• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pinholes found. (1 Viewer)

Binastro

Today I received two Drill Gauges. One metric, one imperial.

They cost £2.40 each.

The metric one has fractional size holes from 1.0mm to 13.0mm in 0.5mm steps.

On the left side there are 10 pinholes from 1.0mm to 5.5mm, running vertically.

There is sufficient distance between the holes to easily use them as a guide to eye pupil size.

The middle row 6.0mm to 9.5mm.

The right side 10.0mm to 13.0mm.

I only need the left side and maybe one in the middle row.

I will wait till night to use it on out of focus stars, but initial results with the lights off but sunshine outside the drawn curtains are encouraging.

The imperial one goes from 1/16 inch to 1/2 inch in 64ths, so quite different sizes, which may be useful.
There are 13 holes from 1/16 to 1/4 inch on the left side, so a bit closer between hole sizes.

I will check whether the holes are slightly wider than indicated, as I don't know whether a drill bit is sized or the holes that they make.

Both are stainless steel plates of a handy size.

Duratool D03115 Stainless Steel 25 hole metric drill gauge 1 - 13mm.

Also Imperial version.

Well known site. ~£5.59 including postage.

The gauges are made in India.

The 13.0mm hole measures 13.00mm.
The 12.5mm hole measures 12.50mm.

Vernier calipers reading to 0.02mm.

So I think that the holes are accurate sizes for exit pupils and eye pupils, and even eye outer irises.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back