• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Signs of spring? (1 Viewer)

Cheshire Birder

Today, due to the lovely sunny day, it seems like the birds are starting to think about spring. Our Oystercatchers have returned to their inland breeding areas. The first Avocets have arrived on the Dee Estuary. I heard numerous common birds singing today.

CB

Indeed CB, lots of birds singing in Derbyshire, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Wren, Dunnock etc. Returning Oycs mating and calling, really starting to feel like spring, soon be Wheatear, Sand Marts to look out for.;)

My apologies, I must have missed that. Seems like a lot of summer migrants are early this year - Sandwich Tern, Osprey and now Sand Martin, so anything is possible

I always look forward to the morning I see the first returning sand martin.

I wonder if the birds are early because they can sense a good summer coming? I do hope so after last year.

Spring is just around the corner for me now! I hope so too, what a washout last summer & year really - I really felt for the birds.

I always look forward to the morning I see the first returning sand martin.

I wonder if the birds are early because they can sense a good summer coming? I do hope so after last year.

Its more to do with what's going on in their wintering grounds, such as change in daylight hours and temperature changes, amongst other things that triggers their migration..

Are the birds early or just odd ones turning up? Some birds mentionned are classic March arrivals. Is nt March supposed to be colder than average according to monthly forecasts?

Are the birds early or just odd ones turning up? Some birds mentionned are classic March arrivals. Is nt March supposed to be colder than average according to monthly forecasts?

There's a bit of an ecological advantage to birds arriving early and 'pushing the boundaries' - if they survive any cold snaps they get territory early.

Ring Ouzel, Osprey and Swallow all reported from Cornwall in the last few weeks.

Don't think any classic 'early overshoots' been reported yet? eg Hoopoe, Alpine Swift, GS Cuckoo etc ?

today will be a shock for any early migrants! more like January and no sign of temperatures getting back to average. A long range forecast says April will be average, but signs of a significantly wet May. hope they're wrong regarding the latter

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back