• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

having trouble with focusing (1 Viewer)

falconer2

i use a bushnell elite scope with 30x eyepiece. its the bayonet type. not sure if there's a 20x
my camera is a nikon p340 zoomed out all the way on Manual focus
my adapter is a celestron digital camera universal adapter.
now i position camera up tight to eyepiece .. no vignetting.
use manual focus and still am getting a little out of focus on birds about 1 km away.
1. should my camera lens be almost touching the eye piece or back away?
2.i have the rubber of the eye piece rolled back 'cause i use glasses. should i roll it out so it forms a cup?
thanks for any and all help.
i focus both the camera and spotting scope once the camera is positioned.
stymied Falconer

First thing to try is to focus on an object (stationary) w/ the scope. Then attach the camera and use Autofocus-Single to lock onto the image through the scope. Use the Self-timer on the camera to avoid camera shake and see how well your image looks. You might need to take some test shots by defocusing the scope quarter turns to the rear of your target and to the front of your target to verify whether your system is back-focusing or front-focusing. Also try using a high-ISO setting on the camera to maximize shutter speed w/ the Aperture wide open. Hope this helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back