos. He didn't hold still for very long, and was far away. I think maybe black Phoebe may be the ticket. Thanks, guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back