• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for advice on a lighter weight fluid head (alternative to manfrotto 128 RC) (1 Viewer)

scottwinton

I just bought a manfrotto 190 carbon fiber tripod to try to lighten my scope setup and swapped over my my manfrotto 128 RC.

I haven't done much testing yet, but the rig seems to perform just as well as my old heavier setup under windless conditions inside my flat.

My concern is that with these lightweight legs, the system seems especially top-heavy and I'm wondering if it might be worth swapping out the 128 RC (which weighs nearly 1 kg) for a lighter head.

I really like the 128 RC for scoping. I like the quick release plate, the ability to change tension on pan and tilt and the long stick.

But I'd be willing to compromise on some of these feature if I could cut the weight down by ~500g.

Any advice on products to consider?

In case it matters, I'm using a Nikon ED 82 fieldscope, which weighs 1.6 kg.

I'm currently considering the Benro S2 head. Only 400g.

I've no idea what it's like. I haven't seen one yet.

If you are worried that your new set up is too light or top heavy, you can hang a backpack or bag under it while in use (assuming there's a hook).

I also have a Nikon Fieldscope 82ED, and I long used an older version of the 128 RC as my only scope head.

In looking for something much lighter, I tried Manfrotto 700RC2 (several units for several years) but found it unsatisfactory. Not stable enough; too stiff in cold, no provision for sliding plate to balance scope.

I find the Gitzo GH1720qr perfect. Light, stable, smooth, easy to use, and easy to adapt to Arca-Swiss plates too.

--AP

I think you went wrong end first as the Manfrotto 190 legs just aren't all that. RRS, Sirui and Induro all make sturdier legs That are lighter. With the Kowa you have ( I have the 884} you need leds more than head. The 128 is ok I like the Manfrotto 500 better and its a little lighter. The head ain'yyour problem The 883 will show up every little shake, shimmy and breath of wind on a week set of legs.
Steve
Who did the classic buy cheep, buy again ect. finally I spent some bucks on a big Induro and haven't looked at tripods since

Just to add a thought or two. It sounds like Alexis has much more experience here than I do so take what follows for what it's worth.

I'm using the Meopta 82mm S2 (1.8kg) on Manfrotto 190 carbon CX3 legs with a 700RC2 head (1.75kg total without the arm. I use the scope itself to aim and the arm just gets in the way). The combo seems to work very well. The 128RC is a nicer head, no question, and I use that one too, but it's also twice the weight.

Can't comment on the Gitzo head. Out of my price range. :-O

I think you went wrong end first as the Manfrotto 190 legs just aren't all that. RRS, Sirui and Induro all make sturdier legs That are lighter. With the Kowa you have ( I have the 884} you need leds more than head. The 128 is ok I like the Manfrotto 500 better and its a little lighter. The head ain'yyour problem The 883 will show up every little shake, shimmy and breath of wind on a week set of legs.
Steve
Who did the classic buy cheep, buy again ect. finally I spent some bucks on a big Induro and haven't looked at tripods since

If I may jump in -- what model Induro did you have luck with? I'm looking for my new 88mm scope.

JLee
Induro has changed their numbering system slightly but it would be equivalent to the CLT 303 or 303L depending on how much height you need.
Steve

I also think that changing the tripod will help. The brands Induro, Sirui and maybe Gitzo are listed her, a 3-section has better sturdity. The little Gitzos 2180 and 1720 are fine and sometimes can be achieved used. I 'm using the 2180 at the light combo and it works fine: very smooth and sturdy with the ability of 'built-in-counterweight'. The tripod and the head are (very) often too weak, the main interest is by the optics. If there's a little windy condition, using the combo with a light tripod etc. makes no fun. See my experience with the MM4 here: http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,436519
If I Need a more stury combo I'm using my Gitzo 3530, let's say Beaufort-scale 4. Too light tripods with a heavy scope tend to fall by ittle impulse, e.g. touching with the arms etc. So I say that the weight under the scope (head&tripod) should be the same or a little more than the optics. It's also more fun to use with panning etc.

good light&weight
Manfred

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back