• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron HR 80 GA ED (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Stewart

I'd be interested in any comments regarding the subject line telescope, and if possible, how it compares to some of the decidedly more expensive telescopes with a similar aperture, and ED glass. If I do go for one, I expect I'll be using it with an SDL eyepiece. At the moment, my telescope is an old HR60R ED.

Thanks for your help.

I have read that some people don't think the HR80 is much of a step up from the Opticron ES80 ED which is cheaper (being the next model down the line up).

I tired it once briefly some years ago and liked it. Can't remember why now.

Fov view is a bit narrow though and the weight is high, those would be the two things that would put me off but if the view was good enough I may forgive it them.

Thanks for your comment.

I took the plunge yesterday and ordered a used, mint condition (with boxes) copy complete with SDL v2 eyepiece. It arrived a short time ago, and it really is in mint condition. I wonder if someone found it too heavy to take out and use in the real world. Initial tests from my entrance lobby seem promising.

I'll try and get out with it later for a more thorough check. It's good to see that the Stay-on case is much better designed than the last one I bought, but that was in 1996!

Some observations

I've now had chance to use my new 'scope a little, and from today I'm wearing new spectacles, so my distance vision is better.

In good light the Opticron HR 80 GA ED (with SDL v2 eyepiece) works well, but in poorer light such as around dusk is when I found it really excelled itself. Scanning the landscape shortly before dusk using 7x50 binoculars (and which really were brighter than my normal 8x42 bins) I noticed a slightly darker smudge in a distant field. Turning the 'scope onto the smudge, I could see that it was a clearly defined guy wearing a yellow anorak, and he was using a metal detector. Going back to the 7x50 bins did show a hint of yellow, but still mostly smudge - so I'm impressed. A week earlier, I'd tested the scope against a cormorant roosting high in a tree against a bright sky. There was negligible haloing, and I could see the pattern of the black feathers on the back of the cormorant.

Some minor points:
The new 'scope came with the SDL v2 eyepiece, and that fits and works well. I also have an original SDL eyepiece which works well on my old High Resolution 60S scope. That SDL eyepiece, whilst it mechanically fits to the new 'scope, doesn't permit focus at Infinity. The furthest I can focus is at around 30-50m, so some adjustment either in the telescope or in the eyepiece may be necessary.

The SDL v2 eyepiece does not fit to my old High Resolution 60S scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back