• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinions on German HG's? (1 Viewer)

FJDave

Anyone have one of the new German HG models. I would like to hear comments and opinions. I'm especially interested in the advertised wider field of view. Thanks!

The German HG models differ quiete a bit from the Japanese HGs. They have a lot more contrast now (Minox says the contrast was increased by 17%, though I didn`t know that contrast is measurable). The view is now very similar to a Leica binocular (Minox is lead by an Ex - Leica), except that they have a little less pincushion distortion. The contrast makes a big difference for the impression of brilliance and the fast focus system works a lot better, since the focus snaps better into position.
The field of view has increased indeed. The 8x43 has now 126m/1000m, which is not far from the 130m average of the premium class anymore (though Zeiss and Swarovski have reached 135m/1000m and 136m/1000m). The 10x43 (114m/1000m) and the 8x33 (142m/1000m) have now the biggest fields of view of all premium binoculars of their classes.

Downsides are that the new HGs have become a little bigger and heavier, the advertized numbers are no longer correct. At 710g (720g for the Apo) for the 8x43 and the 10x43 they are still the smallest and lightest fully rubber armoured premium 42/43 binoculars I know. And second, especially for the Apo versions, that due to the increased contrast they have a little more CA than their predecessor, which had virtually non. They are in terms of CA control at the same level as the Ultravids (non Apo) or the Ultravid HDs (Apo).

Apo or non Apo, they have become really great binoculars and they also feel like premium binoculars in your hand, very different to many Chinese brands with good optics.

Reinhard

Hello and thank you for the information. I am very new to optics so some of what you said is not familiar yet but I do understand most. Cameralandny had a special last week and I couldn't resist. I ordered a German 8x33 and a German 8x43 both non APO. They have not arrived yet, most likely tomorrow. I will open to check but at least one will be as a Christmas gift to myself so won't be able to get much time until after the holidays. I already have the Japan made 8x33 and really like it. I do look forward to the wider FOV with the 33 and the extra light at dawn and dusk with the 43. Minox website says 342' FOV for the 33 which I assumed was incorrect. Thank you for the updated numbers as well.

I took the 8x33 to an Ohio State football game this past Saturday and they were great. Well liked by a couple who tried them as well. If the new MIG's are much better at all I will be very happy. I am very suprised I don't hear/see/read a lot more about the new MIG HG line. Sure seems like a great binocular to me. A little extra size and/or weight does not bother me. I recently purchased a harness which negates the weight issue for the most part.

I do have one complaint if you will. I don't care for the bag. I'm a fairly big guy and with extra clothing and a coat and hat the strap didn't fit well over neck or shoulder while walking to and from. I would like to find a better bag with it's own longer strap and better protection as well as more ease of use.

Thanks again. I will post my impressions when I can. Hopefully some other owners will post their impressions as well.:t:

If you don´t mind the little growth of the binoculars, I guess you will be delighted with their views. A little post of your impressions would be nice.
342`FOV should be the correct number for the new 10x43, the 8x33 should be around 426`.
If it is mainly the length of the strap that is bothering you, you may think of buying a quick release strap in a Camera shop, for example from Matin. They are quiete useful anyway.
Enjoy your new binoculars. :)

I do have one complaint if you will. I don't care for the bag. I'm a fairly big guy and with extra clothing and a coat and hat the strap didn't fit well over neck or shoulder while walking to and from. I would like to find a better bag with it's own longer strap and better protection as well as more ease of use.

Thanks again. I will post my impressions when I can. Hopefully some other owners will post their impressions as well.:t:

I, too, will be most interested in your impressions of the German HG's. I handled several examples at Cameraland on a recent trip to NYC and was impressed but was put off by the nosebleed prices and didn't do a careful evaluation. Doug's current open box specials offer, however, is very appealing and hopefully will be noticed by the Santa's helper I live with.

I am not a fan of binocular cases generally other than for protection during transport and usually use a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack (where do they come up with these names???) to avoid the problem of what to do with case after removing the binocular.

I continue to think that Minox offers remarkable value at all price points, and think my Japanese 8 x 33 HG are the bees knees.

I have had my 8x33 MIG HG for a few days now and have spent quite a bit of time in the field with them.
First of all, in the hand they have good weight (not lightweight - fairly substantial for a mid size bin) and are extremely well built. The rubber armouring must be 5 or 6mm thick, I think these could take a fair bit of abuse!
Unusually, the focus knob is knurled metal. It has a high quality feel to it but it is stiff. Out in the cold with bare fingers it can be uncomfortable to turn but indoors it loosend up somewhat. I'm sure that with use things will ease up.
I was worried that the 16.5mm or eye relief would not be enough, but it is plenty enough and I even have to turn the eyecups out by one click. Staying with the eyepieces, the IPD is critical with these bins, if you don't have the barrels exactly the correct distance apart you get blackouts but the hinge is very stiff and doesn't move in use so this isn't an issue. The diopter adjustment is via a knurled metal ring and is lockable, you pull the ring up, adjust then push down to lock.
If the image quality wasn't as fine as the well engineered body these would be a major dissapointment but the view is spectacular! These binoculars are very, very bright and very sharp. The FOV is a wide 130m but feels to me even wider as you don't really notice the blackness around the edge of the image. The contrast is very high and the colours are very natural with no noticeable bias.
The focus is quick, going from your feet to infinity in a single 360 degree turn of the focus knob but it really isn't the problem that some make out. You just have to be a bit more delicate that what you may be used to. I have read that these are not fast binoculars to use in the field but I think that is based on first impressions, after a bit of use you will adjust no problem.
These are priced towards the top end of the mid range but I would put them ahead of the more expensive Meopta Meostar due to the more natural image and better build quality.
On a final note there is a touch of CA in high contrast areas but it is low and is not a problem.
Overall these are fine binoculars which I recommend without reservation. If you can't afford the very top end then you get all the quality here at half the price. Well done Minox.

Took my MIG 10x43's out in the sun for the first time yesterday, and thoroughly impressed, the feel and handling are excellent, I love the knurled metal focus wheel which was easy to use with gloves on and has a touch of quality in the way it looks. It may be a gimmick but the distance scale on the focus wheel is handy if you don't judge distance very well. The optics are superb, very sharp, excellent colour reproduction and saturation and compared with what they replace very bright with no obvious signs of colour fringing or weird aberrations.
I measure quite wide between my eyes and I have no issue with blackouts with these which is a welcome relief as I normally have to position the bins carefully.
the main objective lens caps which hang below when open did initially look a bit odd but having spent money on excellent quality bins it makes sense to protect the main lenses when not in use
My only grip is the strap, whilst a little short which I could live with the webbing is poor quality and I will swap mine out as soon as I choose a suitable replacement, the strap give the user no feeling of adequate robustness. These weigh in at 100grams more than my previous bins at over 700grams

Coupled with Ron's post of ex demo bins from Sherwoods (which mine were) I reckon I got a bargain.

FJDave,

Since you now have both the MIG & MIJ 8x33, can you tell a significant difference between the 2? Enough difference to warrant the extra expenditure? Have a MIJ 8x33 waiting for me at the post office (delayed thanks to the lovely snow/ice we have recieved here in the Bermuda triangle of weather - north central Texas!).

Obviously, the extra FOV will be great, but in terms of optical clarity, focus wheel, etc - worth it or not?

FJDave,

Since you now have both the MIG & MIJ 8x33, can you tell a significant difference between the 2? Enough difference to warrant the extra expenditure? Have a MIJ 8x33 waiting for me at the post office (delayed thanks to the lovely snow/ice we have recieved here in the Bermuda triangle of weather - north central Texas!).

Obviously, the extra FOV will be great, but in terms of optical clarity, focus wheel, etc - worth it or not?

Well, yes I have had both for a while as well as the 10x43 (couldn't play with them until after Christmas) but I'm in Ohio and our weather has been bad this year. Very few days of sun even which makes a huge difference (to me anyway) when looking through these 33mm bins. I have kinda kept the MIG's hid away until better weather. I still take the MIJ's out for the few walks I've been on this year. This past week I've had both of the MIG's out and all I can say is wow! The 8x33 MIG is much clearer and sharper with a seemingly much bigger fov (over 420' I think) and better contrast as well. If I had to pick just one from what I already have it would be the 8x33 MIG hands down. I keep hoping to get them all out and take some pics and write a little more but like I said, this winter has been not so good. Just yesterday I put the MIJ's in the drawer and left the MIG's (33's) out next to my chair. They still wow me everytime I look through on a sunny day, which we had for a while yesterday. As stated in another thread (or maybe above, not sure) the MIG is a tad bigger which is why I'd like to take some comparison pictures but it is minimal. If you didn't have both you would probably never notice. I will keep the MIJ but have decided it will ride in my car during the summer months and the MIG's will be my main users for sure. I really liked the MIJ's too and had no complaints but I also didn't really have anything to compare to. If I would have not bought the MIG I would have been plenty happy. Yes the fov is smaller and that makes it lack a bit when looking at landscape and following something moving but the build quality and view is still very nice. You know you're holding a nice quality piece of equipment. Focus wheel is the same but actually smoother on the MIJ however I suspect it's from much more use. The MIG is getting better (less stiff) with use now. Same with the 10x43. I currently don't know what else to say other than I don't know how bins can get much better than this. I hope to visit a Cabellas this summer and try a few of the alpha's just for kicks though. I feel confident nothing will beat it that is even close to the money I spent but who knows? Heck, I have less in a 8x33 and a 10x43 (MIG) than most any alpha's cost for just one! Please let us know how you like yours. :t:

Alas, MIJ Minox may not be for me. I just got them from the post office and took them out for a look at whatever might be out & about. Found quite a few Fox Sparrows, E. & Spotted Towhees, White-throated Sparrows and the like.

First and foremost, optimal eye placement seems to be difficult to find on these bins (I do wear glasses) and something is not quite right the left barrel - I felt like I just couldn't get a clear focus. Actually, the shallow depth of field is something I seemed to notice quickly and didn't care for. Visually, I felt they were no better than the bins I have (Pentax 10x42 DCF SP, Zen-ray ED 1 8x43 and E.O Ranger SRT 8x42), in fact, I felt they were a little worse. The clarity was certainly nothing to be wowed about and while the focusing knob was indeed very smooth, it was (as others have commented) a bit hard to get to a point where I was really satisfied with the view. Panning with these was a bit odd as well, it was a bit visually disturbing to do so. I didn't get nauseated or disoriented, but felt a bit uncomfortable - like the FOV was curving as I panned. I have never had bins do this before!

I was looking at a Hermit Thrush in the shade of a tree - not deep shade at all mind you and I could not get much detail on the bird at all. Had I not seen the bird in better light a few minutes before, I am not so sure I would have known what it was.

I also found the overall body of the bins a little small to hold comfortably. I don't think my hands are overtly large, but I found myself wanting to get a better grip on them and simply had nothing to work with. Am going to take them out again, in a bit, along with my other bins for comparison. I have a feeling these will no tbe keepers.

I'm sorry to hear you don't care for it but I do understand. I am getting ready to go for a walk with my boy. It's snowing so I went and got the MIJ out. When I looked through it it does seem small now. And yes, I had issues with the more shallow depth but guess I kinda got used to it. (To me it's the small fov that makes it hard to pan) I quickly got spoiled with the MIG. It is much improved in all areas. Even the eye relief is "different" but I don't know enough to properly explain it. Overall it (the MIG) really is quite a bit nicer in my opinion. I still like the MIJ though and won't part with it any time soon. My MIJ is clear although not like the MIG. I wonder if you got a defective unit?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back