• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (4 Viewers)

I really like the latest version. That is a great and, once again, unique view of the pair of ducks. That is fantastic stuff - always so fresh!!!

I should add that I felt a bit lost looking at the first version. I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at. With the vertical composition, it seemed that everything came together and you have great altitude in both the birds and the cliffs.

I agree with everyone else. The second version is tighter and I like that you turned the page. The first version although more free, is a bit confusing. And I think Tim might be on to something; giving the goosanders more of a presence might be an interesting direction to go.

(Has anyone noticed that the spell check on this thing always underlines the specie names of birds? Shouldn't those automatically be in the dictionary???)

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE the redshanks...f words and all. What you do with paper, Nick, is something amazing.

Thanks for all the input on the goosanders, it's sometimes hard to decide on the definitive version of a scene, but I think number 2 wins. I'm working a bit more rapidly now, and with mess output increased, these are the latest two....

Attachments

• picsendfeb 001.jpg
    picsendfeb 001.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 87
  • picsendfeb 002.jpg
    picsendfeb 002.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 85
Thanks for all the input on the goosanders, it's sometimes hard to decide on the definitive version of a scene, but I think number 2 wins. I'm working a bit more rapidly now, and with mess output increased, these are the latest two....

A glorious "mess" it is too, I use the term lightly....

Both are great, though the brilliant comp on the first sneaks it for me. The tree sitting female is a wonderful touch, all the better for being understated. Hope I dont ruin the surprise for everyone else by making the point! I didn't see it straight away, hence the edited post! Two fantastic paintings Nick....

Last edited:
Love 'em Nick. The first one is effin' brilliant! Colour, composition, technique all spot on. Sod the mess in the dining room, keep working!

Mike

Yeah, since when does the mess get to you???

Really fantastic stuff you are pumping out there. There is a certain ambiance about these latest pieces that I am really getting into.

LOL, the mess never really gets to me, unless it's last night's dinner things left on MY studio table! I'm just concerned that I'm going down a rather 'scrappy' route at the moment, and that when I come out of it I'll want to redo all the pictures in a more considered way. Saying that, I'm sure we'd all like to paint like someone else, at the end of the day, how you paint is how you paint and you've just got to keep doing it.

Here's today's sketching results, after Spring had sprung things went Parus/Poecile up and Winter came back. I got up early, saw the snow and went back to bed for an hour. The sun had come back out when I decided that I would go birding, but there was a bitter north wind, so no Cranes flying through (some went through a few days ago, and I still need them!) and no singing Woodlark either - 6 and a half blank years now for me! So I sketched a Chiffchaff, a Skylark, a Peregrine, a Wren and a Chaffinch.

Attachments

• poiufghj 008.jpg
    poiufghj 008.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 76
  • poiufghj 009.jpg
    poiufghj 009.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 80
  • poiufghj 006fg.JPG
    poiufghj 006fg.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 93
  • poiufghj 007fgh.JPG
    poiufghj 007fgh.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 74
making a start on the chiffchaff in watercolour, going to use quite a dry brush technique and layer the colours on slowly - have jut got a copy of handbook to the birds of the WP and have been enjoying Laurel Tucker's illustrations immensely, so we'll be using her for inspiration.

Attachments

• DSCF4993.JPG
    DSCF4993.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Need some, Alan? You can have some of ours. No, really, I insist ... take $@%*# all of it!

Can't wait for this Nick, love the layered, twining branches.

Cheers Jomo!

Woke up this morning to a fresh snowfall! 3 inches or so! Be careful what you wish for people..God must be reading this forum too;)

He! He! He!

Let's see...Nick Derry and layering colours on slowly...Hmmmm, I see a*se biscuits coming on!

It's a great composition Nick, stick with it!

Mike

just quickly dropping in before my lesson while the internet is back up and working again - here are the randy blackbirds and a chiffchaff - the blackbirds are due for a redo - landscape and cleaner, I definitely overworked the black oil pastel on this one! Chiffchaff may become victim of a little bit of white paint to lighten some areas (or may not!)

Attachments

• poiufghj 010.jpg
    poiufghj 010.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 101
  • poiufghj 011.jpg
    poiufghj 011.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 109
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back