• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Picture file IDs (1 Viewer)

T0ny

Okillre Member
When I download pix from the memory card in my camera to the computer, each pic has its own unique id name. The problem comes when I've deleted the original pics on the memory card, taken some more pix, and want to download them to the same folder. The unique id is duplicated.

What I have been doing is changing the id of those already downloaded, by re-naming them with a prefix of the year and day number when I downloaded them (i.e. those downloaded today would have a prefix of 03061). This has the advantage of listing them in the approximate order of taking, as well.

Any I decide to enhance for use elsewhere are renamed with a title indicating the content, which leaves the original untouched, and periodically I offload the lot onto a Zip disk, for eventual burning to CD-Rom.

Has anyone else any other suggestions for dealing with this situation (I hesitate to call it a problem, yet equally it hardly counts as a feature) ?

Tony :t:

You should be able to reset the file numbering system on the camera, it seems that at present you have it set to 'Reset to zero' you ought to be able to set it to 'continuous' and this will solve the problem.

Yes, many thanks Nigel - I'll plough through the instructions and see if I can work it out. Cheers.

Tony

Create subdirectories with a meaningful name/date and move them down into the new directory before dumping from the camera again!.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back